Sga Now Accepting Votes By Fax Machines

UNT_playmaker

I talked with the SGA office today, I tried to get several people to vote today but they still were not able to do so online. SGA said anyone who still has problems should vote in person in the union, as the problem will not get fixed this week. I asked if they could fax in there student ID and have a ballot sent through fax and they said they could cast their ballot via fax.

SGA office (940) 565-3850 Vote by Fax (940) 565-4446

So in person or by fax let's get a huge YES turnout for the last day on Friday.

I talked with the SGA office today, I tried to get several people to vote today but they still were not able to do so online. SGA said anyone who still has problems should vote in person in the union, as the problem will not get fixed this week. I asked if they could fax in there student ID and have a ballot sent through fax and they said they could cast their ballot via fax.

SGA office (940) 565-3850 Vote by Fax (940) 565-4446

So in person or by fax let's get a huge YES turnout for the last day on Friday.

I would say this is a good basis for a re-vote... on paper. These problems online and with improper vote-herding and intentional destruction of campaign materials makes a good case if we lose the vote.

I would say this is a good basis for a re-vote... on paper. These problems online and with improper vote-herding and intentional destruction of campaign materials makes a good case if we lose the vote.

There is precedence for having a revote.

I think it'll come to a re-vote either way. If the referendum passes, the vocal anti-stadium people will raise hell just as we will if it doesn't.

ETA -- I just sent SGA an email asking how they anticipate dealing with the likelihood that the losing side will demand a re-vote because of the numerous technical issues with the online vote. Let's see if they answer.

Edited by oldguystudent

In 21 hours, all will be done. Hopefully the "yes" vote wins by more than 10%, making any claim of fraud irrelevant. If the "no" vote wins, I would imagine the Administration already has an alternate plan of how they want to proceed. This may be why the President of UNT has been so incognito. I refuse to pull my hair out wondering what will happen (But I will sacrifice my pinky fingernail).

Any way that this turns out it has to be classified as being a cluster-f##k effort.

The national vote for the Presidential election is done in one day.

Elections of campus student referendums usually take two days since there could be MWF and TT schedule conflicts.

This vote is being done over a five day period through voting booths, the internet, telephones, faxes, and ouija boards. There is way too much opportunity for corruption of the results, alumni on both sides of the issue have stuck their noses where they don't belong, and yellow tainted elements continue to try to manipulate the referendum through the student paper.

I believe the results should be discarded whether the referendum passes or fails.

:no:

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

OK. Here's the plan guys. My inability to vote online this week seriously brought doubt in my mind that I was a student of the status that I thought I was. If my status change had not gone through as planned, I would not be able to get financial aid, my educational dream would be over, and I would have to return to the corporate sales world {shudder}. This was a very stressful proposition which compelled me to go to graduate admissions like a blithering idiot to ask if I was indeed a student. It was stressful and embarrassing. I then had to schlep over to the SGA office and wait it out while they typed and printed a paper ballot for me. I'm still not 100% convinced that my vote will even be counted. I received no receipt for my vote.

Having just finished the section on tort law in BLAW class, I think I've got a viable case to bring emotional distress suit against SGA, the University, and Students against a new stadium.

With the deep pockets of these three groups, I imagine I can get at least a $30 million settlement out of the deal. I can then make a gift to the athletic department, and we're on our way! (Gift includes unlimited admission to the new stadium equivalent of the deck for me and all my tailgating buddies and none of the small donor attitude.)

*For all you lawyers out there, I know this isn't even remotely real, and that emotional distress comes under intentional tort. But it's fun to dream.

Edited by oldguystudent

1. Why was voting done online?

2. Why not limit this to one or two days?

3. Why are there not more signs on campus?

4. Why isn't the model of the stadium under a tent in the center of campus?

5. Why is our President, who claims this is HUGE for our school, not more vocal on this?

6. Why is our AD out of town during this vote?

After reading through the posts mentioning all the issues students are having with the on-line voting process, it makes me wonder what company (or in-house group) was responsible for the voting process implemented. I'm in the IT field (an alum from BCIS at UNT), and it pains me to know that such issues exist in a process as simple as on-line voting... for an athletic fee. With the amount of testing, of our programs (and websites) we do before implementing and letting the entire company work force (in three countries) access the application, I can only imagine the amount of testing (or lack of, as the case may be) that went into this process to verify certain issues such as these did not occur. Which is not saying much, but this is just beyond astonishing that these issues exist for something that the University deems an important topic. That's saying nothing about the fact that the voting is spanning a full week as opposed to a few days, that just nuts. :angry:

