Stadium Video

Daddy Dumpsalot

I am willing to place money on the fact that the band was not told of the video. I know Mr. Williams would have told the drumline to put a sock in it when the video came on had he known about the video. So if there is anyone to blame for this, it is the athletic department for not communicating their plans to the unveiling of the video if this was the case. Besides, from what I have read (was not at the game), there was no special introduction to the video, so how was everyone to know when to watch the screen, including the band?????? My next question is, since this video is pretty important, why was there no special introduction to get everyone's attention? I know when I am at the games, I pretty much ignore the screen until the lineups are on and so do many others on the students side. So introductions to important things like the stadium video is vital!!!

My point is: so unless you know the whole story (i.e. did the athletic dept communicate the video to the band director prior to the game or not) do not accuse anyone for doing or not doing something.

The drum line was a few sections down from the main band section at the time - he might not have been able to reach them to knock it off.

I also agree that someone on field should have introduced it with a mike. I think there are sponsorship-related items that have to happen (JMGC videos, Bud ad, etc.) that made everything tighter than it should have been as well.

I also think that the script circulates before the game and I would bet the band director saw it, but stranger things have happened.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a way can be found to build a nice stadium AND triple what NT can pay for football coaches, that would certainly be what the students and community deserve.

I appreciate your opinion, but I vote that you not be allowed on the committee to get the faculty involved with the campaign.

OK, some perspective here...for how long has everyone been wanting the "announcement"? Well, we got it. Agree 100% that it did not come off as desired, and from what I saw RV was none to happy about how it came off. But, the BIG PICTURE, for those of you who have a hard time seeing it, is that the long awaited announcement was made. No turning back now!

All the rest of the "stuff" will come. I agree with drex that it's too bad there was no "how to get involved" on the video, but the flyers passed out provided a blurb that indicated you could sign up at meangreensports.com to automatically receive updates. Anyone want to guess that the folks who sign up might just get info on how to be a financial supporter???

I'll guess the next step (after the student vote perhaps) will be the announcement of a "let's build it" campaign for supporters of all sizes. I'm just guessing.

The way it was done Saturday at the stadium was not the greatest, but I hand it to them for giving it a try. Yep, bad coordination with the drumline and the audio stuff....you live and learn. But, RV sure did look a bit peeved! I think some "conversations" are being had with some folks as we speak regarding this very thing.

BTW...did you see the mock-up in the Tailgate area? VERY NICE!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

OK, some perspective here...for how long has everyone been wanting the "announcement"? Well, we got it. Agree 100% that it did not come off as desired, and from what I saw RV was none to happy about how it came off. But, the BIG PICTURE, for those of you who have a hard time seeing it, is that the long awaited announcement was made. No turning back now!

All the rest of the "stuff" will come. I agree with drex that it's too bad there was no "how to get involved" on the video, but the flyers passed out provided a blurb that indicated you could sign up at meangreensports.com to automatically receive updates. Anyone want to guess that the folks who sign up might just get info on how to be a financial supporter???

I'll guess the next step (after the student vote perhaps) will be the announcement of a "let's build it" campaign for supporters of all sizes. I'm just guessing.

The way it was done Saturday at the stadium was not the greatest, but I hand it to them for giving it a try. Yep, bad coordination with the drumline and the audio stuff....you live and learn. But, RV sure did look a bit peeved! I think some "conversations" are being had with some folks as we speak regarding this very thing.

BTW...did you see the mock-up in the Tailgate area? VERY NICE!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

I respect, even though you are a soccer fan, what you are saying, but there appeared to be much lacking in the planning department for such an important video message. They should have tested the video on the scoreboard with Fouts' PA system prior to the game. There should have been meetings with all involved, AD, band, cheerleader's, etc..., to get them up to speed and to let them know when this video was going to be shown. There should have been an announcement to the crowd prior to the playing of this video. It should have been teased throughout the first half, so that many stayed to watch it and were expecting something. I wasn't there, as I couldn't get in to town from Houston this weekend, but from what I have read, it was poorly planned.

When you are asking people to invest in something of this nature, the presentation should go off without a hitch. People want to trust those in charge and know that they will do a good job of delivering the product they are promoting, in this instance, a new stadium. When "those in charge" can't deliver the presentation without issues, it makes the prospective investors wonder how well they can deliver the final product.

