So What Should The Answer Be?

FirefightnRick

Clement sat back and had a picnic all freaking day. What has to happen to get a rush on opponents QB's? Are we blitzing enough? Is it time for a paradigm shift and go with a different defense like a 3-3 stack, similar to what Kragthorp ran at Tulsa?

Too much cushion on the corners? Should we play tighter man coverage and take our chances?

Special teams, Dwaylon Cook was the answer to get the ball out of our endzone finally. Does he need to be returning punts also?

And field goals. I noticed Knott takes 4 steps on his approach on extra points and he stands about 4 yards away, giving the defense more time to get though and to get their hands up. There's no need in this. Someone needs to point out to him that it's an extra point and that he could put it through with ease on 3 and even two steps. This would cut down chances of hitting the ball wrong as well in my oppinion?

Should Dodge now think about bringing in a tightend?

Throw your ideas out there. I'd rather read about that than about people wanting to quit and how bad it is and all.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I am not the football expert but I can see that the lack of a pass rush is killing us. Only when the qb gets pressured do we even get them close to a 3rd down. Our defenders are not going to make a pic so go ahead and leave them exposed. I can't stand the pitch and catch and nobody fears our pass defenders. Bring the kitchen sink every time if they get the occasional TD in 2 plays instead of 6 plays then so be it. Maybe we disrupt the offense or jar a ball loose every game. That is our only hope in my opinion.

GMG

look, this season is a loss. The coaching staff should be playing the rest of this season with an eye on getting best players getting as much experience as possible. We then need to invest ALL of our recruiting effort on the weakest areas. No more offensive skill players until 2010 recruiting. Special teams coach should be fired NOW and a new coach installed. If we can't find one mid season, dodge or deloach should cover.

Passing the stadium vote to help with recruiting is critical right now.

Special teams, Dwaylon Cook was the answer to get the ball out of our endzone finally. Does he need to be returning punts also?

And field goals. I noticed Knott takes 4 steps on his approach on extra points and he stands about 4 yards away, giving the defense more time to get though and to get their hands up. There's no need in this. Someone needs to point out to him that it's an extra point and that he could put it through with ease on 3 and even two steps. This would cut down chances of hitting the ball wrong as well in my oppinion?

The special teams leave me speechless. No idea why he takes 4 steps on his approach. You would think that would be pretty simple coaching to suggest what you said in terms of just taking 2 or 3. As far as punt returns go, either find a guy who can stand back there and call a fair catch and actually catch the ball, or just let it go. I am not trying to use sarcasm here either - I really believe this team needs to get back to the very basics and if fair catching punts keeps us from fumbling, that may be what we need to do.

UNT has not one senior making any plays. For that matter, how many juniors are making big contributions. The cupboard is bare. No speed on either side of the ball. No difference makers (other than Casey, and is he struggling big time). JUCO's have been a bust, other than Cam.

The results will not be around until late 2010.

I don't know what to tell you when Rice score 35 points in the second quarter alone. UNT offense scores 20 in the first half, turns the ball over zero times and is behind 36 points at half time. THAT IS DEMORALIZING.

We are asking a lot of the offense to win every game.

Since this is your 2nd post defending the offense, what happened in the 2nd half? The game wasn't completely out of reach when the 3rd started. Noone has ever asked teh offense to win every game, and if you've been watching this season unfold, the offense couldn't win a game if everyone's life depended on it. This team stinks in all 3 phases of the game - Offense, Defense, & Special Teams.

Pull the defense off the field completely. Let the other team score a touchdown in 1 or 2 plays on every drive.

When the other team kicks off, don't touch the ball. Let it go into the end zone every time.

Then hope we can reciprocate and go for two after every touchdown since we probably have better odds of running it in than we do of kicking a successful PAT.

Put Riley Dodge in at center, make him an eligible receiver, let him hike the ball to himself, throw the ball, and catch his own passes.

Teach the band the fight song for SLC.

Always be ready to remind the critical public of TD's success at the high school level.

Bring in a bunch of 16yo freshman who will better relate to TD's coaching style.

