My Thoughts On The Lsu Game

meangreen2018

Overall, I consider this game a success. I was really happy when ot was 10-3 near the end of the first quarter. At that time, all the stats were even. Then, the big return and td run and it got out out of hand. I am pretty happy that UNT kept LSU under 50. I'm really surprised we held them for less points then k-state and tulsa. But here's what I saw:

Special teams: Horrible. They just wern't fast enough and LSU was blocking really well.

Pass Offense: Some pretty nice passes but alot of the passes were dropped.

Rush Offense: At the beginning of the game, we ran the ball pretty well but by the end of the game we had done nothing. Too many no-gain runs up the middle. And as for blocking, Gio was getting pressured all night.

Defense: Too many big plays. They did hold LSU to alot less than I expected. And as I said earlier, LSU's blocking was just too good.

P.S:Vizza lead the game in passing yards with 150 and C-fitz lead the game in receiving with 76.

I do think we are improving. Just give TD and the rest of the team some time and they'll turn the program around. The whole team is basically made up of freshman and sophmores.

Also, a ton of fairly good teams(or teams that have been pretty good in the past got blownout. Nevada, Washington, ect.

Final stats:

Team Stat Comparison

UNT LSU

1st Downs 11 24

3rd down efficiency

6-17 7-13

4th down efficiency

0-0 0-1

Total Yards 200 425

Passing 156 209

Comp-Att

23-43 20-36

Yards per pass

3.6 5.8

Rushing 44 216

Rushing Attempts

18 28

Yards per rush

2.4 7.7

Penalties 9-82 6-44

Turnovers 1 1

Fumbles lost

0 0

Interceptions thrown

1 1

Possession 32:22 27:34

Get rid of the penalties resulting from mental errors, and we're just about there.

and one of the late hit penalties was a joke. our guy tripped and fell just as hatch hit the ground, thus falling on him....flag....fifteen yards....td...

I thought the DL played their best game of the season tonight. They got decent pressure on the QB, and didn't do too bad against the run. Still could use improvement, mind you, but I was glad to see some tonight. Through Gilmore into the mix, and they might be wreaking some serious havock in Sun Belt backfields if they keep improving.

Get home boys safely. You played your butts off. UNT can take Rice after what I saw tonight. It will take a huge effort but UNT is gathering some experience and if we can just eliminate the big plays and huge 3rd down conversions, we can take the owls.

I certainly think so if Fitz' injury really was minor, and we can get some of the guys back that we have missed for whatever (injuries, conditioning, academic?) reasons and may be back in time for the Rice game.

We get Drake, Gilmore, Mosely, Kartay, and others back and we will be ready to go against Rice.

Vizza, Casey and Dibrell can't do whole a lot more. We need someone who can get out of press coverages on the outside. Roberson is just too inexperienced and not a pure route runner. We miss players like Fentriss, Washington, and Brock the last couple of games.

Brandon was experienced and strong enough to get off press coverage. He just didn't do a lot after the catch. I expect more 3 receiver sets and using the H back more often. I can see getting the ball to Brock as an H back. Lott, Dodge, and maybe Breece can work inside on 3 wideouts sets leaving Casey and Dibrell on the outside.

Edited by Dodge2007

Special teams: Horrible. They just wern't fast enough and LSU was blocking really well.

Pass Offense: Some pretty nice passes but alot of the passes were dropped.

Rush Offense: At the beginning of the game, we ran the ball pretty well but by the end of the game we had done nothing. Too many no-gain runs up the middle. And as for blocking, Gio was getting pressured all night.

Defense: Too many big plays. They did hold LSU to alot less than I expected. And as I said earlier, LSU's blocking was just too good.

Not just that but y'alls O-line keep your QB upright. LSU had No Sacks and very few hurry ups. That was an AWSOME JOB and something that y'all can hang your offense on. A decent qb can pick any secondary apart if the O line can keep the pressure off of him!!!!

