More Answers On Apr, Scary Quote On Future

Harry

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

"We are definitely headed in the right direction," UNT director of compliance Daryl Simpson said. "But once you start off in a hole — we have been around 915 all four years — it's going to take a couple of years to get out of it. It's a four-year average. Can I say next year we are not going to have penalties? I don't know. It's an average that takes a couple of good years and dropping off a couple of bad years to correct."

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

"We are definitely headed in the right direction," UNT director of compliance Daryl Simpson said. "But once you start off in a hole — we have been around 915 all four years — it's going to take a couple of years to get out of it. It's a four-year average. Can I say next year we are not going to have penalties? I don't know. It's an average that takes a couple of good years and dropping off a couple of bad years to correct."

Vito: "Another question that came up today is whether student athletes’ actions in the 2006-07 school year affected UNT’s score. The answer is yes. The report ran through that 06-07 school year."

From that it appears the report is based on football seasons 03-06....or DD-era years. :angry:

Vito: "Another question that came up today is whether student athletes’ actions in the 2006-07 school year affected UNT’s score. The answer is yes. The report ran through that 06-07 school year."

From that it appears the report is based on football seasons 03-06....or DD-era years. :angry:

What?

We are in the 07-08 school year. The report ran INCLUDING the 06-07 school year which includes Coach Dodge's first year and the 2007 season.

I think PHSCoach was looking at the number of players who left the team after Dodge was hired in Late 2006, so some of them would have counted in the APR rating if they did not return for the Spring 2007 semester, but the hurt could really happen next year when the players who did not get reupped on their scholarship are shown, but if they were in good standing then it should be ok for at least one point.

No. That would have been the 2006 season, Dickey's last year.

That means that all the turnover of last season has not even hit yet. This could be a major problem. I appreciate the NCAA's intent but like all their rules there always seem to be a lot of exceptions which seem to always go to the rich programs. There is a major flaw in this approach inasmuch as there is nothing to mandate that athletes are actually enrolled in normal college level programs. Take UT for example, there are probably not a handful of football players that could have got into UT under normal entrance requirements, but yet the vast majority seem to be enrolled in programs that they can maintain acceptable academic status.

Still have not seen any official comment on this mess, it seems to be me that the AD should be held accountable. This is not a one year problem, based on Simpson"s comments but something that should have been corrected years ago. It appears based the numbers and what could easily be even a worse rating for this year that NT could be in trouble for years and may quickly join the chronic offender group.

Wouldn't a program like Texas take a huge ding when players leave school for the pros before they actually graduate. Didn't Benson leave a year early? I know Jamaal Charles is leaving early this year. And what about all of those basketball players that have been leaving UT in droves, many after their freshman year. Wouldn't the UT basketball program get a major ding for players not graduating? Heck, many of them didn't even make it to their sophomore years. Or, do the rules simply not apply to the big boys? Someone enlighten me. I really don't know.

, so some of them would have counted in the APR rating if they did not return for the Spring 2007 semester, but the hurt could really happen next year when the players who did not get reupped on their scholarship are shown,

The four players that I spoke of were not on campus in the spring of 2007 and did count in the 06-07 that was just handed down.

Looking at the players that we lost from the summer of 2007 until now plus the ones that "are not coming back" the head count should be around 8 (Take a look at the Spring roster). Some of these 8 have grade problems many do not. To stay above the 925 mark the max points you can lose is 12.7 or 15 if they count the 105 man roster. A couple of grade problems and we will be under the 915 mark that we had this year.

Here's a twist boys and girls, we need an equestrian program so we can bring in 10-15 little rich girls (and a few rich little boys :rolleyes: ) with their rich parents (its not a cheap sport to compete in grade and high school by any means) and give them scholarships. That's how several schools have help compete/satisfy Title 9 and APR. The English and Western equestrian competetions in elementary and high school produce very smart little rich girls that can make an immediate impact on donor money (from their parents) and academic levels in an athletic program. Trust me!

Dr. B. and RV, we don't need a vet program to produce a great varsity equestrian sport at UNT. I will give you names of people that will donate time and money, as well as a professional trainer that would come to work for you as a program developer tomorrow. Horses are donated all the time to schools with an equestrian program. I know a barn on 380/Naylor that will engage in discussions for the facility.

Not football, but I assure you, it will impact football in a positive way!!

Are baseball players smarter on the average?? Let's fix the problem!

