# North Texas Kara Brooks F TX D'Feeters

# North Texas Hannah Crawford D TX Challenge

# North Texas Shannon Gorrie D TX Rowlett HS Dallas Texans

# North Texas Julie Lackey D TX Challenge

# North Texas Casey Lerond F TX Dallas Texans

# North Texas Kelsey Perlman F Allen TX Allen HS Sting

# North Texas Jessica Price D TX Legacy Christian Acad Dallas Texans

# North Texas Rachel Turpin F/M TX Challenge

I can tell you this, the Lake Highlands Club Soccer league is the best in Texas. I know that the DeFeeters,Sting and the Texans are superb programs that are part of that league. I love that we are recruiting in our own backyard because it has some outstanding talent.

Looks like the start of a strong class to me. When you rate girl's programs in the North Texas area these days, do not overlook the Texans. They seem to be moving into the elite catagory as the Sting, D'Feters, etc. have been for some time. Coach Hedlund continues to do a good job recruiting "local" talent. I anticipate the the Mean Green will return to the top of the Belt in '08...Do I see an NCAA bid in the works...we'll just have to see about that, but the possibility does exist with the returners and the nice recruiting class...a freshman can make a difference.

GO MEAN GREEN...GO SOCCER!!!!!

Looks like the start of a strong class to me. When you rate girl's programs in the North Texas area these days, do not overlook the Texans. They seem to be moving into the elite catagory as the Sting, D'Feters, etc. have been for some time. Coach Hedlund continues to do a good job recruiting "local" talent. I anticipate the the Mean Green will return to the top of the Belt in '08...Do I see an NCAA bid in the works...we'll just have to see about that, but the possibility does exist with the returners and the nice recruiting class...a freshman can make a difference.

GO MEAN GREEN...GO SOCCER!!!!!

Hedlund is an outstanding recruiter...but I'll play devils advocate here and ask how good of a coach is he? When I was in school I was very close to the soccer program and thought that the talent level was exceptional, but yet the team always seemed to under-achieve, and he was extremely unpopular with the girls. Heres another strong incoming class...I hope for the best with the program...but I just question Hedlund's ability to turn talent into wins

Interesting...but if he continues to bring in good local talent...just how unpopular with the players can he be? I agree that it seems we should have gone a bit further in the NCAA's with the talent we have had over the last few years...but, that's also what they are saying at A&M and "G" has taken that team to the NCAA's on a very consisant basis...he just hasn't won it all as yet. I guess it's all a matter of perspective, but I think we definitely should be going deeper into the NCAA playoffs with the talent we have had, do have and will have...

GO MEAN GREEN SOCCER! :clapping:

Interesting...but if he continues to bring in good local talent...just how unpopular with the players can he be? I agree that it seems we should have gone a bit further in the NCAA's with the talent we have had over the last few years...but, that's also what they are saying at A&M and "G" has taken that team to the NCAA's on a very consisant basis...he just hasn't won it all as yet. I guess it's all a matter of perspective, but I think we definitely should be going deeper into the NCAA playoffs with the talent we have had, do have and will have...

GO MEAN GREEN SOCCER! :clapping:

Agreed...and it was probably around 03-04 or so when I was around the program. Of course I want the best for the soccer program and if Hedlund keeps bringing in this type of talent then eventually it may be able to play through poor coaching, if there is any.

Ok from one soccer nut to another, can we please bring back the men's program!

On the women's soccer program, Hedlund is probably the last coach up here I would questioned......I mean, has their been a more successful coach here at NT in the last ten years, if so I would love to know who that might be.

Let's go to his bio- 13 consecutive winning seasons with an overall record of 181-72-13, winning over 70% of his games. Several conference titles, few NCAA appearances, gets his teams to the conference title game every year, nine seasons ranked in the top ten of the central region and Hedlund is ranked 16th nationally in career winning percentage among active Div. I coaches.

After reading his bio on the NT website and all of his accomplishments over the years, I would say were very lucky to have JH at North Texas.

Now lets bring back men's soccer so we can have two very successful programs.

I'll take baseball before soccer. I have nothing against soccer, it's just that baseball would provide more publicity and notoriety

for the University. It also is one of the major sports you need to have at your University. Just my take on the situation.

I'll take baseball before soccer. I have nothing against soccer, it's just that baseball would provide more publicity and notoriety

for the University. It also is one of the major sports you need to have at your University. Just my take on the situation.

Right there with you. Plus, there are many more universities in close proximity to North Texas that also play baseball.

I hated that the men's soccer team was eliminated for Title IX considering how successful they were, but who in the Metroplex, or Texas for that matter, still fields a men's soccer team?

Well SMU still fields a nationally ranked program. As a matter of fact, they were #1 in the nation at some point in time this season

Right there with you. Plus, there are many more universities in close proximity to North Texas that also play baseball.

I hated that the men's soccer team was eliminated for Title IX considering how successful they were, but who in the Metroplex, or Texas for that matter, still fields a men's soccer team?