I support the stadium 100% and believe that it will catapult this program to new heights, but it is disappointing when it appears that much thought and effort was put into the video and none put into the showing.

I appreciate your opinion, but I vote that you not be allowed on the committee to get the faculty involved with the campaign.

Why is that? I dont think he is totally anti stadium. Just stating that by just building a stadium, miracles wont happen with this NT program. In fact I have said from day 1 that stadium or not, if you are not willing to put up the money for the whole program top to bottom, chances are you wont be really successful. You get what you pay for. The pay to coaches is laughable and I guess when you think how bad we get our asses kicked in football especially....its obvious why...you really get what you pay for. And yes the community does deserve a much better product from top to bottom and not just a stadium. Fouts is bad...I totally admit that. But there is still a100 YD field out there and X's and O's are still being utilized.

From what was mentioned in the stands yesterday, folks need to be really careful when talking to current students about the stadium. I'm not sure as to how far it extends into the alumni ranks, but faculty and Board of Anything members are pretty much forbidden from talking positively about the stadium to students, at least prior to the vote. If they do, and it's reported/complaints filed, the Legislature may slap us with a "no stadium, ever" ruling. Anyone know more about these stipulations? If it's true, I'm afraid the anti-stadium crowd would complain just for the hell of it and screw our athletic department for a long time.

From what was mentioned in the stands yesterday, folks need to be really careful when talking to current students about the stadium. I'm not sure as to how far it extends into the alumni ranks, but faculty and Board of Anything members are pretty much forbidden from talking positively about the stadium to students, at least prior to the vote. If they do, and it's reported/complaints filed, the Legislature may slap us with a "no stadium, ever" ruling. Anyone know more about these stipulations? If it's true, I'm afraid the anti-stadium crowd would complain just for the hell of it and screw our athletic department for a long time.

Eh, somewhat. I think it would only come to that if a high ranking university official openly asked the students to vote for the fee (we're voting for an ATHLETICS FEE, not a STADIUM). Or they had a secret slush fund to buy t-shirts, etc. Other than that, I'm sure the legislature would dismiss such complaints as sour grapes.

I'll be sounding like a broken record by now, but the amount of money needed for a stadium could buy a recognized and successful big conference college head coach along with securing top-notch assistants, for several years. This would have a much more profound and immediate impact than the stadium. I do very much want them to build a stadium without a track around the field. If we took the significant step up in coaching, though, the stadium will surely follow. I'm not exactly sure what will follow from the stadium. Can you be so sure?

This should not be taken as coming down on the current coaches either. I know they have a lot to offer and are giving it everything they've got, and in Coach Dodge's case in particular, this is quite literally true. I just don't think NT went the right direction (and I have said so from the start) and now with the stadium it is the cart before the horse. These are large-scale missteps that will keep the program down for a long time. It is painful to watch. You fixate on this stadium because it is so easy to get caught up in it, but it is unfortunately a distraction.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree because I'd bet the farm that there is no way June Jones would have come here after leaving Hawaii, regardless of how much cabbage we threw his way. He went to SMU to enjoy their brand new stadium.

Edited by Cr1028

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree because I'd bet the farm that there is no way June Jones would have come here after leaving Hawaii, regardless of how much cabbage we threw his way. He went to SMU to enjoy their brand new stadium.

Yep, in fact his main reason for leaving the island was the lack of committment on the part of the administration in addressing deficiencies in the facilities.

The very sad answer to that is probably NO, they probably were NOT told to hold off on playing anything because UNT was about to unveil the biggest capital venture campaign in it's history for the future of the program and this university. Yes, all it would have taken is an email to the Band Director telling him to hold off between this time and that time so everyone could focus on this very important video. It's obvious, simple and common sense, but I'd lay money, nobody in Athletics thought of this, or if they did, just didnt play it out or think it through in their mind. I dont blame the band for this. It was poor coordination on whoever is in charge of managing the entire game day operations.

YES, YOU ARE SOOOOO RIGHT!!! POOR COMMUNICATION. TALKING TO THE BAND DIRECTOR WOULD HAVE SET EVERYTHING UP!!!!!

