Welcome To The Snake Pit

NT80

Guest GrayEagleOne

One of the greatest basketball atmospheres ever. I believe it was Drake coach Maury John that dubbed the facility the Snake Pit (either John or the Bradley coach whose name I can't recall).

John also had other great quotes. North Texas was known for its full-court press in those days. Maury John commented that "they started pressing us when we got off of the plane."

They mentioned the Pit game during the football broadcast yesterday and said something about dressing retro for the event. One of the announcers mentioned he was thinking of sporting an early '70s John Lennon look (if I heard him correctly). I actually have some clothes from my NT days ('70-'74), but I can't fit into them! Getting old is a b*tch.

GMG!

okay, I looked but can't find it, why was it dubbed the "Snake Pit"?

I believe it was an opposing coach that dubbed it "a snake pit" because of the crowd frenzy and noise there. I think after that I read a biology prof or student later released a real snake at midcourt before a game and numerous fake snakes were thrown on the court during other rowdy games. It was before my time there but sounded like fun times.

I believe it was an opposing coach that dubbed it "a snake pit" because of the crowd frenzy and noise there. I think after that I read a biology prof or student later released a real snake at midcourt before a game and numerous fake snakes were thrown on the court during other rowdy games. It was before my time there but sounded like fun times.

Thanks, we were trying to figure that out the other night at dinner and couldn't come up with a reason.

I also am hoping that everyone wears a retro outfit for that place, but what era should we shoot for? 50's, 60's, early 70's? It's gonn be tough finding some bell bottom jeans?

Does anyone know of a place that has throw back clothes?

Also, I bought my tickets today, they are GENERAL ADMISSION, which means seating will be first come first serve. They are $10 for adults and $5 for kids.

Any help on info for the old clothes would be appreciated.

Rick

I also am hoping that everyone wears a retro outfit for that place, but what era should we shoot for? 50's, 60's, early 70's? It's gonn be tough finding some bell bottom jeans?

Does anyone know of a place that has throw back clothes?

Also, I bought my tickets today, they are GENERAL ADMISSION, which means seating will be first come first serve. They are $10 for adults and $5 for kids.

Any help on info for the old clothes would be appreciated.

Rick

Is the Second Hand Rose still open in Denton? They used to have great costumes and other items for Halloween, etc... Or you could mug a hippie on Fry Street.

Loved this quote:

It doesn’t look like much from the outside, covered in the shadow of its big brother, the Super Pit, which resides across Highland Street. As a matter of fact, the Snake Pit doesn’t look like much from the inside either. Just a hardwood floor with a few rows of Hoosier-esque worn wooden bleachers. But something about the concrete walls and roof turn that place into a pressure cooker, a hell hole of haunting noise.
Edited by UNTLifer

Second Hand Rose is still going strong at a new location. It is located in the same shopping center as Good Eats north of Denton on I-35 ( just south of the truck stops and on the east side of the freeway).

i know they wouldn't do it because they would lose money, but it would be AWESOME playing an OSU type team in the snake pit. It would be packed for sure and super loud...

I would love to have at least one marquee game each year that absolutely fills the Super Pit. Who cares if upper level seats to be given away, it would do wonders for launching this program.