[/quote

I think EVERYONE knows my stance on the men's soccer vs. baseball thing...I am for men's soccer 100% before baseball...baseball is way more expensive then men's soccer...even with the travel...when you consider travel for both teams, facilities...we have a soccer facility that will work just fine....number of players per team (scholarship money), uniforms and equipment...soccer is less...and that does not even mention that soccer is a much more "fan friendly" game...more action, less time...etc., etc.

Wecould play SMU, Tulsa, New Mexico, UTEP, Centary, St. Louis, Creighten...I THINK all these schools have D-1 men's programs....anyway, i do think we could find an adequate schedule.

So...yes to men's soccer...no to men's baseball...IF I have to choose between the two. Both would be O.K.... we could add women's crew and lacrosse??????

GO MEAN GREEN!

And, yes, I agree that JH has done a very nice job and is one of our most successful coaches in the last decade or so!

I think EVERYONE knows my stance on the men's soccer vs. baseball thing...I am for men's soccer 100% before baseball...baseball is way more expensive then men's soccer...even with the travel...when you consider travel for both teams, facilities...we have a soccer facility that will work just fine....number of players per team (scholarship money), uniforms and equipment...soccer is less...and that does not even mention that soccer is a much more "fan friendly" game...more action, less time...etc., etc.

Wecould play SMU, Tulsa, New Mexico, UTEP, Centary, St. Louis, Creighten...I THINK all these schools have D-1 men's programs....anyway, i do think we could find an adequate schedule.

So...yes to men's soccer...no to men's baseball...IF I have to choose between the two. Both would be O.K.... we could add women's crew and lacrosse??????

GO MEAN GREEN!

And, yes, I agree that JH has done a very nice job and is one of our most successful coaches in the last decade or so!

UTEP does not have soccer nor baseball.

A sad irony, considering the talent level their local culture offers to both sports.

Mens soccer would be a instant success, probably nationally ranked right from the start. NT has very few sports that win now.......womens soccer, mens basketball (although it does not look good being 3-5 in conference play). Outside of these two sports, what does NT really have to brag about.

Would baseball win? or is this just another losing sport to throw on the pile.

Greenminer...sorry about the UTEP thing...you are, of course, 100% correct. But, never the less...there would be more than enough men's programs close enough to get games for a men's soccer team. Besides, if we stepped up...other near by universities might just do the same. Still do not get the attraction for men's baseball before men's soccer....even the sports "rich guys" in the US are beginning to buy English Premier League teams...that says something about the impact here in the states and where the whole soccer thing might be going over time...No, it will never rival the big three here of football, basketball and alas baseball on the pro level, but it is moving forward. The soccer specific stadiums are a big hit and they are filkling up with "rears in the seats"...oh, well, I sound like a personal broken record.

I still say...BRING BACK MEN'S SOCCER! It will be a winning program at UNT and it will win soon after re-start!

GO MEAN GREEN!

NT soccer commits per Soccer Buzz website

2008 Recruits By School

New College First Name Last Name Pos Hometown St/Ctry HS/Prev College Tr Club

# North Texas Kara Brooks F TX D'Feeters

# North Texas Hannah Crawford D TX Challenge

# North Texas Shannon Gorrie D TX Rowlett HS Dallas Texans

# North Texas Julie Lackey D TX Challenge

# North Texas Casey Lerond F TX Dallas Texans

# North Texas Kelsey Perlman F Allen TX Allen HS Sting

# North Texas Jessica Price D TX Legacy Christian Acad Dallas Texans

# North Texas Rachel Turpin F/M TX Challenge

Been away from Board for a while.....self imposed GMG de-tox, Thanks GG for carrying the torch on the updates....Regarding the a few posts in this thread. There was a question about how this class ranks- probably one of the best ever, player for player. They are all well respected club players, all are from nationally ranked club teams. Brooks is leading the area for Girls 5A as of right now in high school season. Saw all of these players play during the recruiting year in local tourneys and leagues, including the Challenge girls from Houston. All are capable of starting, so the depth with returning players is huge, and competition for play should be tough. Got a lot of offense to fill with Slavonik and Hutyra graduating. All recruits are very capable scorers and defensive players, and come from strong team-oriented backgrounds.

Question on class recruit ranking- Buzz Soccer (you know how I feel) will post a ranking nationally and by Region. We should rank very high in the region.

Lundsford will be back from knee injury this spring, as will Wicker, so defense gets a boost. Also hoping Lackore will be back in August as planned.

New development, Juett is scheduled for minor arthro on her knee this week which is a big concern, but is expected to still possibly play this spring if all goes well.

Regarding JH, have heard all of that and more...... Team chemistry has also been issue, which does not really have to do with coach per se ....we do need to win the conference AND the tournament this year, anything less with this talent will be underachievement. We need to get beyond settling for being just a conference favorite every year, and begin to be looked upon as a perenial NCAA qualifier, starting this year. Denver or WKU or Muts should not prevail !!

Did you see the signings for soccer in the paper? Looked like another VERY good class that actually signed with the Mean Green this week. Way to go Coach H...now, let's win the "Belt and head to the NCAA's. I think you have the talent to get it done!

I don't spend much time here since my daughter finished at UNT. Still, I was here looking over the reaction to the football recruits and wondered what the reaction to the soccer recruits would be. Frankly, I think this is the best looking class since the class of '02 and I think it's the largest. That class won 2 Sunbelt championships and an NCAA bid. I think this one might go further.

