Update About The Former Radisson Hotel

Guest 97and03

Guest 97and03

April 10, 2008

To: UNT community

As you know, UNT began operating the former Radisson Hotel when we purchased the land lease on the property March 31.

As of June 1, UNT will close the hotel, which will remain open and operating through May 31. All existing reservations will be honored.

Remaining employees of the hotel are being encouraged to consider applying for jobs at UNT as many of their skills will readily transfer to areas of the university. Employees will receive a package of information about employment possibilities at the university prior to the hotel's closure.

No plans for future use of the site have been finalized.

The hotel's location at the apex of I-35 E and I-35 W makes it a signature piece of property and a visual gateway to the university.

Assuming control of the property, which the university has owned since 1948, will ensure that its future use is complementary to UNT's plans and that it will continue to be viewed as an asset to the city of Denton.

Long term, having a full-service quality hotel in proximity to UNT is important to a vibrant campus life, especially when it comes to athletic, academic and cultural events; graduations; and the employment of our students.

With green pride,

Gretchen M. Bataille

President

Hopefully, the new hotel becomes the backdrop to the south end zone. That would provide 6 or 8 floors of "luxury boxes." And since it would be a "laboratory" hotel, perhaps state money could be used in the construction of the stadiu..er...laboratory hotel.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Hopefully, the new hotel becomes the backdrop to the south end zone. That would provide 6 or 8 floors of "luxury boxes." And since it would be a "laboratory" hotel, perhaps state money could be used in the construction of the stadiu..er...laboratory hotel.

Labratory hotel. :lol:

I almost spit out my Dr. Pepper on that one.

Do we have our own incarnation of "Touchdown Jesus" coming? An appropriate mural on the side facing the field would be a nice touch. Since it couldn't have a religious theme, how about a wide receiver in full stride, ball in hand and upraised talons?

Guest 97and03

Do we have our own incarnation of "Touchdown Jesus" coming? An appropriate mural on the side facing the field would be a nice touch. Since it couldn't have a religious theme, how about a wide receiver in full stride, ball in hand and upraised talons?

No that is a 15 yard penalty!

Guest GrayEagleOne

I have serious doubts that the hotel will be razed. I would guess that it'd more than likely be renovated. The university just paid about $4.5 million for the building and I don't think that they would be quick to blow that money away.

Also, encouraging employees to seek jobs with UNT seems to say that they will be used again at a later date. There is little doubt that it will reopen as a hotel. Hopefully, I'd like to see some individual (or corporation) give enough that they would name both the hotel and the School of Hospitality Management after him/it. Could it easily become the premier university program of its type in the nation? Or, even better, the football stadium as well.

I'm still searching for exactly how they will tie in the hotel as a complement to athletic and cultural events. My best guess is that they will house the competing teams when they come to Denton. A very large ballroom could accomodate the cultural and academic events.

Now, will they announce both the finalized plans for the hotel and the stadium this summer?

Now, will they announce both the finalized plans for the hotel and the stadium this summer?

Since we don't have new uniforms to unveil at this year's kickoff barbecue, this would be an acceptable substitute. Hell, I could even wait until August!

Guest 97and03

I have serious doubts that the hotel will be razed. I would guess that it'd more than likely be renovated. The university just paid about $4.5 million for the building and I don't think that they would be quick to blow that money away.

Also, encouraging employees to seek jobs with UNT seems to say that they will be used again at a later date. There is little doubt that it will reopen as a hotel. Hopefully, I'd like to see some individual (or corporation) give enough that they would name both the hotel and the School of Hospitality Management after him/it. Could it easily become the premier university program of its type in the nation? Or, even better, the football stadium as well.

I'm still searching for exactly how they will tie in the hotel as a complement to athletic and cultural events. My best guess is that they will house the competing teams when they come to Denton. A very large ballroom could accomodate the cultural and academic events.

That hotel will be level. Period. You can quote me.

