A $60 Million Football Stadium= Only 32,000 Seats

UNT_playmaker

I am so sick and tired of seeing all of the effort and time that has gone into people trying to get a new stadium for the future of NT Athletics just to settle for a new $60 million stadium that seats almost the same amount that Fouts can already seat. Which is about 31,000 people.

The reason the new stadium is being built is for the following reasons: Recruiting, New Potential Donors, More home games, better opponents, rivalries, a better conference, potential site for large scale football games, and most important our own pride.

After the students vote to allow their own fees to be raise for a better stadium than what we already have, let's give them a better stadium than what we already have. We need a new stadium that can seat at minimum 38,000 to 40,000.

The reasons are facts: 50,000 students at UNT in just a few years, we need to be in a better conference, and to securing better opponents to play at our stadium. I mean who wouldnt want to play us knowing they can tap into the DFW market, have their alumni attend the game and get to play in nice stadium. When we have known opponents Fouts is near a sell-out each time, even when I team is mediocre. 32,000 isn't going to cut it, whatsoever.

Your spending $60 million and it took 7 more years for a revote for the stadium, please tell HKS, RV, UNT admin, everyone who matters to look into adding an additional 5,000 - 8,000 seats to get these known opportunities. Please dont tell me that the stadium will be 35,000 seats or can be expanded because we know that it wont get expanded, build it right the first time and avoid the additional costs.

Todd Dodge wants to build this team to be the team of the metroplex, give us the stadium to be able to compete on that level. If we are going to do this, let's do it right. Just like we did with the Super Pit.

I feel very strongly about this and hope that whoever else does takes action to make sure we don't lose out on a great opportunity to change the plans that have been presented to us. I will email RV this statement and hope to hear back from him this time. I encourage others to do the same.

Rick Villareal (940) 565-3646.........Rick.Villarreal@unt.edu

Edited by UNT_playmaker

And which of us is going to pay for the extra 8,000 seats?

Fiscal realities must invade this debate. It appears (hard to tell during a silent period) that we are having a tough time raising the $60 million needed for a 32,000-seat stadium. Yet there are complaints that this is not enough.

Frankly, I would love to see a 40,000-seat stadium. Only I don't have an extra ten or twenty million dollars lying around to pay for it. So, for those pushing for a larger stadium, you must answer the question: where will you get the money?

And before you say, "That's RV's job," don't you think that RV is trying to raise as much money as he can and will build as big and nice a stadium as he possibly can? This new stadium is going a long way toward writing his legacy. He and we all know that UNT needs a new stadium. But we can only build as big and nice a new stadium as UNT can afford.

And which of us is going to pay for the extra 8,000 seats?

Fiscal realities must invade this debate. It appears (hard to tell during a silent period) that we are having a tough time raising the $60 million needed for a 32,000-seat stadium. Yet there are complaints that this is not enough.

Frankly, I would love to see a 40,000-seat stadium. Only I don't have an extra ten or twenty million dollars lying around to pay for it. So, for those pushing for a larger stadium, you must answer the question: where will you get the money?

And before you say, "That's RV's job," don't you think that RV is trying to raise as much money as he can and will build as big and nice a stadium as he possibly can? This new stadium is going a long way toward writing his legacy. He and we all know that UNT needs a new stadium. But we can only build as big and nice a new stadium as UNT can afford.

The same people paying for the the 32K seat stadium can pay the extra money to build a 40-50K seat stadium. It will take a few more donors and the students can pay for it too especially if we can get this vote passed.

Guest GrayEagleOne

In order to get 40,000 seats you will have to double-deck at least one side. Unless you can find a donor for that addition, I don't believe that's possble under the proposed funding structure.

Who could you get and how often to warrant a 40,000 seat stadium that would not come to a filled 32,000 seat stadium? You won't get Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, LSU, or any other team that draws 80-90,000 and up for their home games. It would be rare that those additional seats would garner enough "bigger names" to warrant the additional cost. We'll be fine until we are able to expand to 50,000. Besides, we'd have 8,000 empty seats for most of the games.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Totally agree Grey Eagle - let's prove we can consistently sell out our 30K stadium before we expand to 40 or 50K. Let's reward the students and season ticketholders with a full stadium that has awesome sightlines and atmosphere. Let's increase the value of the product before we build for the masses.

Totally agree Grey Eagle - let's prove we can consistently sell out our 30K stadium before we expand to 40 or 50K. Let's reward the students and season ticketholders with a full stadium that has awesome sightlines and atmosphere. Let's increase the value of the product before we build for the masses.

Complete agreement.

If we get the student's fees raised then there will finally be money to play with plus what we already have. We can attract another donor to get the seat amount right where we need it. We are forunate that we have Eagle Point, we have the capacity and land to build our dreams on that piece of land.

Do it right and save tons of money in the long run. It wont cost all that extra to put in a few thousands seats onto what you already have.

I have an official response from RV. As I quote:

I need you to give me a call at 940-565-2789.

OHHHHHHH Shit I think I'm trouble, I will call and provide details later on this afternoon.

I think you're in trouble with the boss man :-)

Here's the deal... in today's world, a nice 32,000 seat stadium will cost 60+ million dollars.

A nice 32,000 seat stadium is much better than a bad 45,000 seat stadium (and much, much better than a bad 30,000 Fouts Field stadium) from all perspectives (recruiting, scheduling, etc.)...

Let's do this... get the new stadium built. Then if some big donor decides to chip in an extra 15 million for an upper deck later, we'll build it and call it the "Joe Donor Upper Deck".

In order to get 40,000 seats you will have to double-deck at least one side. Unless you can find a donor for that addition, I don't believe that's possble under the proposed funding structure.

Who could you get and how often to warrant a 40,000 seat stadium that would not come to a filled 32,000 seat stadium? You won't get Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, LSU, or any other team that draws 80-90,000 and up for their home games. It would be rare that those additional seats would garner enough "bigger names" to warrant the additional cost. We'll be fine until we are able to expand to 50,000. Besides, we'd have 8,000 empty seats for most of the games.

Actually, TCU and SMU have home games scheduled against Oklahoma and Texas A&M in the near future. The questions of whether OU/A&M will actually play them on the road or just buy them out is yet to be answered, but both stadiums seat less than 45K, I believe. I still think that we could get an LSU-type game here if we have a nice stadium, just for recruiting visability. This is also why I think they should try and get Iowa, Mizzou, Kansas, etc on the schedule for the future. If K-State ever plays at Fouts, I will laugh at their stupidity. Playing here with all of the stadium's issues would not be worth the buyout, IMHO.

I'm throwing in with those who say build it w/32k quality seats, WITH expandibility planned, fill it consistently, then expand it. Folks, without quality, you have nothing. Once you have a quality stadium and football team, anything is possible. For those who think you can't do all that much with that size of stadium, consider Wake Forest (yes a small school, but a small fish in a big pond of Winston-Salem, N.C.). They're dreaming bigger, but this is what they're doing quite nicely with now. Check out their stadium on Wikipedia:

Wake Forest B.B.T. Field

This isn't playstation, you just don't get invited to a bigger/better conference.

The chance to change conferences is another one of those bad arguments, that distracts from the issue at hand. The students are voting to replace Fouts. A concept plan for the proposed stadium is already in place.