Wouldn't a program like Texas take a huge ding when players leave school for the pros before they actually graduate. Didn't Benson leave a year early? I know Jamaal Charles is leaving early this year. And what about all of those basketball players that have been leaving UT in droves, many after their freshman year. Wouldn't the UT basketball program get a major ding for players not graduating? Heck, many of them didn't even make it to their sophomore years. Or, do the rules simply not apply to the big boys? Someone enlighten me. I really don't know.

They will lose one point when the player leaves if has the grades. It does not count each year just the year that he leaves. If he comes back and gets his grades then the school gets bouns points when he returns.

Not football, but I assure you, it will impact football in a positive way!!

Are baseball players smarter on the average?? Let's fix the problem!

Each sport must stand on their own grades so you can ad all the smart sports you want it will not help the football program

Each sport must stand on their own grades so you can ad all the smart sports you want it will not help the football program

Money helps all the sports, donors donate money and good programs elevate the entire school! Of course I have not mentioned how title 9 doesn't help football. Unless a Kathy Ireland comes along again it doesn't directly, but it does help athleticc from another penalty down the road. If you rlooking for silver bullets, keep looking. It's a total program balance that is necessary to prevent yet another attempt at damaging our program from outside influences.

Edited by GreenExes

Equestrian....yes. Most Eq programs are for females to help with the Title 9 issue. There is money out there to build the program and DFW is a hot spot for English and Western sports. The collegiate competitions used borrowed horses from the area, so kids don't have to take their own. A nice facility that would pay for itself could be built for $500K or less. The Denton area is begging for a nice Equestrian Center. Most of the kids that compete in the equestrian word are indeed rich...they have to be to have the horse , care, equipment etc.. Not football but I like it. :D

Equestrian....yes. Most Eq programs are for females to help with the Title 9 issue. There is money out there to build the program and DFW is a hot spot for English and Western sports. The collegiate competitions used borrowed horses from the area, so kids don't have to take their own. A nice facility that would pay for itself could be built for $500K or less. The Denton area is begging for a nice Equestrian Center. Most of the kids that compete in the equestrian word are indeed rich...they have to be to have the horse , care, equipment etc.. Not football but I like it. :D

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/sports/w-eques...quest-body.html

As I already mentioned, some schools received waivers if their estimated graduation rate for athletes is 10 percent higher than its student body or because they showed that they are under funded.

UNT has a high student body graduation percent, so that makes it all the more difficult to get a waiver, which the idiots on Phony Board don't understand.

The coaches can make sure players go to class and they can check on grades, but they can't make them pass. Of the players that TD and crew recruited, the only one that I can think of immediately that will hurt is Kevin Eealy (sp?). As for the guys those players which were here before the new staff, they, the previous staff and the academic advisors must take the blame. If you bring in a questionnable guy - that's on the coaching staff and academic advisors. If he has grades in HS and then fails in college that's on player and academic advisors. If coaches aren't following up with players attendance in class - that's on the previous and to some extent the new staff (I happen to know the current staff is doing this).

As for comments on running players off - for the most part this just isn't true. Every new coach has his way of doing things. As a player you adjust to the new way and show that you want to be a part of what they're doing. There just aren't very many situations where a kid does all that is asked of him and a coach simply takes away their scholarship. It is generally a culmination of many issues that add up to a reason why someone is left go - not just a coach running someone off.

Also the UT QB that is transferring...Kline?

The four players that I spoke of were not on campus in the spring of 2007 and did count in the 06-07 that was just handed down.

Looking at the players that we lost from the summer of 2007 until now plus the ones that "are not coming back" the head count should be around 8 (Take a look at the Spring roster). Some of these 8 have grade problems many do not. To stay above the 925 mark the max points you can lose is 12.7 or 15 if they count the 105 man roster. A couple of grade problems and we will be under the 915 mark that we had this year.

Yep... any player that has been lost this school year was not counted in this report... Dodge whether he is thrilled with DD recruits or not will have to live with them and try to keep them in school..... and not encourage them to just go away.... it could get worse next year or beyond if he does not succeed in keeping them in school and getting them to graduate.. Hate to tell you bad news but the truth is what it is. He needs to hang onto them and not encourage them to disappear. Coming out of HS coaching he may not have understood the rule this year but I bet this got his attention. He needs to recruit well and hang onto to them and keep even DD recruits in school or take a hit on scholarships..

This report Dodge had nothing to do with, all future reports he will, because those leaving (anyones recruits) will hurt us. Good athletes need to be recruited but they need to be decent students as well. Can't have one/two semesters and done students....doesn't matter why they leave.. grades, kicked off, unhappy, or what...or it could get worse.