There was an article in Time a week or two ago about how people react in different types of emergencies. It talked about a lot of the things in that article.

Our boss had us all read that article at work: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...1810315,00.html

This is an interesting subject. To get involved or not? I've been to many an accident scenes on the road, some extremely shocking with people strode all over the place, the worst on 121 Airport Freeway at Beach Street 5 years ago in which my fathers' company were the first on scene, and I remember hearing my Dad's voice as he gave his size up and thinking "Oh crap, this is going to be bad". We got there and there had to be at least 200 people who had pulled over, got out of their vehicles, others who walked over from nearby houses and businesses, all wanting to help the 14 or so mangled and trapped victims. But then, I've made fires during winter time in which a family just lost everything and they are left to stand out in the cold as their neighbors watch from their windows without one person offering to take them in? I saw the interview of the guy from Yipsilani Michigan who pulled his gun to thwart a bank robbery yesterday. He has a CHL and told the guy who yelled he had a bomb to lie down. I can't imagine in the above case of the 2 year old why someone didn't at least put a hand on the guy to stop him? It may have been just the wrong timing of the types who pulled over? If your not going to do anything, like the one woman who stayed in her car then why stop at all? Looking for something to throw at him? Then what? There's a lot of gutless people out there today so there's no telling what was going through their minds? Maybe the childs brains popping out of his ears made them think what's the use, he's dead already? All I can say is I know what I would have done. Hard to speak for others, especially in California?

Rick

This is an interesting subject. To get involved or not? I've been to many an accident scenes on the road, some extremely shocking with people strode all over the place, the worst on 121 Airport Freeway at Beach Street 5 years ago in which my fathers' company were the first on scene, and I remember hearing my Dad's voice as he gave his size up and thinking "Oh crap, this is going to be bad". We got there and there had to be at least 200 people who had pulled over, got out of their vehicles, others who walked over from nearby houses and businesses, all wanting to help the 14 or so mangled and trapped victims. But then, I've made fires during winter time in which a family just lost everything and they are left to stand out in the cold as their neighbors watch from their windows without one person offering to take them in? I saw the interview of the guy from Yipsilani Michigan who pulled his gun to thwart a bank robbery yesterday. He has a CHL and told the guy who yelled he had a bomb to lie down. I can't imagine in the above case of the 2 year old why someone didn't at least put a hand on the guy to stop him? It may have been just the wrong timing of the types who pulled over? If your not going to do anything, like the one woman who stayed in her car then why stop at all? Looking for something to throw at him? Then what? There's a lot of gutless people out there today so there's no telling what was going through their minds? Maybe the childs brains popping out of his ears made them think what's the use, he's dead already? All I can say is I know what I would have done. Hard to speak for others, especially in California?

Rick

Well getting involved means risking a lawsuit or worst these days it seems, you had better be damn sure what you are running into before you risk your life. Which I think is interesting, I think many people would risk their lives before they would risk being sued or prosecuted.

Damn Liberal courts, I hate libs.

I really don't get the lady....who pulled up first....watched it for 7 minutes.....who had three grown men (a 52 year old volunteer fireman, a 20 year old son and his friend....and she claims they couldn't do anything. That if they could have found rocks or something they would have thrown it at him. I guess (as a SF paper commenter at the bottom of the story noted)....wouldn't their car have had a tire iron?

Anyway, she says that no one should second guess her.

Sorry sis.....you and your group come across as the biggest wimps on the planet. Especially the volunteer fireman. I realize that he's a volunteer and not a pro like our friend FFR....but wouldn't a volunteer fireman at least sort of be prepared to save lives?

These folks deserve whatever nightmares they have over this.

Edited by SUMG

Well getting involved means risking a lawsuit or worst these days it seems, you had better be damn sure what you are running into before you risk your life.

There's not a jury in the world that would convict me if I got out of my car and bashed that guy in the head with a tire iron.

E.D.,

What is the basis for those statistics you cite in your signature? $12 billion to provide education to every kid on the earth? Realistically? The U.S. Dept. of Education administers a budget of $68.6 billion per year.

It looks like he referenced where he got those figures...I think most school districts having more administrators than teachers might have something to do with the inflated budget.

It looks like he referenced where he got those figures

Nope. Just links to some leftist propaganda websites.

I think most school districts having more administrators than teachers might have something to do with the inflated budget.

No doubt the budget is inflated. Rarely can the government do anything in a remotely streamlined fashion. Yet the statistic is suggesting that the government could perform the task of educating every child in the world for $12 billion. I am very skeptical.

Nope. Just links to some leftist propaganda websites.

No doubt the budget is inflated. Rarely can the government do anything in a remotely streamlined fashion. Yet the statistic is suggesting that the government could perform the task of educating every child in the world for $12 billion. I am very skeptical.

I'm slightly skeptical of that figure as well...hell, I don't even know how you would really even figure out a number like that...but I think the point of Eagle's signature shouldn't be lost...the resources dedicated to the Iraq war could've been significantly better allocated to truly better the world.

E.D.,

What is the basis for those statistics you cite in your signature? $12 billion to provide education to every kid on the earth? Realistically? The U.S. Dept. of Education administers a budget of $68.6 billion per year.

Really. There are 2 billion children from ages 0-18 in the world. I don't think $6 will provide them all with much of an education... but you are not meant to question those figures, you are to just agree that anything is better than the Iraq War.

Given that U.S. spends an average of $8,700 per year per student, the actual number should be $17.4 trillion per year to educate every child in the world.

But then his signature compares it to the cost of the war thus far, so you need to multiply that by 5 years and we come to a grand total of $87 trillion to educate every child in the world during the period we've been in Iraq.