Todd Dodge's Holy War On Brett Vito

MeanGreenZen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brett is, essentially our beat reporter for both the D-RC and the DMN. (Not all of his stuff that is printed in the D-RC, makes it to the DMN, but that's not his fault).

I think, if we're trying to build a new stadium.....IT BEHOOVES US, to have a good relationship with the press. UNT, which I think had (on average) about 12,500 empty seats at home football games this season....really isn't in the position to hold grudges...or to be arrogant.

And speaking of building a new stadium....I seem to remember Brett writing a great 3-part series on the history of Fouts ....and our hopes for a new stadium. (That was in both the D-RC and the DMN.....back in August or so, as I recall).

One more thought: Maybe the Goldfields don't even read the FWST. So, it's good to cover ALL OUR BASES.

Speaking of covering..........how about your avatar ? Got a sack or paper bag ? :rolleyes:

Guest GrayEagleOne

I don't know what you guys are thinking but Belo owns the Dallas Morning News AND the Denton Record-Chronicle. Do you want to tlell me that the Star-Telegram has more circulation than those two combined? No way. The DMN and the DRC combined have a circulation of about 675,000; the FWST about half of that.

Vito is a Belo employee and his DRC articles are used in the Morning News, thereby saving a duplicate cost. The Vito's Belo blog is almost exclusively about UNT whereas the Startlegram"s Insider is more diverse.

What should be done is that each should be given a story at the same time. Include the Herald-Democrat, Daily Register, or anyone else that wants to send a writer. Have Capper (or his staff) give a press release or allow a press conference with Coach Dodge.

At least we have a good contingent of fans who will post from information gathered from either paper regardless of whether it appeals online and regardless of which paper breaks the story.

First, that's the reason why I mentioned in my first sentence that I don't know the full story of Vito's relationship with the athletic department as a whole (not just TD). Their relationship was "rocky" before TD even got there. Second, the "editor's decision" of a front page article was "promised", whether or not it is followed through upon by the DRC is another story. However, if you were the subject of the original article, had to defend your character on a local and national scale, and there has been no action since, it would tend to leave a bad taste in your mouth. This was not "x's and o's" bashing, this was a racism charge that never goes away.

Ok, so how many other papers printed a front page article when the results of the investigation came out? Like many on this board, I don't get the paper version, but rather, read the links posted to the DRC and DMN.

I know that it's not X' and O's bashing, it's about public relations. At best, North Texas is pretty lightly regarded by most of the press in Texas (and the rest of the United States as well) and we can ill afford to treat our local press badly.....unless the University is planning to pull up stakes and move to Fort Worth.....or Southlake.

The implication here, if I'm clear, is that UNT just "gave away" Mendoza to the FWST while Vito was out of town. Is this fact, or just DRC/DMN sour grapes? Does anyone have proof? If so, then those critical of Dodge might have a point. If not, then we're probably barking up a tree without the knowledge to piss on it.

Not sure that metaphor hit the mark, so to speak.

This thread is dumb.

Criticizing Dodge for not giving Vito the first shot at breaking news is about the lamest thing I have ever, EVER heard.

Do you think it is in UNT's best interest to get media exposure? When Dodge freezes out Vito it pisses off The Dallas Morning News editors. Those editors help determine how many and what stories are written about UNT football and where those stories are placed in the paper and on the website. So if it is lame to worry about the media exposure of our football team then consider me lame.

This thread is dumb.

Criticizing Dodge for not giving Vito the first shot at breaking news is about the lamest thing I have ever, EVER heard.

You must not have read the original post. I am criticizing Dodge for NOT giving Vito an EQUAL shot at breaking news. Handling the media is a big part of the CEO of our football team's job. Guys like Mack Brown and Bob Stoops are loved by their local media and they are masters at handling them. I am a big fan of Dodge, but he is not beyond criticism. He is really screwing himself and the program by making enemies at The Dallas Morning News/Belo.

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

Except Vito writes for the Denton Record-Chronicle not the DMN, I know they are related but Vito's stuff is rarely in the DMN.

All NT sports news in the DMN comes directly from Vito or clips of a Vito story. His stories will post on the DMN website before the DRC website at night. They have no other dedicated media person for UNT. I'm sure Brett does what he can with the contacts he has but sometimes I think he gets left out of the info loop, for whatever reason. I also think Phillips does a good job with his NT stories for the FW paper, sometimes just the wording or details strike me as more in-depth reporting.

The implication here, if I'm clear, is that UNT just "gave away" Mendoza to the FWST while Vito was out of town. Is this fact, or just DRC/DMN sour grapes? Does anyone have proof? If so, then those critical of Dodge might have a point. If not, then we're probably barking up a tree without the knowledge to piss on it.

My guess: The timing of Mendoza's dismissal was to put the story during the New Year's holiday when it will get less attention, not to shaft Vito.

Troy Phillips of the FWST did recently write that source greaser about Mendoza a month or two ago, so if Dodge or RV were looking for a friendly reporter he'd be more likely to get that call.

Any effort to intentionally screw the DRC would, by extension, be taking on the entire Belo chain -- the DRC, DMN, Channel 8 news and that 24-hour Texas news cable channel they run. Surely UNT is not that foolish.

Edited by rcade

The news business is about gettting the story... everyone wants to break a story it's up to the orginizations to do it. You don't sit around waiting for a story to come to you... you go out and get the story. If your not on it then it's your fault you missed the story. If vitto was out of town someone else should have been there to get the story. IMHO.

The news business is about gettting the story... everyone wants to break a story it's up to the orginizations to do it. You don't sit around waiting for a story to come to you... you go out and get the story. If your not on it then it's your fault you missed the story. If vitto was out of town someone else should have been there to get the story. IMHO.

Good point. I'm glad the DRC/DMN got leftovers in the breaking story. They need more than one reporter covering NT sports for both papers; perhaps move one of the four they have covering the Big?12 which has no team in the DFW area. :P

On one had, I don't think there is a vendetta against Vito.

On the other, I do think a head coaches job now includes appropriate handling of the media.

There are a lot of seats empty every Saturday, a gushing press would probably help draw people.

This is especially true for North Texas.......... and has been for decades. Hayden Fry understood that. As did Corky Nelson, Dennis Parker and to a certain extent Matt Simon. Jerry Moore and Bob Tyler I'm not too sure about. DD was receptive to the press, but he never sought them out.

Of course, seeking out the press is officially the job of the SID, as well as the AD. But at North Texas (because of our unique culture) it's really everyone's job.