Looking at Hedlund as a coach, I first have to say he's a HEAD COACH. He does have assistance who teach and run parts of the program. You only have to look at his record to see how successful he is and that answers questions about his level of coaching. Do I think there are better coaches out there... sure. Do I like his style of coaching? No, but it is very effective.

It is also one of the reasons that UNT has trouble in post season play. We play and continue to play on a small soccer field. It puts visiting teams at a disadvantage, but it's a two edged sword. When we goto the playoffs, we're always on a bigger field and it makes it tougher on us than it should. John's play style is also geared to the field size and it does lose something when we play a good team like a UT on their very large field.

In the best of all worlds we'd have two fields to practice upon and that would probably help the program. Good Luck. Now, about his "popularity" among players. I think you'll find that those who he wants to keep like him. This is a very tough sport, and coaching girls takes a special talent. It ain't like coaching boys. Plus even though girls develop faster than boys, it's a crap shoot about which recruits will make it as college players. John was able to carry a number of girls who weren't starters until their junior or even senior year and that takes talent and popularity. Many of those girls are only getting about a 30% scholarship and if they're serious students that's not much in return for what they have to spend on their sport.

So bottom line, I think that JH is very popular with the girls he thinks he wants to keep, and I think he's one of the best coaches UNT could or will get. Now, if he could just beat Denver in the tourney....

Why in the world isn't there a standard size for soccer fields?

FIFA Rules allow for Min/Max dimensions, depending on the type of competition.

Dimensions

The fi eld of play must be rectangular. The length of the touch line must

be greater than the length of the goal line.

Length: minimum 90 m (100 yds)

maximum 120 m (130 yds)

Width: minimum 45 m (50 yds)

maximum 90 m (100 yds)

International Matches

Length: minimum 100 m (110 yds)

maximum 110 m (120 yds)

Width: minimum 64 m (70 yds)

maximum 75 m (80 yds)

We are at 115 x 72 I believe, closer to international dims.,well withing the avg size of most complex footprints. While a little short than the max allows, the biggest disadvantage is in the width where play can be expanded wide and spread the field. Looking at the field, there is little room to have widened the field much more on either side. No way we could have gone 100 wide as allowed in the standard FIFA dims.

All that being said, home field size vs. playing style has treated us well in past few years.

Another note. Rumour is the '91's (UNT freshmen fall 2009) orals are basically complete, and the talent is equally as impressive as this year's 2008 freshmen. On a roll with the recruiting and talent. Need to win out.

FIFA Rules allow for Min/Max dimensions, depending on the type of competition.

Dimensions

The fi eld of play must be rectangular. The length of the touch line must

be greater than the length of the goal line.

Length: minimum 90 m (100 yds)

maximum 120 m (130 yds)

Width: minimum 45 m (50 yds)

maximum 90 m (100 yds)

International Matches

Length: minimum 100 m (110 yds)

maximum 110 m (120 yds)

Width: minimum 64 m (70 yds)

maximum 75 m (80 yds)

We are at 115 x 72 I believe, closer to international dims.,well withing the avg size of most complex footprints. While a little short than the max allows, the biggest disadvantage is in the width where play can be expanded wide and spread the field. Looking at the field, there is little room to have widened the field much more on either side. No way we could have gone 100 wide as allowed in the standard FIFA dims.

All that being said, home field size vs. playing style has treated us well in past few years.

Another note. Rumour is the '91's (UNT freshmen fall 2009) orals are basically complete, and the talent is equally as impressive as this year's 2008 freshmen. On a roll with the recruiting and talent. Need to win out.

NCAA rules on fields below. We are still under max allowable per Section 1B. We are at the very minimum for "new facilities"

Dimensions

SECTION 1. a. The field of play shall be rectangular, the width of which

shall not exceed the length.

b. The width shall not be more than 80 yards [73.15m] nor less than

65 yards [59.44m] and the length shall not be more than 120 yards

[109.73m] nor less than 110 yards [100.58m]; however, fields of less

than minimal dimensions may be used by prior written mutual consent

of the competing institutions. The optimum size is 75 yards [68.58m] by

120 yards [109.73m].

New facilities shall be a minimum of 70 yards [64.01m] in width by 115

yards [105.15m] in length.

Still allows a lot of variance and contributes to the "wheels off" nature of the sport. Let's see, football, basketball, volleyball all have exact dimensions for the playing surface, yet soccer, well, just make sure it is somewhere in between these benchmarks. Doesn't make sense to me.

Lifer...lots of things don't make sense. Like why anyone would support Hillary Clinton for President, but that's another subject for another time and place. I am sure there is an answer for the "playing field" size question somewhere in the history of the game, but it is interesting and it does add to the "flavor" of the game...better learn to play on all sizes of fields...UNT has struggled on the larger fields...the better question might be, how can UNT overcome that issue? JH needs to find a way or the team will continue to be hurt on the larger fields.

For me...it makes the game even that much more interesting. For some, who can't see the beauty in the game, well...why even get into that discussion?