Alex Voyoukas Update

MeanGreen61

April 20, 2008

Alex Vouyoukas update

I picked up an interesting note on Blair Academy forward Alex Vouyoukas today. The 6-9 forward accidentally called me back a second time this afternoon, this time after he played in the fifth annual Big Apple Scholarship Games in New York.

The game features the top 40 players from the New York City area who have yet to commit to a college. Vouyoukas was committed to Davidson, but is back on the market because he didn't meet entrance requirements at the school.

While I had Vouyoukas on the phone, I asked how he did. Turns out he did very well, scoring 17 points to go along with 19 rebounds, four blocks and four assists.

Vouyoukas said he is hearing from programs all over the country and is considering UNT.

Coaches from across the country were at the event. Vouyoukas said he didn't talk to anyone on UNT's staff, which was headed to the Kingwood Classic in Houston late in the week. UNT’s coaches have been in contact with the staff at Blair Academy and are expected to talk with Vouyoukas soon.

UNT would have one of its best classes in the Johnny Jones era if it could pull this off. One factor that could play in UNT's favor is that most schools have handed out their scholarships at this point.

UNT has addressed its needs with the addition of Paris JC power forward Eric Tramiel and Arkansas-Fort Smith point guard Dominique Johnson. The Mean Green also picked up a project-type player in Arlington Grace Prep power forward Ben Knox.

UNT has one scholarship left to give and is looking to hit a home run like it did last year with the addition of Josh White. Considering the way he played in New York, Vouyoukas would certainly qualify.

He has my endorsement. I left him message with his coach and another on his cell phone and went two for two on callbacks.

The following is a link to the Big Apple Scholarship Games' Web site:

http://www.bigapplebasketball.com/hsexpo.html

Post your thoughts on the blog. Would the addition of Vouyoukas make UNT's 2008 class even better than its haul from 2007?

Posted by Brett Vito at 10:25 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

".......17 points to go along with 19 rebounds, four blocks and four assists." Dang... 17 points is impressive, but 19 rebounds?? 4 blocks and 4 assists?!? ... he must have all over the court.... I hope we land him...

".......17 points to go along with 19 rebounds, four blocks and four assists." Dang... 17 points is impressive, but 19 rebounds?? 4 blocks and 4 assists?!? ... he must have all over the court.... I hope we land him...

That must be totals from both games?

I keep checking in on the basketball forum in hopes that I'll see a posting that he signed!

Good - I'm not the only one. I also keep checking Rivals and Scout, although Rivals still has him signed with Davidson. No mention of not qualifying. I remember going through the same routine with Tristin Thompson last year.

Good - I'm not the only one. I also keep checking Rivals and Scout, although Rivals still has him signed with Davidson. No mention of not qualifying. I remember going through the same routine with Tristin Thompson last year.

Though you'd never hear me say it, because I think TT is one of the best talents on our roster, this guy would be a bigger get than TT according to most.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That someone is me. Right here

What is your favorite movie? If it is My Big Fat Greek Wedding, is it okay if I laugh? My Big Fat Greek Wedding is ok, but its kind of exaggerated! My favourite movies are 300 and Gladiator.

Are you the best player in your family? My brother is a great player and just graduated from Saint Louis last year. It is fun playing one on one against him.

You cannot get this hard-hitting exclusive anywhere else. Even more Greek-themed TY Sports coverage to come... in the mean time, enjoy the rich and compelling interview goodness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Signed LOI w/ UTSA over the weekend

I saw where things didn't work out at Marist and he left after a year... Glad he landed somewhere and hopefully we play UTSA in the next year or two so I can see him on court and dream of what might have been.

April 20, 2008

Alex Vouyoukas update

I picked up an interesting note on Blair Academy forward Alex Vouyoukas today. The 6-9 forward accidentally called me back a second time this afternoon, this time after he played in the fifth annual Big Apple Scholarship Games in New York.

The game features the top 40 players from the New York City area who have yet to commit to a college. Vouyoukas was committed to Davidson, but is back on the market because he didn't meet entrance requirements at the school.

While I had Vouyoukas on the phone, I asked how he did. Turns out he did very well, scoring 17 points to go along with 19 rebounds, four blocks and four assists.

Vouyoukas said he is hearing from programs all over the country and is considering UNT.

Coaches from across the country were at the event. Vouyoukas said he didn't talk to anyone on UNT's staff, which was headed to the Kingwood Classic in Houston late in the week. UNT’s coaches have been in contact with the staff at Blair Academy and are expected to talk with Vouyoukas soon.

UNT would have one of its best classes in the Johnny Jones era if it could pull this off. One factor that could play in UNT's favor is that most schools have handed out their scholarships at this point.

UNT has addressed its needs with the addition of Paris JC power forward Eric Tramiel and Arkansas-Fort Smith point guard Dominique Johnson. The Mean Green also picked up a project-type player in Arlington Grace Prep power forward Ben Knox.

UNT has one scholarship left to give and is looking to hit a home run like it did last year with the addition of Josh White. Considering the way he played in New York, Vouyoukas would certainly qualify.

He has my endorsement. I left him message with his coach and another on his cell phone and went two for two on callbacks.

The following is a link to the Big Apple Scholarship Games' Web site:

<a href="http://www.bigapplebasketball.com/hsexpo.html" target="_blank">http://www.bigapplebasketball.com/hsexpo.html</a>

Post your thoughts on the blog. Would the addition of Vouyoukas make UNT's 2008 class even better than its haul from 2007?

Posted by Brett Vito at 10:25 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

Don't get excited about him. Was checking him on google and ran across a post from UTSA that they had signed him to a letter of intent. It has him from Greece. OldTimer