Good LUCK on the rest of y'alls season!!!!!! GEAUX MEAN GREEN

Seemed to me we were completely out-played. I don't like the moral victory of covering the spread. We didn't even find the End Zone once. Can this team hang in the Belt??....Sure, but is that good enough? Seriously? Are we somewhat satisfied with this?

Edited by Green Guy Bass

Seemed to me we were completely out-played. I don't like the moral victory of covering the spread. We didn't even find the End Zone once. Can this team hang in the Belt??....Sure, but is that good enough? Seriously? Are we somewhat satisfied with this?

Dude what did you expect. Did you see any of our earlier perfomances? If you did then you should be able to tell that we perfomed much better against far superior competition. If we play this way against rice, we should win. Of course no one likes losing. As far as hanging in the belt being good enough, what more do you want. Sorry but we are probably not playing for the bcs title this year, get over it. That's just not where we are right now. Dodge is overhalling an f'd up dickey team. So improving against the national champs is something to talk about. And winning the belt is good enough for now and would be a huge step forward. I feel like your being a pretencious d bag with these questions.

Edited by DirtySavage

Dude what did you expect. Did you see any of our earlier perfomances? If you did then you should be able to tell that we perfomed much better against far superior competition. If we play this way against rice, we should win. Of course no one likes losing. As far as hanging in the belt being good enough, what more do you want. Sorry but we are probably not playing for the bcs title this year, get over it. That's just not where we are right now. Dodge is overhalling an f'd up dickey team. So improving against the national champs is something to talk about. And winning the belt is good enough for now and would be a huge step forward. I feel like your being a pretencious d bag with these questions.

I totaly agree with you Savage. This is a one step at a time sort of thing.

Not satisfied. Never satisfied with a loss. Never satisfied with moral victories. But encouraged? Yes.

This was a step forward. After taking so many steps backward at the end of last year and this year, this was a step forward. It's a start.

We've got some pieces to build on. Vizza looks good. Fitz and Dibrell look good. You've got good a back in Cam Montgomery and a really promising young rusher in Lance Dunbar. No sacks allowed against LSU (are you kidding me, did anyone expect that?). Some strong linebacker play. A talented but very young secondary. Very good punter and place kicker. Gilmore returning to the D-line. The cupboard is not empty.

And no one we will face the rest of the year is as good as the teams we have already played. Not saying we will win, but I doubt there is anything that ASU or Troy or MTSU can do that KSU, Tulsa, and LSU did not do better. The KSU game was bad, the Tulsa game was awful, but the LSU game was better. Now the task is to improve again against Rice. Get better every week and the wins will come.

Patience, everyone, patience.

Hate to disagree with you, but last year TD was overhauling DD's team. This year we are seeing next to no progress with quite a few Dodge players. The only positive that I see is that Gio is not throwing picks. Every other aspect of the game looks very similar to last season. Pretentious?? I just want to see things getting better, and maybe win an out of conference game. But another year will go by and we will be winless in our OOC games. I like you am looking for positives right now, but I guess I am not seeing many as the rest of you. In my mind, due to what I have seen so far from both teams - Rice is a better football team than North Texas at this point and I am bracing for another dissapointing Saturday.

Also, I never even mentioned anything about being a national power in the BCS picture, so don't put words in my mouth and refer to me as a 'd-bag'. And maybe, like some here, I'm beginning to become disenchanted with the next few years of this program. I hope this is just the young kids taking their lumps, but it's really hard to see widespread improvement right now. Hopefully we will all be surprised next week in Houston.

Hate to disagree with you, but last year TD was overhauling DD's team. This year we are seeing next to no progress with quite a few Dodge players. The only positive that I see is that Gio is not throwing picks. Every other aspect of the game looks very similar to last season. Pretentious?? I just want to see things getting better, and maybe win an out of conference game. But another year will go by and we will be winless in our OOC games. I like you am looking for positives right now, but I guess I am not seeing many as the rest of you. In my mind, due to what I have seen so far from both teams - Rice is a better football team than North Texas at this point and I am bracing for another dissapointing Saturday.