Just a question here, but during the third quarter, after the game was well out of hand for us and one interception had already been taken back the other way, I kept wanting to see us just go out and establish the ground game and keep the clock rolling. What did we do, called another pass play that went the other way. So, at what point in a complete ass kicking do you simply decide to batten down the hatches and try to limit the humiliation? Seems at that point it would have done us some good to pound it inside and eliminate their opportunities?

Rick

Well, Rick I don't think you hand the reins to Riley. A lot of people seem to dish Vizza (lack of speed, strength of arm). But, how do have to set up and throw with 6 def. players right in your face, where is there to run when you don't have any blocking, and you sure can't be accurate in your passes if your throwing as your being hit. Sure, with his speed, Riley will have some big gains. I saw where somebody pointed to Chase Daniel. Well, he has some experienced lineman who know how to block. If we go to Riley, and he gets hurt, then it does not matter.

Look that is June Jones style of play, now Todd Dodge style of play. You can't or won't just turn off your style and turn on another. June Jones never did it when Hawaii was awful and there were 68 - 3 type scores at the hands of Boise on the blue turf. Hawaii also had an 0-12 season, something we may experience before Todd turns it around. When Hawaii was up they wouldn't or couldn't keep the ball on the ground to run the clock down. That is why I say we have made the commitment in full to this type of offense and play. We must take the humiliation and exhilaration and press on.

GMG

Well, Rick I don't think you hand the reins to Riley. A lot of people seem to dish Vizza (lack of speed, strength of arm). But, how do have to set up and throw with 6 def. players right in your face, where is there to run when you don't have any blocking, and you sure can't be accurate in your passes if your throwing as your being hit. Sure, with his speed, Riley will have some big gains. I saw where somebody pointed to Chase Daniel. Well, he has some experienced lineman who know how to block. If we go to Riley, and he gets hurt, then it does not matter.

Do you honestly believe Riley has a strong arm? We have two WR's and nothing else. Do you not believe that D-1 coordinators would have an answer for our offense with Riley at QB?

If you watch Chase Daniel, he has all day to throw and scramble around. Clement took off on UNT defense when the LB's were trying to assist in coverage, we had no spy for Clements running ability because we had to get our backers involved with helping the secondary. With no speed at WR, Riley would have the same problem Vizza does, no one to spread the ball to and LB's blitzing and containing his scrambling ability, imo.

We probably have around 10,000 males on campus who still have some eligibility left, so maybe we should go all walk on for a few years? We could play 12 bodybag games a year on the road, also have walk on coaches, and use the money that we save to build a new stadium. We might have an injury or two, but I doubt that we would do much worse than we are doing now.

Offense: Use a TE and mix things up between running and passing, but use passing as our number one

Defense: Play cover 2 (no more 10 yard cusions), Blitz 1 or 2 LB's, learn to TACKLE

Special Teams: Fair catch or down all kicks unless we learn to block.

Coaches: Learn how to make adjustments.

Offense: Use a TE and mix things up between running and passing, but use passing as our number one

Defense: Play cover 2 (no more 10 yard cusions), Blitz 1 or 2 LB's, learn to TACKLE

Special Teams: Fair catch or down all kicks unless we learn to block.

Coaches: Learn how to make adjustments.

It's difficult to argue with any of those suggestions. Especially the points about somehow learning how to TACKLE and finding SOME way to avoid these constant mistakes on special teams. The tackling actually looks worse than last year, and the punt/kick coverage seems to basically be in a foot race to get to the opponents redzone. They tend to overrun everytime. It was amazing that Rice didn't break one all the way yesterday.

Just a question here, but during the third quarter, after the game was well out of hand for us and one interception had already been taken back the other way, I kept wanting to see us just go out and establish the ground game and keep the clock rolling. What did we do, called another pass play that went the other way. So, at what point in a complete ass kicking do you simply decide to batten down the hatches and try to limit the humiliation? Seems at that point it would have done us some good to pound it inside and eliminate their opportunities?

Rick

I was thinking the same thing, but only if Dodge put in some two tight end sets with Vizza under center. Hell, mix up some eye formations using Cam or Dunbar at tailback, and Henderson. Move back into the shotgun.

