2008 Soccer Commits

GrandGreen

Lifer...lots of things don't make sense. Like why anyone would support Hillary Clinton for President, but that's another subject for another time and place. I am sure there is an answer for the "playing field" size question somewhere in the history of the game, but it is interesting and it does add to the "flavor" of the game...better learn to play on all sizes of fields...UNT has struggled on the larger fields...the better question might be, how can UNT overcome that issue? JH needs to find a way or the team will continue to be hurt on the larger fields.

Just did some research:

The largest field anyone can play on is 120 X 80. (120 yrds length - 80 yrds width) The NCAA will not let you play on a bigger field then 120 X 80.... period.

Research time: 2004 North Texas won the Sunbelt Conference Championship on FIU'S field which is 120 X 80.

2005 North Texas won the Sunbelt Conference Championship on South Alabama's field which is 120 X 80.

*Now what were we saying that NT cannot win on a big field..............facts are always great.

For some, who can't see the beauty in the game, well...why even get into that discussion?

Good post until here. Why even take a shot when I was asking a serious question. I really don't hate soccer, I just respond the way I do because of your comments regarding baseball, a sport I played for 18 years.

Yea, I played baseball for 18 years too....I actually love to play the game...played some rec baseball (and rec softball) after HS and in the service for several years too...I just can't stand to watch the game...But, let's be honest here...if UNT had a team, I'd be out there watching...at least for a few innings.

Greenminer...sorry about the UTEP thing...you are, of course, 100% correct. But, never the less...there would be more than enough men's programs close enough to get games for a men's soccer team. Besides, if we stepped up...other near by universities might just do the same. Still do not get the attraction for men's baseball before men's soccer....even the sports "rich guys" in the US are beginning to buy English Premier League teams...that says something about the impact here in the states and where the whole soccer thing might be going over time...No, it will never rival the big three here of football, basketball and alas baseball on the pro level, but it is moving forward. The soccer specific stadiums are a big hit and they are filkling up with "rears in the seats"...oh, well, I sound like a personal broken record.

I still say...BRING BACK MEN'S SOCCER! It will be a winning program at UNT and it will win soon after re-start!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Pretty much one or the other. If baseball is back, then mens soccer will be pretty much a done deal. We had a lengthy discussion last year in threads related to Title IX challenges those two additions would bring.