Promotions

UNTflyer

My family came to Texas for my graduation last month. For most of them, it was their first visit to the Lone Star state.

As I drove them around campus the day before graduation, I pointed out all the improvements happening... the Environmental Sciences building, the Rec center, the new dorms, the upgraded landscaping, etc. As we drove around, my mother commented "I never knew your school was so big. How many students go here?"

I proudly said "At last count, about 34,000. We're the 3rd largest university in Texas."

She blinks at me and says, "Well, if your school is so big, how come we don't see UNT stuff in all the stores..? That's what FSU does in Tallahassee."

We need to do a better job this year. I plan on grabbing a bunch of those schedule posters, keeping them in my car, and asking every restaurant, bar, gas station that I patron to hang it up somewhere conspicuous. I think part of the reason UNT does not promote itself is because we the fans do not demand it.

The first or second year that Hayden Fry was Coach/Athletic director, there was a (for lack of a better description) traveling spirit event that included cheerleaders and talons and other people from the athletic department. They drove to various small towns in the Denton area and set up on the town square and had an improtu pep rally. They then went to all of the businesses around the town square and put up posters and gave all the of merchants schedule cards.

<_<

FFR, sometimes I wish we could send you into the CLC offices with a baseball bat and an ink pen to fix this.

But then...

...the demand for much of this stuff, past the students, alumni and faculty/staff is going to be based upon fanbase purchases. The downside to that is that even with the greatest promotions in the world, that's worthless without at least 2 major winning seasons to boast.

The first or second year that Hayden Fry was Coach/Athletic director, there was a (for lack of a better description) traveling spirit event that included cheerleaders and talons and other people from the athletic department. They drove to various small towns in the Denton area and set up on the town square and had an improtu pep rally. They then went to all of the businesses around the town square and put up posters and gave all the of merchants schedule cards.

I too wish there was more promotion of the Mean Green throughout Denton and the Metroplex. I witnessed first hand what Hayden Fry was capable of. I was a student at the University of Iowa in 1978 when Hayden Fry was hired away from UNT. Iowa had just completed their 17th straight losing season. Hayden was a Master Salesperson and a Marketing Genuis to promote and grow the football program. Everywhere you went in Iowa City you would see the logo, the Tiger Hawk, that he created. In his third season he lead the Hawkeyes to the Rose Bowl.

Todd Dodge is a proven winner. I am very confident that Todd will be a success and I predict he will have multiple Sun Belt titles in the very near future. Coming out of September with at least two wins will be a good start to better visibility and promotion of the team.

My family came to Texas for my graduation last month. For most of them, it was their first visit to the Lone Star state.

As I drove them around campus the day before graduation, I pointed out all the improvements happening... the Environmental Sciences building, the Rec center, the new dorms, the upgraded landscaping, etc. As we drove around, my mother commented "I never knew your school was so big. How many students go here?"

I proudly said "At last count, about 34,000. We're the 3rd largest university in Texas."

She blinks at me and says, "Well, if your school is so big, how come we don't see UNT stuff in all the stores..? That's what FSU does in Tallahassee."

We need to do a better job this year. I plan on grabbing a bunch of those schedule posters, keeping them in my car, and asking every restaurant, bar, gas station that I patron to hang it up somewhere conspicuous. I think part of the reason UNT does not promote itself is because we the fans do not demand it.

Next time I drive up to Denton from Dallas to go around the Denton square and up and down University Drive putting up schedule posters I will definitely invite you to join me. Let me tell you, after you've done it for a few years your frustration with athletics promotion will only increase. <_<

Edited by emmitt01

The list of worst NT Athletic Dept decisions ever includes signing an agreement with CLC for merchandising. :angry:

Also on the list: dropping to 1-AA, hiring Bob Tyler as football coach, hiring Tommy Newman as basketball coach, hiring Craig Helwig as AD, etc....

Start printing bro.