Game Day Questions

oldguystudent

Hi everyone,

New to UNT and mean green football. I'm going this Saturday since neither my high school nor my first college had football. This will be my first college football game ever (at age 36!). So I got the student guess pass to bring the kid along, and I wonder what the situation with the parking, tailgating and UNT village activities are.

I'm aware of the orange lot. How early would one need to arrive to get a spot in there?

Can I drink frosty cold beverages in my parking space no matter the lot I'm in? What if I have to park in a lot not directly adjacent to the stadium?

What goes on in the UNT village? Anything for the kid (7yo) to do in there?

How early before the game does one need to enter the stadium to get decent seats in the student section?

What concessions are available? (No beer at NCAA events these days, right?)

Thanks in advance for the information.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Bounce house and other things for the kids. He'll have a blast in the village.

Don't know about drinking in the lots not adjacent to the stadium.

Student section... just get there earlier than 15 minutes before kickoff and you should be fine.

Typical fare: hot dogs, popcorn, pizza, soda, etc.

P.S. Join "Students for a New Stadium" and be sure to VOTE IN OCTOBER!

Edited by UNTflyer

Hi everyone,

New to UNT and mean green football. I'm going this Saturday since neither my high school nor my first college had football. This will be my first college football game ever (at age 36!). So I got the student guess pass to bring the kid along, and I wonder what the situation with the parking, tailgating and UNT village activities are.

I'm aware of the orange lot. How early would one need to arrive to get a spot in there?

Can I drink frosty cold beverages in my parking space no matter the lot I'm in? What if I have to park in a lot not directly adjacent to the stadium?

What goes on in the UNT village? Anything for the kid (7yo) to do in there?

How early before the game does one need to enter the stadium to get decent seats in the student section?

What concessions are available? (No beer at NCAA events these days, right?)

Thanks in advance for the information.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Welcome to North Texas and Mean Green football.

Not sure about Orange Lot parking, but the lot on the east side of the Super Pit across from Clark Hall is a good shady spot. Drinking is fine, just pick up your trash. It's a short walk over to the stadium.

Mean Green village will be fun for your son, but I think the bounce house and activities of that nature are for Jr. Mean Green Club members. Costs $20 for the season and your child receives:

Jr. Mean Green Club T-shirt

Team Updates

Pre-game parties

Mean Green Buddy (Player from the team is matched up with your child)

Fun Zone discounts

Photos with the players and Scrappy

Football Spirit Line

Discount Tickets to basketball games.

Follow the band into the stadium and you will be able to pick your seats.

Concessions: Dogs, Sausage on a stick, funnel cakes, kettle corn, pizza, soft drinks/water, popcorn, candy, etc...

The kicker? Waterless urinals. Don't ask how they work, just trust me on this!

Don't forget your sunscreen. You'll be facing the setting sun.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Bounce house and other things for the kids. He'll have a blast in the village.

Don't know about drinking in the lots not adjacent to the stadium.

Student section... just get there earlier than 15 minutes before kickoff and you should be fine.

Typical fare: hot dogs, popcorn, pizza, soda, etc.

P.S. Join "Students for a New Stadium" and be sure to VOTE IN OCTOBER!

Fifteen minutes before game time and he might be the only one in the student section. Seriously, we have a very late arriving student section.

Otherwise, good answers and I hope that you can get him and about 500 others in "Students for a New Stadium" before the voting. Good job, Flyer; you're always in there selling.

I currently park in the green lot. I plan on having a frosty brew at my car before entering the stadium. I used to park in the lots by The Super Pit and enjoyed many frosty beverages along with others. I think (on gameday) you can enjoy a drink pretty much anywhere on campus. If you want an official policy I believe it is posted on the NT athletic site.

Welcome to Mean Green Country!

Thanks for the welcome all.

Soo.. Tell me about this new stadium thing. I went to UC Irvine in Southern California, and the closest football team was at Cal State Fullerton.

They were similar to UNT in enrollment, the opponents they played and the results therein.

In 1991, they opened a shiny new football stadium, played one season in it, ran out of money, and dropped football forever. The stadium now hosts the soccer team and some high school football games.

I don't know that I can draw complete parallels to the UNT situation, but I can attest that a new stadium is not necessarily a panacea for all that ails your program.

