4 Games On Txa 21

UNTflyer

DENTON, Texas (8/22/08) – The University of North Texas and TXA 21 has announced the broadcast of four football games for the upcoming 2008 season. The Mean Green's home opener against Tulsa on September 6 will be televised live on TXA 21 in the metroplex along with the Sept. 27 road game at Rice.

TXA 21 will also carry both of the ESPN Regional broadcasts in the Dallas-Fort Worth area on October 4 against Florida International and November 1 at Western Kentucky. Those games are part of the Sun Belt Conference television package.

North Texas alumni Doug Anderson (play-by-play announcer), LaDarrin McLlain (color analyst), and Dave Knobler (sideline) will comprise the broadcast team.

"We are very excited that TXA 21 had an interest in putting together a local television package that is not only beneficial to our sponsors but also our fans," said North Texas Deputy Athletic Director Hank Dickenson. "It's outstanding for us that there will be two North Texas graduates in the broadcast booth. We are very happy to begin what we hope will be a long term partnership between North Texas and TXA 21.

The Mean Green has five games scheduled for television this season as the September 13 game at LSU is scheduled to be broadcast by Cox Sports (tape delayed).

----------------

AWESOME NEWS!

Edited by UNTflyer

I kinda understand. Hopefully this will actually get more people to the games.

Maybe attendance will increase for future un-televised games if we put on a good show, but I can see some people staying home for the Tulsa game since it's on TV. It may be as simple as not having to find a baby sitter or now they can go to someone's party and still see the game there. It will hurt attendance a little, but hopefully it will be watched by football fans who have never seen UNT play and they will become new fans.

Pros of televised games:

1. Its a three hour commercial for your product

2. Televised games create a 'big time' atmosphere.

3. Creates a buzz around your program

4. Exposes the Mean Green to thousands who would never consider coming to Denton to watch a game.

5. Builds and expands your fan base

6. Good recruiting tool

Cons:

1. A few fans may stay home to watch on TV

Maybe attendance will increase for future un-televised games if we put on a good show, but I can see some people staying home for the Tulsa game since it's on TV. It may be as simple as not having to find a baby sitter or now they can go to someone's party and still see the game there. It will hurt attendance a little, but hopefully it will be watched by football fans who have never seen UNT play and they will become new fans.

I think the Tulsa game will sellout.

Okay, at least I hope it does.

let's be honest, the people who would let the game being on TV keep them away from fouts probably wouldn't come anyway. i think this is good for the guy who thinks, "man, i know i go/went to NT but i really want to watch the UT game". hopefully, they flip to the NT game and see the direction of the program and jump on board (hopefully financially).