State Of The Stadium Project

FirefightnRick

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread.

I believe RV wants to make the stadium happen and is working towards that. He is openly talking about it and what it will take ($ and financing) to make it happen. He seems on a mission.

The main problem: we are not (yet) a University full of doctor, lawyer, and engineering alum$ like many schools have. We are full of music, education, arts, and general business majors and alums....millionaires we are not. It will take time to get the right mix and amount of donations, fees, and financing all together. But the Prez, BOR and NT as a whole all seem supportive now of the project, and it will be a go when that time happens.

I believe there will also be plans for other projects to come as funding allows, not all in order: a baseball stadium, a football indoor practice facility close to the stadium to allow for pregame functions/banquets too, and an indoor facility over by the former Liberty Christian campus co-shared by soccer, softball, golf, and other outdoor sports. One may happen before the other, again as funding is found.

Waiting is the hard part, but after talking to RV Saturday, I feel closer to the goal now than I have in 35 years.

I think that is an often overlooked fact. I believe that is why the endowment of the third largest university in Texas could buy the stadium we all want to see. yup, that's right. RV is trying to raise more money than the entire university's endowment.

UNT sports didn't have direction for quite some time. No one thinking big picture. Well, that same lack of direction and big picture was evident in the entire university. And that's a much bigger cultural problem to fix than just the athletics.

But; I am optimistic. for the first time in a long time, we have more than one piece of the puzzle in place. We have a great head football coach, a men's b-ball coach that turned around Trilli's mess. And we are turning around the mess that was facilities. I really think that RV and company have the momentum turned in the right direction. And its about to get cool because the next step is when its starts to gain momentum.

Throw me and most of my group in.

Mandy moving up to a role of fundraising, just gives you another example of poor leadership. The one person that so few of the alumni like working with, will now be one of 5 people trying to raise money for our future stadium.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

While I may be looking at this wrong Im going to weigh in anyway. I dont see that moving Mandy up is neccessarly a promotion.

Where Im going with all this is that we have been complaining for quite some time that mandy had to go because she just couldnt get the job done leading the Mean Green Club.

What were her biggest problems according to most of those complaining? That she wasnt concerned with the so called "little guy". That all she cared about was the big donor and just didnt have time for the medium and small donors.

Well guess what? We dont have to worry about that anymore. She has moved to a position were she can solely concentrate on the "BIG" donor. She wont have to waste her time with all us small donors and therefor I see that as a plus, not a negative.

While I may be looking at this wrong Im going to weigh in anyway. I dont see that moving Mandy up is neccessarly a promotion.

Where Im going with all this is that we have been complaining for quite some time that mandy had to go because she just couldnt get the job done leading the Mean Green Club.

What were her biggest problems according to most of those complaining? That she wasnt concerned with the so called "little guy". That all she cared about was the big donor and just didnt have time for the medium and small donors.

Well guess what? We dont have to worry about that anymore. She has moved to a position were she can solely concentrate on the "BIG" donor. She wont have to waste her time with all us small donors and therefor I see that as a plus, not a negative.

I never felt like Mandy was playing favorites with me, I just thought she was a bad tempered person, moody, and full of herself. And can go from 0-100 in an instant on you to being a complete bitch on wheels. Mostly I came away with the impression that she is not the brightest bulb in the pack, and in many cases she does not get it (whatever the "it" may be at the time). Then I don't ever remember her wearing green on game days, or acting in anyway that promoted School spirit. Now maybe if I was a big enough donor, would I some how see her wearing green, and would that really curb what seems to be personality trait of her jumping the gun to pounce on someone?

Edited by KingDL1

But; I am optimistic. for the first time in a long time, we have more than one piece of the puzzle in place. We have a great head football coach, a men's b-ball coach that turned around Trilli's mess. And we are turning around the mess that was facilities. I really think that RV and company have the momentum turned in the right direction. And its about to get cool because the next step is when its starts to gain momentum.

Don't forget Dr. B. She is doing a lot to add direction to the university.

I never felt like Mandy was playing favorites with me, I just thought she was a bad tempered person, moody, and full of herself. And can go from 0-100 in an instant on you to being a complete bitch on wheels. Mostly I came away with the impression that she is not the brightest bulb in the pack, and in many cases she does not get it (whatever the "it" may be at the time). Then I don't ever remember her wearing green on game days, or acting in anyway that promoted School spirit. Now maybe if I was a big enough donor, would I some how see her wearing green, and would that really curb what seems to be personality trait of her jumping the gun to ponce on someone?

Just to be fair, Im not a huge fan, but I have seen her wearing green on game days.

Go on with the chlorophyll...

I think that is an often overlooked fact. I believe that is why the endowment of the third largest university in Texas could buy the stadium we all want to see. yup, that's right. RV is trying to raise more money than the entire university's endowment.

UNT sports didn't have direction for quite some time. No one thinking big picture. Well, that same lack of direction and big picture was evident in the entire university. And that's a much bigger cultural problem to fix than just the athletics.

We've had a school of Medicine for decades. And I see people post all the time who are Lawyers. Engineers are yet to come. The problem is that any of these professionals that have been inclined to give to the University have already been identified and locked in for other "projects" by the development department. Athletics is not allowed to contact any of these people, so we've had to go out and find new doners.