Where would the construction money be coming from, and how would it affect the overall athletic budget? I know there's an argument that a new stadium would be a recruitment tool, but without money to run the program, that becomes moot.

Of course, the intangible variable that I'm leaving out is that this IS Texas. Football carries a wee bit higher priority here than it does in most California schools (unless you're at USC, otherwise known as SMU west).

Nobody (well, not everybody, anyway) is saying that a new stadium will be a panacea for all our problems. But when you visit Fouts Field, you will understand why a new stadium in needed. Funding will need to come from corporate and alumni donors, and a student-approved fee.

By the way, welcome to the board!

I know there's an argument that a new stadium would be a recruitment tool, but without money to run the program, that becomes moot.

I've thought about this myself. I find Oklahoma State to be a puzzling situation. In theory, where $$ = success, OSU should be right up among the best (and who knows, maybe they will be this year) and yet every year they have disappointing season after disappointing season.

So it's probably more to it than stadiums and money. Just throwing that out there.

In theory, where $$ = success, OSU should be right up among the best (and who knows, maybe they will be this year) and yet every year they have disappointing season after disappointing season.

"WHAT!!!?! WHY DO YOU WANT TO GO AFTER A DEFENSELESS OLD BILLIONAIRE??!1? JUST BECASUE HE HAS MONEY??!? IF YOU WANT TO COME AFTER SOMEONE--COME AFTER ME!!! i'M A MAN!!! i'M 40!!!"

OK, here we go...I am an OK State grad also...OK State and it's fans are in no way content to go 7-5 every year and play in a "minor bowl" game. Come on,. if that were the case the "old billionaire" would not be sending in his $$$$ to help the program get to where it can beat ZERO U on a somewhat regular basis. OSU is a bit like TTech and several "other" program around the country. It is not THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA and has not had the same funding support through the years for its football prgram. But BB, Wrestling, Golf, etc. have been BIG TIME at OSU for many years on a fairly regular basis. Athletic Dept. $$$ went where they could. Part of the "challenge" has been to recruit and hang on to big time coaches such as Jimmy Johnson, Les Miles, etc., etc. They do a good job at OSU and then a higher profile program lures them away with bigger $$$$. This may just be where Pickens' $$$ help a great deal. Take a look at Nebraska...what happened to them when their long-time winning coach retired????? Coaches can and do make a difference (UNT should take notice as this could very well happen to Dodge once he turns the program into a winning program...and he WILL).

The Big XII South is a tough conference division. If OSU were in the North, I think the record may well have been better the last few years. But, bring 'em on...yoou play the best, you get better. OK, we'll see about that one. Just think what OSU's record might have been if they had been able to hold on to some 4th quarter leads the last couple of years. That speaks to several issues...not the least of which is depth late in the game. That "challenge" seems to finally be getting resolved at OSU.

So, no OSU fans are not "OK" with 7-5, but I'd bet there are plenty of programs out there whose fans would love to see 7-5 and a bowl game. Know any local ones????

I will end with GO MEAN GREEN!

Thanks for the welcome all.

Soo.. Tell me about this new stadium thing. I went to UC Irvine in Southern California, and the closest football team was at Cal State Fullerton.

They were similar to UNT in enrollment, the opponents they played and the results therein.

In 1991, they opened a shiny new football stadium, played one season in it, ran out of money, and dropped football forever. The stadium now hosts the soccer team and some high school football games.

I don't know that I can draw complete parallels to the UNT situation, but I can attest that a new stadium is not necessarily a panacea for all that ails your program.

Where would the construction money be coming from, and how would it affect the overall athletic budget? I know there's an argument that a new stadium would be a recruitment tool, but without money to run the program, that becomes moot.

Of course, the intangible variable that I'm leaving out is that this IS Texas. Football carries a wee bit higher priority here than it does in most California schools (unless you're at USC, otherwise known as SMU west).

Fouts is functionally obsolete. That's the most tactful way to put it. The money will not bankrupt the athletic department as the stadium fund will be separate from the athletic budget.

Walk around the tailgate area and meet some of the posters from the board. You'll get a history lesson on all things North Texas, get some great food and drink and will meet friends you'll have for a lifetime. I moved to Houston a little over three years ago and hate this time of year. I used to go to every game, but now only make a couple a year and really miss it.