Here's My Starting Defense As Things Stand Today

Harry

Whoa!! I would go to war with those guys any day. With DeLoach working with them, that group would be fearsome. I know we have more talent and wouldn't slight any of them, but this 11 would be effective.

Looking at that... plus the likes of Ross and a few others (and an proven, experienced D- Coordinator) I think our defense will be light years ahead of what it was last year.

I suppose that isn't saying too much since a little improvement would look like it is huge step compared to last year.

I just want to see us be competitive defensively and I think we have the tools to do that. Health is THE key factor.

NT Ike Thomas

DT Joe Miller

DE Ed Gilmore

DE Zo Horton

LB Craig Robertson

LB Tobe Nwigwe

LB AJ Penson

DB Kylie Hill

DB Kartey Agbottah

CB Antoine Bush

CB Adryan Adams

You're counting on quite a bit of 'IFs' being answered!---is this your opening day lineup??

Mine would be:

DE Davenport (JUCO Horton possibly starting by week 3-4)

DT Desoto (rotating with I. Thomas if healthy)

DT Joe Miller

DE Gilmore

LB C. Robertson

LB Mahan (Sr. leadership)

LB Nwigwe (biggest LBer we have)

CB A. Bush

CB Nurudeen (don't think a Juco will replace him by first game)

DB Agbottah

DB Garden/Hill (or whoever is our biggest hitter)

This is everyone's first year in a new defense, Deloach's. I think the transfers will have plenty of chances to take the starting spot. Pretty much leveled everyone to the same playing field.

My wish is to see the drastic improvement in the defense this year that we did in the offense last year. That will equal success in my books for this year and my expectations will be much higher next.

Edited by FireFightnJoey

I'd have a hard time arguing with that lineup, especially the DL and LBs. As far as the defensive backfield, I have no idea. We are talking about a secondary that was absolutely shredded last year, so I wouldn't even say Bush is an absolute guarantee. We have a lot of fresh blood coming in, and I am curious to see how they and Greg Garden will do. I'm looking forward to seeing all those questions answered--hopefully in a way that points the Mean Green to the win column!

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

The other factor is to remember that DeLoach like to rotate his DL, so the two deep will be critical to our improvement.

I think a majority of the defensive backfield issues last year were scheme related, so I have no idea who to count on back there. I do think Bush has the talent to start as long as he, and all the returning DB's, can burn last year from their memory.

DE's: Gilmore and Horton starting with Russo, Brown and Davenport as back-ups. I know Brown is listed as a DT, but at 255 he's more suited to DE and am strictly guessing that he may end up there. Marquis Sykes could also be a factor here.

DT's: Miller and Ross starting with Thomas and Desoto as back-ups. Stewart and Scoggins provide depth

LB's: Roberson, Mahan and Penson starting. Nwgiwe, Padron and Warren as backups.

CB's: Bush and Adams starting with Nurudeen and Donte Neal as backups

S: Hill and Edwards starting with Garden and Agbottah as backups.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Finally, BIGDAWG and Lifer picked up on the fact that Justin Edwards hadn't even been mentioned.

Edwards was an all-regional (DFW) selection who signed with Iowa and played in seven games as a true freshman. He had some ridiculous numbers at Easter Arizona CC with something like 160 tackles. He was a regional pick for the NJCAA All-Anerica team.

I'm thinking and hoping that we have an Aaron Weathers clone who I'm looking forward to seeing play this coming season,

If the first game of 2008 was next Sat, I would go with UNTLifer's

line up! I do think Ross will push Miller out as 1st team DT.

I do expect DeSoto and Scoggins to play alot- both guys have

had a over year working out, so they should be in the 290 range.

DeLoach did state that Charlie Brown should get 40 or more

snaps in a game. He may be lighter than a proto type DT, but-

Charlie is quick and strong to shed off blocks and fast enough to

chase down a QB. As Deloach said, he will use alot of rotation with

the players to keep the guys fresh, which to me means, not only the starters

but the 2 deep and in some cases the 3 deep will play this year.

LB's and DB's will be the best NT has had in some time. Secondary will

have very good players and depth- now if they can gel together.

I have been reading about the new ways to defense the spread offense.

First, is coaches are looking for quick agile DT's, that are not giant monster

DT's. The coaches want DT's that can get around the OL guys. Second- the

D coaches want DE's that can move- float into space in the flats, cover the

RB's coming out, so again, speed and quickness for the DE's. Perfect fit

for Gillmore and Horton, Russo,Davenport, Sykes, and Krider.

The other factor is to remember that DeLoach like to rotate his DL, so the two deep will be critical to our improvement.

I think a majority of the defensive backfield issues last year were scheme related, so I have no idea who to count on back there. I do think Bush has the talent to start as long as he, and all the returning DB's, can burn last year from their memory.

DE's: Gilmore and Horton starting with Russo, Brown and Davenport as back-ups. I know Brown is listed as a DT, but at 255 he's more suited to DE and am strictly guessing that he may end up there. Marquis Sykes could also be a factor here.

DT's: Miller and Ross starting with Thomas and Desoto as back-ups. Stewart and Scoggins provide depth

LB's: Roberson, Mahan and Penson starting. Nwgiwe, Padron and Warren as backups.

CB's: Bush and Adams starting with Nurudeen and Donte Neal as backups

S: Hill and Edwards starting with Garden and Agbottah as backups.

Edwards played corner at Iowa and at JC and I believe thats where UNT was hoping he would play when they signed him...if he can play safety as well then I think it comes down to who's better where - Agbottah at safety or Bush at corner...I give the nod to Agbottah. Also Donte neal is a transfer from Mizzou and will have to sit out this season.

Here's my hopeful 2-deep

DE - Alonzo Horton

Marquis Sykes

DT - Joseph Miller

Draylon Ross

DT - Ike Thomas

Jonathon Stewart

DE - Eddrick Gilmour

Charlie Brown

OLB - Colt Mahan

A.J. Penson

MLB - Tobe Nwigwe

Marquese Davis

OLB - Craig Robertson

Steve Warren

CB - Justin Edwards

Antoine Bush

CB - Adryan Adams

Latif Nurudeen

FS - Kylie Hill

Germain Dawson

SS - Kartay Agbottah

Greg Garden

There may be many things up in the air with the rosters and depth charts, but one thing is certain, Adams will not be playing corner. He was recruited as a safety to fill a need. He will be playing safety.

Im assuming you mean Edwards...since you put Adams at corner in your starting line-up.

I tried to make that point in my post that Edwards will play where the need is greatest...and I see more upside in Agbottah at safety than I do in Bush at corner. I think Bush is an ideal slot corner in a nickel or dime.

Im assuming you mean Edwards...since you put Adams at corner in your starting line-up.

I tried to make that point in my post that Edwards will play where the need is greatest...and I see more upside in Agbottah at safety than I do in Bush at corner. I think Bush is an ideal slot corner in a nickel or dime.

Yes, you are correct, I was talking about Edwards at safety.

BUsh is a very solid corner...maybe still the best on the teamin my opinion. Yes, he does not have the great size, but he can play the run, and more than holds his own as a coverage guy...IMHO