Kenny Evans

flyeater

Is that formerly known as North East Oklahoma State, source of former Mean Green transfer greats Michael Pruitt and Kevin Galbraith?

No, those guys went to Northeastern Oklahoma A&M, a junior college in Miami, Oklahoma. Northeastern State University is a four-year college in Tahlequah, capital if the Cherokee Nation.

How can this be? Last year, Rick Villareal's internet flunkie followed my posts accusing me of being Kenny Evans bitter at Darrell Dickey's firing? So, maybe now Rick Villareal and his internet toadie will be convinced that I'm not Kenny Evans. Paranoid morons.

So do did you like your stay in Ruston?

:D

Congrats to Coach Evans....he's a great coach and a great person. He's recruited and coached some great talent such as Rod Smith with the Denver broncos who he recruited and coached at Missouri Southern. I live about 30 miles from NSU and look foward to watching him make NSU a DII power house.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Kenny was indeed one of the good guys. He was easy to talk to and a great recruiter. I don't know about his overall coaching talent but he put out some great linebackers. He'll have talent as good as anyone in his league when he's on equal footing. I truly wish him well.

Mean Green DRC Blog.

December 7, 2007

Thoughts on Evans landing in the Lone Star Conference

I talked to Kenny Evans this morning, a day after it was announced that he would take over as the head coach at Northeastern State in Oklahoma. Evans was thrilled to get his chance to become a head coach after stints as an assistant at various schools, including North Texas and Louisiana Tech.

Evans said former UNT head coach Darrell Dickey played a key role in helping him land the job.

It should be a good move for Northeastern, a member of the Division II Lone Star Conference. Evans is a graduate of the school, has always been a great recruiter and knows the Lone Star well.

Evans said he would use his contacts to recruit the Dallas-Fort Worth area, where he should be able to land several impact players on the Division II level. Don't be surprised if a few former UNT student assistants or players end up on his staff. Evans said he couldn't talk about who might end up following him to Northeastern yet.

This is just a random guess, but former UNT great Chris Hurd seems like he would be a great fit as a linebackers coach.

Seeing Evans land in the Lone Star is also interesting because it added another coach to the rapidly growing contingent of former UNT assistants who have become head coaches in the league. Former UNT defensive backs coach Sam McElroy is the head coach at Tarleton State, while former UNT assistant basketball coach Fred Rike is now the head coach at Angelo State.

McElroy was just named the Lone Star Conference South Division Co-Coach of the Year, while Rike appears to be turning around a program that was in shambles when he arrived at ASU.

McElroy's Texans finished 9-2 this season with its only losses coming against nationally ranked Abilene Christian and West Texas A&M.

Rike's Rams improved to 4-2 on the season last night with its first-ever win over Southeastern Oklahoma State at Bloomer Sullivan Gym, the Savage Storm's home court. The Rams only won eight games and went 0-12 in league play two years ago before Rike took over. The Rams won nine games, including four in league play, last season. It was a modest jump for Rike, who appears as if he might have ASU headed for a breakout season this year.

I never dealt with McElroy much, but Rike and Evans are two of the best people to come through UNT in the last couple of years. It's nice to see Evans get his shot to be a head coach. I would be surprised if he didn't have Northeastern rolling in a couple of years.

The following is a link to NSU's press release on Evans:

http://www.nsuoksports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...;ATCLID=1349270