Good points. I suspect this is a symptom of the same problems we have everywhere...no strong leadership.

gk

1. Why was voting done online?

2. Why not limit this to one or two days?

3. Why are there not more signs on campus?

4. Why isn't the model of the stadium under a tent in the center of campus?

5. Why is our President, who claims this is HUGE for our school, not more vocal on this?

6. Why is our AD out of town during this vote?

So the best week to have this vote was the week he was out of town? Didn't he and the President schedule what week? Is she out of town?

SGA schedules when the vote occurs. It's not SGA's responsibility (nor should it be) to make sure sure certain leaders are in town when a vote occurs where said leaders may or may not be seen as important figureheads. In fact, when the vote occurs (especially for the fall) is dictated by either the election code or the by-laws.

After reading through the posts mentioning all the issues students are having with the on-line voting process, it makes me wonder what company (or in-house group) was responsible for the voting process implemented. I'm in the IT field (an alum from BCIS at UNT), and it pains me to know that such issues exist in a process as simple as on-line voting... for an athletic fee. With the amount of testing, of our programs (and websites) we do before implementing and letting the entire company work force (in three countries) access the application, I can only imagine the amount of testing (or lack of, as the case may be) that went into this process to verify certain issues such as these did not occur. Which is not saying much, but this is just beyond astonishing that these issues exist for something that the University deems an important topic. That's saying nothing about the fact that the voting is spanning a full week as opposed to a few days, that just nuts. :angry:

I think ACORN is behind all this. <_<

If Rick and Gretchen were to be in town and more vocal, exactly what effect would it have on the vote?

Through my degrees AND SGA time, most of the people I talked to got their updates from the admin from either me or the Daily or both-they didn't go to "chats" or wait for somebody to magically hand over class time. RV and Dr. B. have taken the necessary steps to leave it in STUDENTS' HANDS. No offense to Flyer, who has kicked ass, but I'm curious how student leadership OTHER than he have involved themselves. Again, I hope compartmentalization isn't taking over again. We used to have plenty of people cooperating in coordinated efforts on major issues...Greeks walking around the Union with art students and business majors a month before the election, talking to students.

You can't wait until "the time is at hand" to get students to listen/talk. You need to establish a rapport with them as a whole, and then the attitude will spread like herpes. Except without the itchy or burny part or whatever comes with herpes. You get the idea. The point is, student leaders should have been working on a coordinated effort to establish and/or change student relations a long time ago.

In a population of only 34,000 people on a couple (?) of square miles, the "I'll let you know when I need your vote" attitude isn't so hot. When a decent amount of students know that you are involved in their lives and are looking out for them, they tell most of the others.

Don't blame RV and GB for a student issue that should have come as a natural part of being engaged with other students. If I'm wrong (as I'm not there) then I'm sorry, but over the 10 years and 4 degrees, I rarely saw student leadership as a whole engage the rest of the student body. It needs to be the norm rather than the exception.

Edited by JesseMartin

UNT students are pretty rediculous but this is solely in the administration. Leadership starts at the very top and UNT has just never had it when it comes to the key elements that make a university very very strong and powerful. It is just like a family...if it is a strong home, leadership needs to come from the parents and take charge. The same thing I think applies here. If we keep on relying only on a student vote to get this thing passed then honestly we may never get a new stadium and yes we will have to move down to D1AA or or just cut football completely. This is sad that we cannot even raise $30 million to break ground. As far as this vote, I think regardless of the outcome there will be a revote because the losing side will appeal. If that happens but we win, then I think we have gotten a lot of momentum and we need to go on offense and get more and more people for this stadium if there is another revote. I'm sorry but it is very easy to blame the students when you have an administration that gets a free pass all the time....to me you first and foremost blame the administration for all problems in a university.

As far as this vote, I think regardless of the outcome there will be a revote because the losing side will appeal.

Has there ever been a student election at UNT that was thrown out and redone? I think the "yes" side would be worse off in a revote, because of the lack of homecoming candidates on the second ballot. People who care about homecoming care about on-campus life and football, and that group is going to be pretty receptive to the stadium proposal.