But that would just have made too much sense for those clowns in Athletics! THEY CAN'T HELP IT!

I knew there was to be a video so I waited in my seat at half to see it. It came on about the 8 min remaining mark for halftime. I could hear it in my seat on the 50 but I believe it was the Tulsa band that was playing the music at the time that made it hard to hear. I would like to see it again and don't understand why the video isn't linked on the Meangreensports main front page. I also agree there should be a contact number on it just in case some milionaire happens to see it.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I'll field this one because I work in architecture. Granted, we dont do huge scale stuff like stadiums, but the concept of remodeling the stadium is similar. Alot of people ask the fair question, what would it take to "fix" or remodel Fouts? Fair enough. Not sure EXACTLY what UNT explored, but conventionally it would probably be something like this...

First identify the biggest problems, which we all know are MOSTLY (and yes, I realize there's probably 150 reasons, I'm just commenting on the big ticket items)

The Track needs to go, it causes the stands to be too far away from the playing field.

The lower level seats are too low elevation in reference to the playing field causing poor visibility.

The endzone seats are far too far away. Again, because of the track.

So, we simply fix this, right? Here's how you'd "FIX" this...

1. You'd leave the East side stands in place, as is, for now.

2. Demolish/Remove the ENTIRE West Side stands, along with the track, the exisitng playing field and all of the aluminum bleachers.

3. Excavate out the the playing field area so that you can depress the elevation of this field downward and addition 5-10 feet below what it currently is now.

4. Begin construction of the new field and NEW West side stands, End Zone Stands, Pressbox and ammenities now 150 feet (give or take) CLOSER to the East side of the stands (which we left existing in line #1)

5. Also, dont forget, we now depressed the playing field down 5-10 feet from the existing surface, so that means we have to deal with adding a new wall BELOW the existing East Side Stands we're leaving in place, for now.

6. Remodel all of the parking on the West Side of the standium against 35 because you've just gained 150 more feet of parking lot on that side.

7. All this and get it done in the off time of ONE off season. The existing East Side stands would be left in place for now, but this scenario allows UNT to demolish and remodel those stands 5 years down the line.

So to summarize, if you read that very simplied scenario, you're basically re-building about 85% of the stadium to accomplish the goals that would make it an efficient stadium.

Folks, that's one pricey, major ass-haulin "Fix", that would probably amount to spending about 85% of the New Stadium Budget. It only makes sense to raise the money and DO IT RIGHT.

I totally agree there is no reason to do any significant 'fixing' of Fouts. What I meant was, it would cost less to fix the coaching situation than the stadium situation. The 'fix' for the stadium situation is clearly a new stadium. Your analysis bears that out.

As for the coaching, I actually have confidence that there will be progress with Todd Dodge and whatever assistants he can keep around. There are just many factors that are beyond his direct control. As a result, I am afraid the progress will be relatively slow. What North Texas has been willing to pay for coaches is not remotely consistent with the way the market has changed, certainly not if you expect to get into a higher tier of Division 1, which is what I expect.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

It's interesting you say that, as you'll note I mentioned in one of the other posts just about everyone except the faculty. I thought about that later, and was like 'well aren't they part of the constituency?' However, I did mention the school, and they are part of it. I will try to sell anyone on the general concept that a serious investment in North Texas athletics will ultimately benefit everyone, including the faculty. The stadium has got to happen. My only issue is, if a choice had to be made I'd rather see money be spent first on a major change in what level of coaching staff we have. And I only even think of that possibility because over the course of several years you are talking about a comparable investment. So my question is, if we would raise that much money, why would we not instead use it to go hire the staff from a successful big conference program? With that kind of money we could do it.

The general issue that all the academic programs could use the money instead applies regardless how the money is spent, so I don't see where the point I raised makes any difference to the faculty. As to the general issue, the point is that such an investment in the athletics could pay off in ways that none of the other programs could offer. However, I will say this, I would have a harder time making that argument for the stadium than I would for a tier 1 coaching raid. The best scenario of course, is that somehow we do both.