So from my view of it (and I could be very wrong) Athletics has really been getting by on (donation-wise) scraps all these years.

What game? And don't say the last tU game down in Austin either. What game did you see her wearing green of any kind, and a black UA jump suit does not count?

Rick

As much as it might hurt to admit it, I've seen it too at the last few b-ball games I attended.

As much as it might hurt to admit it, I've seen it too at the last few b-ball games I attended.

Lately maybe? But not at the biggest home basketball game of the season, Oklahoma State. With my question to 1855 I'm more curious about the away football games when one trying to drum up support with the out-of-towners? Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, LSU?

Rick

Lately maybe? But not at the biggest home basketball game of the season, Oklahoma State. With my question to 1855 I'm more curious about the away football games when one trying to drum up support with the out-of-towners? Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, LSU?

Rick

well I thought she was wearing green at the last OU game, but I really don't take freaking notes on what the woman is wearing. I know I've seen her in green outside of Austin, but I didn't bother to take a picture for documentation. It should be noted I think this is a really stupid discussion. I think this issue is secondary (or tertiary, or what ever fourth-iary is) to the major concerns, which are relations with alumni ergo donors.

Rick

She had green at Baylor in 2004. That's about all I got...

What game? And don't say the last tU game down in Austin either. What game did you see her wearing green of any kind, and a black UA jump suit does not count?

Rick

She had a green Marmot rain jacket on at the WKU football game this season. The reason I even noticed was I bought the same jacket but opted for blue. Does that make me bad?

Edited by adman

well I thought she was wearing green at the last OU game, but I really don't take freaking notes on what the woman is wearing. I know I've seen her in green outside of Austin, but I didn't bother to take a picture for documentation. It should be noted I think this is a really stupid discussion. I think this issue is secondary (or tertiary, or what ever fourth-iary is) to the major concerns, which are relations with alumni ergo donors.

She was wearing a green dress at Dodge's Recruiting Meeting at the AC earlier this month. I'm not saying, I'm just saying....

She was wearing a green dress at Dodge's Recruiting Meeting at the AC earlier this month. I'm not saying, I'm just saying....

Maybe she is starting to get the hint, and part of it maybe that our interactions with her make some of us see red.

Nope - all brown tonight!

Not surprising.

And 1855, it is a stupid discussion. It's stupid because it's become the end result as the inside joke among the 100 or so Green Bloods I know personally that are there each and every weekend, home and away. Most have gotten to the point in which they have had it up to here with the pitiful customer service and eventually discussions get to the point of, "Well, what do you expect????" Our alumni, hell any alumni are not stupid people. Any time you have a group of people who donate money for free are going to have an interest in what's done with it. And with that how they are treated is just as important and people who belong to this university can pick up pretty quick on whether or not someone cares about them or their school or not. You can tell those who love their job and truly care about the job before them and those who are there to simply draw a paycheck. They usually come across as someone watching the clock.

Someone told me once that nothing is free. To which I turned around and left the $200 worth of stereo products I had intended on purchasing laying on the counter next to the cash register along with the statement of: "Wrong, Customer Service Is".

Second largest home basketball game crowd of the season and the director of the Mean Green Club, whose sole purpose is to raise the interest of the alumni and fans for free, donated funds...AGAIN wears anything other than GREEN. "Well, what do you expect???"

ANSWER: NOT F@#$ING MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Not surprising.

And 1855, it is a stupid discussion. It's stupid because it's become the end result as the inside joke among the 100 or so Green Bloods I know personally that are there each and every weekend, home and away. Most have gotten to the point in which they have had it up to here with the pitiful customer service and eventually discussions get to the point of, "Well, what do you expect????" Our alumni, hell any alumni are not stupid people. Any time you have a group of people who donate money for free are going to have an interest in what's done with it. And with that how they are treated is just as important and people who belong to this university can pick up pretty quick on whether or not someone cares about them or their school or not. You can tell those who love their job and truly care about the job before them and those who are there to simply draw a paycheck. They usually come across as someone watching the clock.

Someone told me once that nothing is free. To which I turned around and left the $200 worth of stereo products I had intended on purchasing laying on the counter next to the cash register along with the statement of: "Wrong, Customer Service Is".

Second largest home basketball game crowd of the season and the director of the Mean Green Club, whose sole purpose is to raise the interest of the alumni and fans for free, donated funds...AGAIN wears anything other than GREEN. "Well, what do you expect???"

ANSWER: NOT F@#$ING MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Rick

Yeah, Im with you. Completely understand where you're coming from, and I agree. Hard to sell a product people aren't even sure you believe in!

My original post was merely saying it isn't fair to say she NEVER wears green... both of my exchanges with the woman have been unpleasant so I'm not trying to go to bat for her. My only intent was to be fair. Or, fair-ish.

Yeah, Im with you. Completely understand where you're coming from, and I agree. Hard to sell a product people aren't even sure you believe in!

My original post was merely saying it isn't fair to say she NEVER wears green... both of my exchanges with the woman have been unpleasant so I'm not trying to go to bat for her. My only intent was to be fair. Or, fair-ish.

I heard a girl asking why that woman who works for the university wasn't wearing green or cheering during the game. They asked if she had a new job or something. I couldn't even turn around because I was laughing so hard.