Deloach Return?

H-towngreen

DeLoach helped develop some of the best defensive players in UNT history during his tenure with the Mean Green, including defensive lineman Brandon Kennedy and linebackers Brad Kassell and Cody Spencer.

Without a core of defensive players like that, our defense won't make an immediate (and magical) return to our 2002 defensive glory.

Here's hoping that Booger Kennedy wasn't to Gary DeLoach, what Vincent Young was to Mack Brown.

But, good Lord, just about anything would be better than what we've had this last season.

Two things that are immediate positives for me. DeLoach coached a North Texas defense that never gave up against LSU. And DeLoach knows the "culture" here at North Texas, so there won't be any "getting to know us" distractions for him.

In other words, he'll hit the ground running, if he's hired.

Two things that are immediate positives for me. DeLoach coached a North Texas defense that never gave up against LSU. And DeLoach knows the "culture" here at North Texas, so there won't be any "getting to know us" distractions for him.

In other words, he'll hit the ground running, if he's hired.

Absolutely agree with you here.

Why would he want to go back to NT if he probably makes more money at UCLA and the prestige of a winning team that has been to bowl games recently?

somebody else already mentioned he made $130K at UCLA and he apparently is not being retained by UCLA, so why would he not come home if offered? :huh:

We might have to increase some ticket prices to be able to pay him enough to come here, but I am for it.

Not likely. Our head coach's base salary ($185,000) and guaranteed extras are a total of only $265,000 a year. That's less than the base salaries of A&M's new offensive and defensive coordinators, reported at more than $300,000 each. Reports that DeLoach was making $130,000 as an assistant in hyperexpensive LA suggest that hiring him at UNT would not take a huge chunk. So I don't think money is much of an obstacle.

I can't say enough about how much I loved DeLoach. Not just as a player but as a person. He really cared about the players that he coached and it showed on the field and off. I knew nothing about the defensive backfield when I was moved from running back. I must admit I was lost. DeLoach comes in that spring with Dickey. I go into fall two a days as the 5th cornerback. In two weeks i'm starting against Oklahoma. I give DeLoach alot of credit for that. I was so excited for him when he got the UCLA job. If he comes back I will be even more excited for the Mean Green!

I can't say enough about how much I loved DeLoach. Not just as a player but as a person. He really cared about the players that he coached and it showed on the field and off. I knew nothing about the defensive backfield when I was moved from running back. I must admit I was lost. DeLoach comes in that spring with Dickey. I go into fall two a days as the 5th cornerback. In two weeks i'm starting against Oklahoma. I give DeLoach alot of credit for that. I was so excited for him when he got the UCLA job. If he comes back I will be even more excited for the Mean Green!

Well said from a man that can speak from the heart and knows first hand.

If one of his guys vouches for him, then I want DeLoach, too. I mean, not that I don't want him hired anyways.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Why would he want to go back to NT if he probably makes more money at UCLA and the prestige of a winning team that has been to bowl games recently?

My apologies for steering you wrong. I had read that he made $300K at UCLA but as it turned out that was the salary of the defensive coordinator.

There has been no indication either way as to whom Neuheusel will retain. If he were left out in the cold, then it would be smart to take the promotion with likely some increase over what he was making and a reduced cost of living.

DeLoach says that he liked it here and I'm inclined to believe that Dodge will give him a lot of latitude to do what he thinks is necessary to correct the situation. It could be win/win for both and I know of no better candidate.

Ramone,

Would you ever consider coming back to North Texas as a coach? It sounds like you have a very solid relationship with DeLoach and with most of the championship players graduated - it would be nice to have someone in the locker room talk about how the Green Curtain was such a dominating force back in the 2002 run. Sometimes inspirational stories do just that - inspire players to play above their natural ability. I really appreciate how you have become involved as a fan... I think that you would be an asset to the coaching staff. Just my $.02.

Steve Boedeker

Fan of the Mean Green since 1993, Even Bigger Fan of Ramone Archie since he started sharing his thoughts on GoMeanGreen.com :)

I'd just like to take a moment to point something out...

Brett Vito broke this interview story. Not the FWST.

Y'know, just for anyone who had been questioning why the FWST keeps getting info he doesn't or criticizing the guy's journalism abilities.

When he doesn't have to depend on NT athletics confirmation or feedback... Vito is still the best and fastest source for Mean Green news. He got a hold of DeLoach and confirmed the interview. Props to Vito, and hallelujah and hooray for the potential return of Gary DeLoach.

Ramone,

Would you ever consider coming back to North Texas as a coach? It sounds like you have a very solid relationship with DeLoach and with most of the championship players graduated - it would be nice to have someone in the locker room talk about how the Green Curtain was such a dominating force back in the 2002 run. Sometimes inspirational stories do just that - inspire players to play above their natural ability. I really appreciate how you have become involved as a fan... I think that you would be an asset to the coaching staff. Just my $.02.

Steve Boedeker

Fan of the Mean Green since 1993, Even Bigger Fan of Ramone Archie since he started sharing his thoughts on GoMeanGreen.com :)

I love North Texas. What else can I say?

I'd just like to take a moment to point something out...

Brett Vito broke this interview story. Not the FWST.

Y'know, just for anyone who had been questioning why the FWST keeps getting info he doesn't or criticizing the guy's journalism abilities.

When he doesn't have to depend on NT athletics confirmation or feedback... Vito is still the best and fastest source for Mean Green news. He got a hold of DeLoach and confirmed the interview. Props to Vito, and hallelujah and hooray for the potential return of Gary DeLoach.

Vito is a good journalist and breaking this story took hustle. But he still did not get cooperation from Dodge or UNT on the story (which was the point of my earlier post). Vito even had to use the statement Dodge released to the public through meangreensports.com for a quote from the coach. Vito covers the beat harder than the FWST writer, which is why it is unfair that Dodge tries to sabotage him by leaking the news he wants to get out through the FWST and excluding Belo.

Vito is a good journalist and breaking this story took hustle. But he still did not get cooperation from Dodge or UNT on the story (which was the point of my earlier post). Vito even had to use the statement Dodge released to the public through meangreensports.com for a quote from the coach. Vito covers the beat harder than the FWST writer, which is why it is unfair that Dodge tries to sabotage him by leaking the news he wants to get out through the FWST and excluding Belo.

I disagree about cooperation from Dodge. Vito may have to do a little research but good reporters will do that. He did, and it paid off for him with the story. It may be a situation where Dodge can't comment on the candidates because of confidentiality clauses or job posting requirements, whatever. All I know is fans wanted Mendoza gone, and DeLoach considered for the position and Dodge is doing those things for us and the program. Now about that stadium..... :o