Cfn: Fearless Predictions (week #2)

jperg2

SOURCE: http://cfn.scout.com/2/769936.html

Tulsa (1-0) at North Texas (0-1), 7:00 EST

Why to watch: At least for one game, it appears there’ll be life after record-smashing QB Paul Smith in Tulsa. After a slow start, the Golden Hurricane rolled to a 45-22 win over UAB behind three Paul Johnson touchdown passes. The senior was flawless, making good use of his myriad weapons and throwing just four incompletions. With a league game already in the win column, Tulsa will be favored remain unbeaten until the schedule stiffens in late October. In many ways, North Texas would like to be where Tulsa is, a dangerous mid-major with a point-a-minute offense. Neither will come to fruition anytime soon, as evidenced by last weekend’s 45-6 flogging at the hands of Kansas State. It’s only Todd Dodge’s second season in Denton, but he needs to start showing some progress with the Mean Green.

Why Tulsa might win: It’s going to be a while before someone can slow down the Hurricane offense. The attack was as efficient as ever, generating 360 yards through the air and 240 yards on the ground in the win over the Blazers. Johnson was terrific in the game, getting the ball in the hands of his playmakers, like WR Brennan Marion and FB Charles Clay. The Mean Green doesn’t have nearly enough talent on defense to keep this juggernaut under 50.

Why North Texas might win: If the Mean Green has any chance of authoring an upset, it’ll have to expose a Tulsa defense that’s flush with new starters and coming off a shaky effort. The Hurricane yielded 414 yards and 21 first downs to the usually quiet UAB offense. While the North Texas offense is hardly a sure thing, it will attack through the air with an inventive passing game and prolific WR Casey Fitzgerald.

Who to watch: In just 15 career games, Clay has already become one of the most dangerous offensive weapons in Conference USA. Labeled a fullback, he’s more of an H-back, who’s big enough to run over defenders and quick enough to jet past them. With so much attention being given to the backs and receivers, he’s a nightmare for linebackers in one-on-one coverage.

What will happen: The Tulsa train will continue down the tracks, steamrolling a North Texas program that’s laboring badly on both sides of the ball. Behind another 500-yard day from the offense, the Hurricane won’t be tested past halftime.

CFN Prediction: Tulsa 51 ... North Texas 21 ... Line: Tulsa -21

Must See Rating: (5 Entourage premiere - 1 One Tree Hill premiere) … 2

I believe this North Texas team is sure a heck of alot better than

the the University of Alabama B team, that put up 400+ yards

of offense on Tulsa. UAB had 250yds rushing in the mix, and

21 first downs. Tulsa got several big plays, very much like

K-State, that made the difference in the game. Tulsa on the

other hand had 600yds of offense against UAB, which is

scary. North Texas had 600yds against $mu last year, and

Dodge Ball was rolling against Navy.

I believe North Texas will match up against Tulsa. I am

confident the offense will move the chains and score TD's.

I believe the North Texas defense will be up for the challenge

against what many football experts claim is the most powerful

offense in the country. Our guys see almost the same offense

every day in practice, and I am sure Coach DeLoach has a

great game plan to defend against the Tulsa offense.

I see a big upset developing, and the first big win for

Coach Dodge and this North Texas team!

If UAB can put up 400+ yards on this team, we better...if our offense can put it together for this week. Hope they got the jitters out of their system. No more dropped balls. But they are playing at home and I think our guys are ready to be winners. I think our offense will come out clicking on all cylinders and this is the perfect time for GDs D to make a splash. Royce Hill, this is your chance to be a star!

This game has a chance of being a blowout, but I think it is going to be closer than anyone wants to give it credit. If not, then Dodge may not be the savior we thought he'd be. But, I have faith. Now on Satruday night I might be back and calling for a recount.

We'd better open the complete playbook this week and go all out to keep this game close. Not to add any more pressure to Dodge but another blowout in front of the students who will be voting soon on a stadium fee may influence their decision. A win would do wonders for my confidence in the direction of the team too!