I agree. If you look at the drawing of the original master plan that was published several years ago, it shows the footprint of the now Athletic Village, the new stadium, a new parking lot where Fouts will been removed. In addition, it shows the Radisson in place. It's location and parking lot as of right now, have no effect on the layout of the new stadium. The only way I could see the thing being demolished is if a building with a completely different use was going to be constructed. If UNT wants a hotel use on the site, they would gut the building and renovate the interior, give the exterior a face-lift.

If you click on the link below, you can see the published Master Plan. Word of warning, it's a HUGE pdf, and takes a long time to download. There are a couple of illustrations that show the proposed campus with the new stadium footprint. Can someone post JUST that page on here so we can all see it? (I'm too stupid to do that kind of stuff) I think it's on Page 44.

http://www.unt.edu/untmasterplan/documents...Master_Plan.pdf

Edited by trud1966

Here is the overview with the Hotel intact.

EaglePointCampus.jpg

My buddy has worked at the Radisson for the past 12 years. He and the entire food and beverage division of the hotel were laid off within the hour of the offical announcement.

I told him it was in the name of progress..... he was considered "collateral damage" and i would buy him his beer at the pre-game tailgating events this year

After he told me to F-off he did tell me a few interesting tidbits he heard

1. The hotel was coming down....sooner than most think

2. The property is going to be part of a new gateway athletic center....... whatever that is??????

3. And that Big News is coming

Who knows how much of this is true????? but I do think big things are a coming...

GO MEAN GREEN in 08

My buddy has worked at the Radisson for the past 12 years. He and the entire food and beverage division of the hotel were laid off within the hour of the offical announcement.

I told him it was in the name of progress..... he was considered "collateral damage" and i would buy him his beer at the pre-game tailgating events this year

After he told me to F-off he did tell me a few interesting tidbits he heard

1. The hotel was coming down....sooner than most think

2. The property is going to be part of a new gateway athletic center....... whatever that is??????

3. And that Big News is coming

Who knows how much of this is true????? but I do think big things are a coming...

GO MEAN GREEN in 08

Wow! Now that's a post that actually gives a glimmer of hope!

Guest GrayEagleOne

As I look at this, I'm wondering if there won't be another parking lot or two around the stadium. Anybody know if this is true?

You are looking at the Master Plan and parking lots (except for the dorm lot S of Victory) are not in the plans. Parking will be across the freeway at Fouts, the Green, Yellow and part of the Orange lot. There will be a parking garage across from the Super Pit.

Guest 97and03

Wow! Now that's a post that actually gives a glimmer of hope!

Dude! I just said it was coming down. Period. You didn't believe me.

My sources are good. Trust me! ;)

The cost to renovate that POS hotel would be around $8 million. It isn't worth it. Better to just start from scratch and build exactly what you want. I do not have great info on exactly what that will be.

Everybody together now! "Monorail...Monorail...MONORAIL!"

Marge_vs_the_Monorail.jpg

:lol:

Welcome to the "people who have compared this situation to the monorail episode" club. We meet every Thursday at 5:30 pm.

Guest GrayEagleOne

April 10, 2008

To: UNT community

As you know, UNT began operating the former Radisson Hotel when we purchased the land lease on the property March 31.

As of June 1, UNT will close the hotel, which will remain open and operating through May 31. All existing reservations will be honored.

Remaining employees of the hotel are being encouraged to consider applying for jobs at UNT as many of their skills will readily transfer to areas of the university. Employees will receive a package of information about employment possibilities at the university prior to the hotel's closure.

No plans for future use of the site have been finalized.

The hotel's location at the apex of I-35 E and I-35 W makes it a signature piece of property and a visual gateway to the university.

Assuming control of the property, which the university has owned since 1948, will ensure that its future use is complementary to UNT's plans and that it will continue to be viewed as an asset to the city of Denton.

Long term, having a full-service quality hotel in proximity to UNT is important to a vibrant campus life, especially when it comes to athletic, academic and cultural events; graduations; and the employment of our students.

With green pride,

Gretchen M. Bataille

President

The last paragraph makes no sense if they are going to tear it down UNLESS they are going to put up something even better.

Guest 97and03

The last paragraph makes no sense if they are going to tear it down UNLESS they are going to put up something even better.

Methinks the lad is on to something...