Aire Raid Siren

Mad Hatter

Last year, at the start of the games, when the Team was about to run onto the fields, the press Box would pipe in an Air Raid siren (I think the announcer was usually talking over it). I know other sports teams use this, but I thought it was a nice touch since we use the air attack so much. Did anyone else notice this?

I think as long as our team uses a pass heavy offense we could really use this for more than just introductions. Maybe 15 minutes before kick off we could use it to let people know to start heading that way? Or after every score, Boomer goes off, and as the announcer begins giving the details of the score, before the band starts up, we could use it?

Maybe silly ideas, I just think we could use it.

I like the siren too. It adds a little touch, a threat to our opponent, a notice to the opponent to tighten chin and jock straps 'cause it's fixin' to be 60 minutes of hell. We need to be Mean Green!

UH has been doing this for a while...

The Blaze

Head Football Coach Jack Pardee, Heisman Trophy Winning Quarterback Andre Ware, and former Quarterback David Dacus felt the University lacked a symbol for the football team. An oil field siren was chosen to represent the University's ties to the petroleum industry and the "air-raid" style of offense at the time. A group of students, all members of Sigma Chi Fraternity, manned a manual crank siren that sounded after each score. In the summer of 1991, David Carl Blazek, a staunch supporter of the University and member of Sigma Chi Fraternity, passed away. His death was a blow to the original men who ran the siren. They named the siren "The Blaze" in honor of their fallen brother. In the of Fall 1991, through the efforts of the "H" Association, the Taxi Squad, Pleas Doyle and the Hruska Family, the purchase of a new siren was complete. However, the siren did not arrive until the day before Homecoming. To this day, every time that The Blaze is sounded, the University hears the voice of David Carl Blazek.

Of course that doesnt preclude us from doing it as well. Just pointing it out...

Tortilla/Tech discussion in 3...2...1.

UH has been doing this for a while...

Of course that doesnt preclude us from doing it as well. Just pointing it out...

Tortilla/Tech discussion in 3...2...1.

Someone posted a while back that Tech has been doing the siren since Leach made the scene. Also TCU has a loud air horn as well. Certainly we won't be exclusive in doing it but no matter. It's fun and fitting.

I hope they keep the video with the player whose eyes turn green. I love that! (I have a picture of it I took at the Navy game, but I don't know how to put it into my post. I have an iMac G5 if anyone can give me the instructions.)

GMG!