Here is the crux of it: I see how a stadium would follow from a coaching raid. I do not see how a coaching raid would follow from a stadium. Further, I do not see how we will get to anywhere near the same potential with the current coaching staff and a stadium; I see us MAYBE climbing into the 70s in several years. Is that the plan?

I can't deny that the drummers cadence during the video was poor timing, and they should have amde a bigger deal about it, but I still looked around and saw quite a few people watching.

You'd have a tough time finding someone who attended the game who didn't notice the signage on the walls, the floor signs at ramp entrances and the signs over the unrinals.(I was actually loooking at that rather than aiming for the bee) This wasn't a do or die one and only chance, situation with the video. I'm sure they will play it again, and I'm sure it will be available on the website. Give them a chance to present the whole package.

The actual video was about five minutes longer than the version showed at Fouts. I for one think it's a step in the right direction. I was particularly pleased with all of the talk of the "green" structure they were trying to build. A stadium that draws interest as a "green" facility can only help in the PR campaign.

You wanted stadium talk.........5 pages and counting

I can't deny that the drummers cadence during the video was poor timing, and they should have amde a bigger deal about it, but I still looked around and saw quite a few people watching.

You'd have a tough time finding someone who attended the game who didn't notice the signage on the walls, the floor signs at ramp entrances and the signs over the unrinals.(I was actually loooking at that rather than aiming for the bee) This wasn't a do or die one and only chance, situation with the video. I'm sure they will play it again, and I'm sure it will be available on the website. Give them a chance to present the whole package.

The actual video was about five minutes longer than the version showed at Fouts. I for one think it's a step in the right direction. I was particularly pleased with all of the talk of the "green" structure they were trying to build. A stadium that draws interest as a "green" facility can only help in the PR campaign.

You wanted stadium talk.........5 pages and counting

I must agree Evan, that those sitting where I could hear them talking WERE talking about the video. The only negative I can remember hearing was someone saying there were too many "virtual people" in the stands of the "virtual stadium", but that was just typical banter. Certainly, it would have been better if the audio could have been understood; I noticed how that everyone was cheering for Mean Joe Greene, but couldn't really understand what he was saying. I hope I can see the whole thing again, at some point, with the sound track working!

I'll be sounding like a broken record by now, but the amount of money needed for a stadium could buy a recognized and successful big conference college head coach along with securing top-notch assistants, for several years. This would have a much more profound and immediate impact than the stadium. I do very much want them to build a stadium without a track around the field. If we took the significant step up in coaching, though, the stadium will surely follow. I'm not exactly sure what will follow from the stadium. Can you be so sure?

This should not be taken as coming down on the current coaches either. I know they have a lot to offer and are giving it everything they've got, and in Coach Dodge's case in particular, this is quite literally true. I just don't think NT went the right direction (and I have said so from the start) and now with the stadium it is the cart before the horse. These are large-scale missteps that will keep the program down for a long time. It is painful to watch. You fixate on this stadium because it is so easy to get caught up in it, but it is unfortunately a distraction.

It would be great to have 2 or 3 mil to throw at a coach, but the only way to get that much earmarked would be a capital campaign or student/sga vote directed to that.

I know we're already kinda without shame, but having to advertise "Raising Money to Buy a Decent Coach" is just downright embarrassing.

Well...faculty already have a voice on the Athletics Committee, so in a way, they're already involved.

Eh, somewhat. I think it would only come to that if a high ranking university official openly asked the students to vote for the fee (we're voting for an ATHLETICS FEE, not a STADIUM). Or they had a secret slush fund to buy t-shirts, etc. Other than that, I'm sure the legislature would dismiss such complaints as sour grapes.

Note that when the Rec Center fee was brought up, there was a University-funded "Vote YES!" Campaign.

A couple of the guys I mentioned in other threads who opposed the fee increase for Title IX, Rec Center Fee, etc. threatened to sue...even though they are some of the smartest guys I've known, they made threats that could actually have had merit and never followed through. Using student fees to advertise (and potentially sway the vote) in favor of more student fees is a VERY dangerous road to travel.

I'm glad we have our awesome Rec Center (I even got my name on a plaque there, which I wasn't expecting), and that we took care of Title IX, but I'm unimpressed with the way certain SGA members and a few people employed by the University handled both issues, regardless of how much I like the rest of their respective bodies of work.