Funny, Or Not Funny?

Ok, I'm going to throw this out there with the following choices available for these standup comics.

Please rate them as either "funny", "not funny", or "marginal". Would like to see what others think.

Dane Cook

Jake Johannsen

Chris Rock

Jim Gaffigan

Brian Regan

1970's era Steve Martin

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Mine would read,

Cook--Marginal

Johannsen--Funny

Rock--Funny

Gaffigan--Not Funny

Regan--Funny

Martin--Marginal

Edited by LongJim

Ok, I'm going to throw this out there with the following choices available for these standup comics.

Please rate them as either "funny", "not funny", or "marginal". Would like to see what others think.

Dane Cook

Jake Johannsen

Chris Rock

Jim Gaffigan

Brian Regan

1970's era Steve Martin

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Mine would read,

Cook--Marginal

Johannsen--Funny

Rock--Funny

Gaffigan--Not Funny

Regan--Funny

Martin--Marginal

Cook - Absolute beating

Johannsen - never heard of him

Rock - Marginal, approaching funny...ask me 5 years ago I'd say funny...but its the same bit over and over

Gaffigan - funny, but certainly not the dry comedy king...that goes to Jon Hodgeman

Regan - never heard of him

70s Martin - genius

Cook - The image and persona has killed the semi-funny stuff he has. Now all I think of is the d-bag from Stepbrothers who yells "Dane Cook. Pay-per-view. 20 minutes. Let's go."

Johannsen - never heard of him either

Rock - I'd say he is marginal, but when he has a chance to do something different, he does a good job. That bit on Comedy Central last year where he and Stephen Wright did each other's material was greatness.

Gaffigan - funny - won't change your life, but funny

Regan - never listened to him, but he was very big in a few different church crowds, which means he must be pretty accessible. Believe it or not, I respect anyone who can pull off funny without dick jokes.

70s Martin - so part of my early movie and comedy memories that I can't criticize him ever

• Downvote 1

Interesting takes!

I should have been clearer regarding Steve Martin--he's genius. I just thought that as a standup, he was hit or miss. I love the guy, though. Brilliant as a writer and wonderful humorist.

Regan's earlier material was pretty hilarious. I was not too impressed with the latest stuff I've seen him do.

Johannsen IMO, is another guy who was really funny earlier in his career. Still good, but not great.

On a related note--am I the only one who gets severe ass-whip from Flight of the Conchords?

On a related note--am I the only one who gets severe ass-whip from Flight of the Conchords?

I don't get ass whip, but I am amazed at how hit or miss it is. Take their season last year. you had 4 crap episodes, 4 mediocre ones and 2 really good ones (the one where Jemaine was jealous of Coco and another one I barely remember - I think it was about racism.)

It's probably a good thing for everyone that they are calling it quits on the show after this year.

Also, the movie was a beating, but Tenacious D live is beautiful.

• Downvote 1

I don't get ass whip, but I am amazed at how hit or miss it is. Take their season last year. you had 4 crap episodes, 4 mediocre ones and 2 really good ones (the one where Jemaine was jealous of Coco and another one I barely remember - I think it was about racism.)

It's probably a good thing for everyone that they are calling it quits on the show after this year.

Also, the movie was a beating, but Tenacious D live is beautiful.

The cuts I've seen from the Flight of the Conchords TV show seem like over-produced versions of their genius stand-up...the most notable one I can remember was the TV show version of the "Hip-Hop-opotomous vs. the Ryhme-nosorous" tried to make the song in to an 80s rap video...it is so much better when Brett and Jermaine are just sitting on stage with their accoustic guitars. Brett and Jermaine have amazing chemistry that doesn't need to be dolled up with stuff like plots, special effects or other actors.

The cuts I've seen from the Flight of the Conchords TV show seem like over-produced versions of their genius stand-up...the most notable one I can remember was the TV show version of the "Hip-Hop-opotomous vs. the Ryhme-nosorous" tried to make the song in to an 80s rap video...it is so much better when Brett and Jermaine are just sitting on stage with their accoustic guitars. Brett and Jermaine have amazing chemistry that doesn't need to be dolled up with stuff like plots, special effects or other actors.

Yeah - they have mixed their best stand up songs in with show plots - at least the first episodes.

to avoid clutter, I'm just linking my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmDTSQtK20c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY8jaGs7xJ0...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2LpeA3jcEU...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqbB8aPD1UU...feature=related (ginger balls is always funny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCub8r1T5Rs...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fycGFGSeKpc...feature=related (my favorite - part of my wedding slideshow)

• Downvote 1

Cook--Tries too hard, but hs some natural talent.

Johannsen--alright

Rock--Very funny

Gaffigan--acquired taste, but I think he is funny.

Regan--pretty funny

Martin--pretty genius(if you haven't seen the new Pink Panther, do so)

It would also be wrong to not pay tribute to the late great George Carlin. Joe rest his soul.

Dane Cook - Not Funny. He needs to stop yanking other peoples' material. He also needs to stop yelling at people. Both him and Carlos Mencia are less funny the louder they get. I liked them both before they got big.

Jake Johannsen - Don't know this guy.

Chris Rock - Funny. He hasn't done much lately, but he's always been relevant to daily topics and puts a very funny spin on it.

Jim Gaffigan - Don't know the guy.

Brian Regan - Marginal.

1970's era Steve Martin - Funny. And classic, too.

I know you didn't even invite your best friend, so there probably was no chance you'd invite some guy you've never met outside of the interwebs...but I am very sorry that I missed your wedding.

That said...I think "If you're In To It" may play at my wedding (which, God willing, will never occur).

I know you didn't even invite your best friend, so there probably was no chance you'd invite some guy you've never met outside of the interwebs...but I am very sorry that I missed your wedding.

That said...I think "If you're In To It" may play at my wedding (which, God willing, will never occur).

Hey - we were short on space and if I invited every internet boyfriend I had, we would have barely had room for the cake. At invitation time, we had only hung out about 4 times, but hey, I can accept the criticism.

If you do ever tie the knot, I think you should invite everyone who posts in this section of the board and have a political round table in lieu of a reception.

• Downvote 1

Hey - we were short on space and if I invited every internet boyfriend I had, we would have barely had room for the cake. At invitation time, we had only hung out about 4 times, but hey, I can accept the criticism.

If you do ever tie the knot, I think you should invite everyone who posts in this section of the board and have a political round table in lieu of a reception.

I see what you're doing...ensuring I get divorced quickly...nice

Dane Cook

Jake Johannsen

Chris Rock

Jim Gaffigan

Brian Regan

1970's era Steve Martin

Thoughts?

Dane Cook - Sucks. I do not like him or his humor.

Johannsen. Very funny. I heard Kevin Nealon on the radio last week and thought it was Jake for a while.

Chris Rock. Genius. Pure Genius. "I aint saying it's right...but I understand."

Gaffigan is pretty funny.

Don't know Regan

'70's Martin is genius, and he HATED doing standup.

IMHO there's no one better than Bill Hicks.

My wife and I caught Brian Regan's show in Dallas several years ago, and I thought she was either going to pee in her pants, or have an aneurysm before the show was over.

Hicks was great, for sure. I guess I haven't seen enough of Gaffigan. I was definitely underwhelmed. "Hot Pockets"? Catchy, I guess, but his riff isn't that funny. Ceases to amuse after the 20th utterance.