The First Opponent In The New Stadium...

BIG DAWG

We had a 3 for 1 deal with K-State with the Wildcats scheduled to come here in 2010. I'm guessing they would NOT play in Fouts due to the conditions ( stadium barely held up vs Baylor). I doubt the new stadium would be ready that quick so would we push back the date versus K State to 2011 ??

Would be a great game in a brand new stadium!

Guest GrayEagleOne

As of now, the only opponent scheduled to visit Denton in 2011 is Army. I think that would be a good choice.

By the way, Texas A&M is already scheduled to play Arkansas in Dallas so I doubt that they'd want to come to the Metroplex twice that year.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

without knowing what our team will (exactly) be like in 2011, I'm for a competitive but winnable game that will draw some away fans. SMU would be perfect, but right now it's off the table. maybe some things will change. I like any service academy, maybe a rematch with Navy. We have Army in 2010 but it doesn't pick up again for several years. Those schools or Air Force make for a cool home games because they value road games as opportunities to showcase what they're about. Maybe another Texas team like UTEP or Houston, though not sure how many fans the latter could bring. Or we use the chance to get an FCS team (Texas State?) in here and christen the place with a win. Or might that game end up the "1" in a 2-for-1 with some team that gives us a bag of cash? Man, I'd hate that.

As of now, the only opponent scheduled to visit Denton in 2011 is Army. I think that would be a good choice.

By the way, Texas A&M is already scheduled to play Arkansas in Dallas so I doubt that they'd want to come to the Metroplex twice that year.

I'm with GrayEagleOne on this. Army hasn't won much more than we have over the last couple of years, but has been improving recently. Also, I was in the Army, so would like to see us as a gracious (but winning) host to them in our new house.

Army or Navy would be an excellent choice. Potentially winnable (I'm sure they'd say the same thing about us) and just about guarantees a big crowd.

That's something to take into consideration - filling up the stadium for the first game. I'd avoid opponents like Nichols State or Texas State for that first game. You could play them later, but not the opener.

For publicity purposes, that first game really needs to have a big crowd.

Army or Navy would be an excellent choice. Potentially winnable (I'm sure they'd say the same thing about us) and just about guarantees a big crowd.

That's something to take into consideration - filling up the stadium for the first game. I'd avoid opponents like Nichols State or Texas State for that first game. You could play them later, but not the opener.

For publicity purposes, that first game really needs to have a big crowd.

I miss the guy with the silly hat, Smitty. Please return him.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa everyone. What happened to not wanting to play big time teams that will kick the crap out of us? I think for the first home game in the new stadium we need to get some DII school or some team we know we can kill (Calhoun Middle School possibly?) ;) and beat the living crap out of them. Boost some confidence and make the opening of the new stadium even sweeter. Plus, I'm pretty sure it will be a sold out game at the new stadium and we need to let our fans be the majority and be as loud as we can be.

AUBURN!!!! I hate them more then any other school in the country. I would love to beat thier @#@# to open the stadium. My little sister is a senior in highschool and she is a national merit scholar. Many major universities are sending her stuff in the mail. Every time something from auburn comes in the mail I rip it to shreds!!!!!

AUBURN!!!! I hate them more then any other school in the country. I would love to beat thier @#@# to open the stadium. My little sister is a senior in highschool and she is a national merit scholar. Many major universities are sending her stuff in the mail. Every time something from auburn comes in the mail I rip it to shreds!!!!!

Haha I'm pretty sure that would be a terrible idea. I would love to beat them also but come on haha. Maybe in 10 years?

First off, it needs to be a D-1 school. A Texas Mid-Major like Houston, SMU, TCU, Baylor, Rice, or UTEP would be ok. We would fill the stands, but you do run the risk of not having the home field advantage if we host Baylor or TTU. An out of state BCS team would be great to get our fans excited and bring us more attention. I doubt we should go with a top tier BCS team, ie Auburn, Bama, Colorado, Nebraska, Cal, etc. We should aim for a lower rung BCS team. Ie Vandy (yes they are good this year, but it may just be a one year thing), Baylor, New Mexico, Washington, etc would be good choices. I think the best choice would be a name school from a mid major conference. Ohio, Marshall, etc. Teams from the MAC, CUSA, WAC, Mountain West, ACC would be the best idea. Remember, we want to put butts in the seats and garner more recognition and bring in more and better recruits, but we also want to WIN.

On second thought, I just saw a 3 minute BJ piece on SMUt and June Jones on CBS College Sports. F 'em. Bring in SMUt and whoop their ass for the first game!

First off, it needs to be a D-1 school. A Texas Mid-Major like Houston, SMU, TCU, Baylor, Rice, or UTEP would be ok. We would fill the stands, but you do run the risk of not having the home field advantage if we host Baylor or TTU. An out of state BCS team would be great to get our fans excited and bring us more attention. I doubt we should go with a top tier BCS team, ie Auburn, Bama, Colorado, Nebraska, Cal, etc. We should aim for a lower rung BCS team. Ie Vandy (yes they are good this year, but it may just be a one year thing), Baylor, New Mexico, Washington, etc would be good choices. I think the best choice would be a name school from a mid major conference. Ohio, Marshall, etc. Teams from the MAC, CUSA, WAC, Mountain West, ACC would be the best idea. Remember, we want to put butts in the seats and garner more recognition and bring in more and better recruits, but we also want to WIN.

On second thought, I just saw a 3 minute BJ piece on SMUt and June Jones on CBS College Sports. F 'em. Bring in SMUt and whoop their ass for the first game!

Baylor, smu, or TCU would be fine. Houston, Rice or UTEP would be boring. We had no problem holding MORE than our own against Baylor last time, why not again?