Also, I never even mentioned anything about being a national power in the BCS picture, so don't put words in my mouth and refer to me as a 'd-bag'. And maybe, like some here, I'm beginning to become disenchanted with the next few years of this program. I hope this is just the young kids taking their lumps, but it's really hard to see widespread improvement right now. Hopefully we will all be surprised next week in Houston.

Maybe I was being a little harsh and defensive. Your right I shouldn't call people names. I probably read too much into your comments.

Hate to disagree with you, but last year TD was overhauling DD's team.

Correct

This year we are seeing next to no progress with quite a few Dodge players.

Incorrect. Have you seen the secondary? They are an improved group even without any help from the D-line. TD's running backs looks better than last year too. The O-line looks much imp[roved as well. The kicking game looks improved as well.

But another year will go by and we will be winless in our OOC games.

DD's best OOC results are comparable to TD's OOC results during a rebuilding process. My point: we are getting better.

Rebuilding is a lot like sausage. Everyone loves the results but no one wants to see what goes into making it.

Gonna have to be patient.

Correct

Incorrect. Have you seen the secondary? They are an improved group even without any help from the D-line. TD's running backs looks better than last year too. The O-line looks much imp[roved as well. The kicking game looks improved as well.

DD's best OOC results are comparable to TD's OOC results during a rebuilding process. My point: we are getting better.

Rebuilding is a lot like sausage. Everyone loves the results but no one wants to see what goes into making it.

Gonna have to be patient.

I am not disagreeing this won't take time. I just want to see more than 3 points. You are right about the O-line being somewhat better. However, I have seen all 3 games and the seconday still looks terrible. Granted there might be a few freshmen that have some skill, but it is going to take a lot more DeLoach to make them solid. They were absolutely lost at times against Tulsa and they faced a young QB against LSU. Not sold on much improvement from our DB's. They might be a good unit in a season or two. I also don't think our backs are what Jomario was at times, even last season.

I like some of TD's guys dont get me wrong, but I expect more from the offense. 3 points is inexcusable against anyone.

And I still truly feel that Rice will beat us. We have no answer for their QB or one of the best WR's in the country in Jerrett Dillard.

I nor anybody is ever satisfied with the loss but look what we have to work with. if you saw all of last year and the first two games this season we probably should have like 98-0 against LSU on Saturday. Instead we lost just 41-6 and was not embarrassed to the point where the nation was laughing at us like they were after last years OU game. There were times when we did move the offense...yes we had no touchdowns to show for it but really to me the story of the game was our defensive. They finally showed that they had some balls and they nutted up to their best ability and wasnt a laughing stock. While I still do not believe we will beat Rice at all but after watching the LSU game, I kinda think we atleast have a SHOT or atleast try to make it competitive throughout the game.

Edited by Green Mean

Not just that but y'alls O-line keep your QB upright. LSU had No Sacks and very few hurry ups. That was an AWSOME JOB and something that y'all can hang your offense on.

Good LUCK on the rest of y'alls season!!!!!! GEAUX MEAN GREEN

LSU had no sacks because Vizza was taking 3 step drops almost every play. Even with that he had to side step and scramble from pressure on many of the throws. Vizza was able to set his feet and throw less than 5 times the entire game.

You wonder why Vizza doesn't throw deep? Is he over concerned about INT's? No. It's because if he waited for those patterns to develop he would be buried under the pass rush.

Our defensive line is just too small. It's one thing to see the LSU pick them up and move them 4 yards into the endzone on a goal line stand, its another thing to have seen Tulsa do it.

Dodge needs to recruit about 50 linemen. It terrible that we are so strapped at defensive tackle that we have to move Charlie Brown inside, he would make a GREAT defensive end.

So far we have been outscored 35-142.