High School-to-college Coach Foundering In Year 2

mgsteve

International Herald Tribune

"Is it embarrassing? Yes. I hate to lose," Dodge said. "But I'm not going to get caught up in what my record is right now. Maybe we'll get this thing turned around with enough wins that somebody will notice the other things going on behind the scenes that I think are wins."

Then he laughed and added: "You just hope you do it in enough time before they fire you."

A two-time offensive player of the year in the state's largest high school classification, Riley was going to follow Todd's footsteps by playing for the University of Texas but decided to play for Dad instead. Todd says Riley and Missouri's Chase Daniel are the two best quarterbacks he's coached, but Riley is a good enough athlete that he played receiver when the team ran out of healthy bodies. Riley sustained a concussion and is getting a medical redshirt.

Question, when did we run out of healthy bodies? We have a boat load of kids on scholarship at WR.

SO LONG Vizza and Tune, you guys are cooked. Hopefully, we can get a HS recruit to come to UNT to back up the SLC star, who is compared to Chase Daniel. If any recruit was thinking he would get a fair shot at playing, you better think again.

Pretty high praise for a kid who has never thrown a pass in college, oops he did, his first was an ill advised INT.

Gio nice knowing you, adios. Nathan, best of luck to you as well.

I wonder how Greg McElroy feels at Alabama? He got an offer to play big time college football at QB, but I guess he couldn't play as well as Todd's son?

What about Chase Wasson? I guess you sucked. And poor Kyle Padron, everyone thought you were the better Qb, especially with your strong arm and heigth. I guess not.

Edited by nautique

A two-time offensive player of the year in the state's largest high school classification, Riley was going to follow Todd's footsteps by playing for the University of Texas but decided to play for Dad instead. Todd says Riley and Missouri's Chase Daniel are the two best quarterbacks he's coached, but Riley is a good enough athlete that he played receiver when the team ran out of healthy bodies. Riley sustained a concussion and is getting a medical redshirt.

Question, when did we run out of healthy bodies? We have a boat load of kids on scholarship at WR.

SO LONG Vizza and Tune, you guys are cooked. Hopefully, we can get a HS recruit to come to UNT to back up the SLC star, who is compared to Chase Daniel. If any recruit was thinking he would get a fair shot at playing, you better think again.

Pretty high praise for a kid who has never thrown a pass in college, oops he did, his first was an ill advised INT.

I wonder how Greg McElroy feels at Alabama? He got an offer to play big time college football at QB, but I guess he couldn't play as well as Todd's son?

What about Chase Wasson? I guess you sucked. And poor Kyle Padron, everyone thought you were the better Qb, especially with your strong arm and heigth. I guess not.

You're getting delirious.

Good Lord, could you be more bitter? Why don't you and "Hurricane Obama" just PM each other?

Man, some folks here must still have all the ribbons and awards they got playing pee wee football and just "showing up". Good grief, if some of you folks are that bitter and that "upset" give it a rest and try to get some reality back into your lives before you simply explode! This is football, remember, it's a game. I agree 100% that the season is a BAD one, but there will be better seasons ahead. Let's all remember that we are members of the MEAN GREEN NATION and support this team, its players and coaches while they are here and while they are all doing their best to turn this thing around. Still games to play in THIS season.

Go fishing, play some golf, shoot some hoops, take your kids out for some fun at Halloween...get away from this board for awhile and try to get some perspective.

ENJOY your life a bit more...you simply cannot be THAT stressed out! At least I hope not.

GO MEAN GREEN! UNT WINS AT WKU SATURDAY!!!!!!

I'll keep predicting the win! Why the heck not???? I just believe it will happen THIS SEASON. If not, then next season because there will alwys be a next season. Let me ask you this, without looking it up, tell me the score of UNT's third game in the 1998 season...quick what was it? Who won???

Did you know without looking it up? If not...IT AINT THAT IMPORTANT or you would know in an instant!

SO...this week the MEAN GREEN WIN AT WKU!!!! Look for it..... :rolleyes::D:)

Wow, the New York Times. Dodge again full of himself and now full of his son.

Riley is now is the next Chase Daniel? What a slap in the face to Gio and Tune. Coach Dodge made another huge blunder for the remaining QB's on campus and for those who will be recruited.

Can you say ARROGANT? All I say is ask the players, ask the players. Ask the parents at SLC about Padron vs. Dodge? What a joke, is this the best way to coach up our young QB's by calling your own son, the best he has ever coached along with freaking Chase Daniel. Riley can only smell Chase's jock.

If Dodge loses Gio or Tune over this, it would be a shame. Blood is thicker than water. Can't wait to be sitting in Fouts watching the little man taking some shots, no he won't take any shots, he will slide and roll over like TD yelled at him in the fall practice. "Get down son, get down." Tough kid, huh? Respect of the team?

Ask them boys, ask them. Gio you deserve better, Daniel Meager you deserved better. Nathan you have busted your butt to become the player you have.

Riley is now is the next Chase Daniel? What a slap in the face to Gio and Tune. Coach Dodge made another huge blunder for the remaining QB's on campus and for those who will be recruited.

Can you say ARROGANT? All I say is ask the players, ask the players. Ask the parents at SLC about Padron vs. Dodge? What a joke, is this the best way to coach up our young QB's by calling your own son, the best he has ever coached along with freaking Chase Daniel. Riley can only smell Chase's jock.

If Dodge loses Gio or Tune over this, it would be a shame. Blood is thicker than water. Can't wait to be sitting in Fouts watching the little man taking some shots, no he won't take any shots, he will slide and roll over like TD yelled at him in the fall practice. "Get down son, get down." Tough kid, huh? Respect of the team?

Ask them boys, ask them. Gio you deserve better, Daniel Meager you deserved better. Nathan you have busted your butt to become the player you have.

Dodge didn't coach Padron.

Man, you sure turned on TD quickly. Where's all the love from everyone when they were drooling over his committement to North Texas?

I found this especially interesting and could explain the attitude of the upperclassmen's parents:

He meets with the newcomers for an hour every Sunday, something he's always done with seniors. He flipped the model this year because of how serious he is about these players laying a foundation. The talks are "brutally honest." He tells them why players were kicked off the team ("So-and-so was a habitual liar") and which upperclassmen should be their role models. He also makes sure their spirits aren't getting broken.

"I'm not going to leave any stones unturned in their development, not only physically but mentally, socially, character-wise," he said.

It's worth noting that the group includes Riley Dodge, the coach's quarterback-son.

If you are going to be such a Dodge hater, you really need to change your screen name. I could think of some suggestions, but I will refrain.