June Jones never did it when Hawaii was awful and there were 68 - 3 type scores at the hands of Boise on the blue turf. Hawaii also had an 0-12 season, something we may experience before Todd turns it around. When Hawaii was up they wouldn't or couldn't keep the ball on the ground to run the clock down. That is why I say we have made the commitment in full to this type of offense and play. We must take the humiliation and exhilaration and press on.

GMG

Hawaii did have an 0-12 season, but not under Jones.

Jones joined the University of Hawaiʻi-Mānoa football team as head coach, replacing Fred von Appen, who was fired when the team lost 18 games in a row, including all twelve games in the 1998 season. Jones led the Warriors to a 9-4 record and a share of the Western Athletic Conference football championship in the 1999 season, making it the most dramatic turnaround in NCAA football history.

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl Coaches# AP°

Hawaiʻi Warriors (Western Athletic Conference) (1999–2007)

1999 Hawaiʻi 9–4 5–2 T-1st W Oʻahu — —

2000 Hawaiʻi 3–9 2–6 T-6th — —

2001 Hawaiʻi 9–3 5–3 T-4th — —

2002 Hawaiʻi 10–4 7–1 2nd L Hawaiʻi — —

2003 Hawaiʻi 9–5 5–3 T-4th W Hawaiʻi — —

2004 Hawaiʻi 8–5 4–4 5th W Hawaiʻi — —

2005 Hawaiʻi 5–7 4–4 5th — —

2006 Hawaiʻi 11–3 7–1 2nd W Hawaiʻi 24 —

2007 Hawaiʻi 12–1 8–0 1st L Sugar † 17 19

Hawaiʻi: 75–41 47–24

Even in last year's Sugar Bowl campaign Jone's entire recruiting budget was $50,000, so you can't tell me he was getting a boatload of bluechip players. It seemed to me he was taking a lot of misfits who had either been kicked off other teams (Colt Brennan) or who were generally not too attractive in recruitment by other schools. Taking an 0-12 team from 1998 and turning it around to 9-4 speaks volumes about the ability of a good coaching staff.

look, this season is a loss. The coaching staff should be playing the rest of this season with an eye on getting best players getting as much experience as possible. We then need to invest ALL of our recruiting effort on the weakest areas. No more offensive skill players until 2010 recruiting. Special teams coach should be fired NOW and a new coach installed. If we can't find one mid season, dodge or deloach should cover.

Passing the stadium vote to help with recruiting is critical right now.

Let's just fold on a conference race that hasn't even started.

Good grief Charlie Brown.

Do you honestly believe Riley has a strong arm? We have two WR's and nothing else. Do you not believe that D-1 coordinators would have an answer for our offense with Riley at QB?

If you watch Chase Daniel, he has all day to throw and scramble around. Clement took off on UNT defense when the LB's were trying to assist in coverage, we had no spy for Clements running ability because we had to get our backers involved with helping the secondary. With no speed at WR, Riley would have the same problem Vizza does, no one to spread the ball to and LB's blitzing and containing his scrambling ability, imo.

WHERE DID YOU READ THAT I WROTE RILEY HAS A STRONG ARM. YEA, CHASE DANIEL HAS ALL DAY TO THROW, BUT HE HAS BLOCKERS, OUR QB DOES NOT. YES, IT IS MORE THAN OBVIOUS THAT D-1 COORDIANTORS HAVE AN ANSWER TO OUR OFFENSE, ITS CALL ASS KINCKINGS! I THINK YOU REPLIED TO THE WRONG POST!

Keep working. This team will get better. Keep going after the recruits. Keep coaching, and keep playing. And let opponents know to get your licks in while you can.

Remember when Dennis Franchionne told the rest of the Big 12 to get their licks on A&M while they were down?

Maybe we should keep our mouths shut for a bit :)

We probably have around 10,000 males on campus who still have some eligibility left, so maybe we should go all walk on for a few years? We could play 12 bodybag games a year on the road, also have walk on coaches, and use the money that we save to build a new stadium. We might have an injury or two, but I doubt that we would do much worse than we are doing now.

Is that the approximate plot to "Necessary Roughness"? Sorry to say, I never watched it.