What's The Point In Disputing The Coaching Decisions?

meangreendork

Normally, I'd have no problems with coaching talk, especially after we saw what happened with Dickey and we all knew that he'd be gone and we knew that there was also a series of candidates for the HC position. But right now, we have a pretty good lock that Mendoza isn't going anywhere. Despite how unhappy I am with his team's performance, he's not going anywhere. And for the HC committee thread that came up recently, we also know that Dodge isn't going anywhere, simply because it'd result in a lot of red tape and more talks that I'm pretty sure RV and Dr. B. don't want to get into right now. Furthermore, Dodge's hiring has already brought on extra donors, media attention, and recruits we didn't have when we had Dickey.

So, skip the coaching talk. We know Mendoza will be here, so let's try to get behind him and hope it all works out and our hopes aren't wasted.

Unless you somehow have an ear at HC or AD offices.

Furthermore, Dodge's hiring has already brought on extra donors, media attention, and recruits we didn't have when we had Dickey.

The question is, will the extra donors, increase in MG Club membership, media attention, etc., continue after what we had this year? And I am specifically referring to the games that slipped away due to our ineptitude on defense, and the fact that the man behind that defense may still be with us next season.

The question is, will the extra donors, increase in MG Club membership, media attention, etc., continue after what we had this year? And I am specifically referring to the games that slipped away due to our ineptitude on defense, and the fact that the man behind that defense may still be with us next season.

Sure they will, most people thought we sucked to begin with and know that it takes time to build a program.

I think we will see that big announcement shortly and that will make most forget about the defense.

If people hold back their donations for those reason then they are part of the problem and not the solution. That type of logic only adds to the stigma of a down on their luck program.

I think we will see that big announcement shortly and that will make most forget about the defense.

Seems that we have more announcements of big announcements than any school on the planet. Next we'll be waiting for the big announcement of the announcement of the BIG announcement. :blink:

Edited by MeanGreen61

Seems that we have more announcements of big announcements than any school on the planet. Next we'll be waiting for the big announcement of the announcement of the BIG announcement. :blink:

Maybe.

I heard there was announcement but they (AD) were not ready to make yet, I have no idea what it is. Maybe it is the announcement of a big announcement of an announcement for an announcement.

Needless to say at some point there will be a Stadium announcement of some sort and one day there will be a conference move announcement of some sort those have to happen, the only question is when.

Maybe.

I heard there was announcement but they (AD) were not ready to make yet, I have no idea what it is. Maybe it is the announcement of a big announcement of an announcement for an announcement.

Needless to say at some point there will be a Stadium announcement of some sort and one day there will be a conference move announcement of some sort those have to happen, the only question is when.

We have a new stadium coming to a Mean Green Village near you sooner than later I am gathering then? And new conference? What is even an option besides the WAC (who offered us a spot a few years ago)?

Tony, give me a call later today if you can (it's almost 2:00 AM now) and I (basically) woke up to turn this computer off when I saw this thread. :rolleyes:

Jim

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Normally, I'd have no problems with coaching talk, especially after we saw what happened with Dickey and we all knew that he'd be gone and we knew that there was also a series of candidates for the HC position. But right now, we have a pretty good lock that Mendoza isn't going anywhere.

Under that logic, Les Miles is taking over in Michigan and Nick Saban's still the head coach of the Miami Dolphins. Calling it a lock that Mendoza will stay, even before North Texas has time to do any post-season evaluation, seems premature to me. (I do think chances are strong that Dodge keeps his word and retains him.)

Under that logic, Les Miles is taking over in Michigan and Nick Saban's still the head coach of the Miami Dolphins. Calling it a lock that Mendoza will stay, even before North Texas has time to do any post-season evaluation, seems premature to me. (I do think chances are strong that Dodge keeps his word and retains him.)

Dude, he ain't going anywhere. Dodge is going to captain this ship, sinking or sailing. Unfortunately.

As soon as we see the final list of our recruiting class all this pessimism will be replaced by unbridled optimism, we are all jsut hurting a little bit right now. We will get over it and be excited about next year very soon

It will be hard to have "unbridled optimism" or really be excited until the defensive problems are somehow resolved.

We've already seen how a coordinator can take down the head honcho (i.e. Dickey-Flanigan). Flanigan brought Dickey down with him and I would hate for the same to happen to Todd Dodge. But this is why he gets paid the big bucks (sort of). If he is confident that Mendoza is the right man for the position so be it. However, it is a decision that Dodge will have to live with.

We've already seen how a coordinator can take down the head honcho (i.e. Dickey-Flanigan). Flanigan brought Dickey down with him and I would hate for the same to happen to Todd Dodge. But this is why he gets paid the big bucks (sort of). If he is confident that Mendoza is the right man for the position so be it. However, it is a decision that Dodge will have to live with.

Don't kid yourself that was Dickey's offense, see Utah State.

Don't kid yourself that was Dickey's offense, see Utah State.

I agree to an extent. However, I was referreing to Flanigan's overall personality. He simply was not a good coach and seemed to not have grip on things. You have to remeber, his main resposiblity was the quarterbacks and look at how that situation progressively got worse over the years (i.e Byerly not staying involved in school and Meager's lack of development). And it was my understanding that Flanigan had full reign on the play calling the last two or three years he was here. Overall, Dickey was good coach and did great things for the program. At least we knew how to play defense while he was here.

I agree to an extent. However, I was referreing to Flanigan's overall personality. He simply was not a good coach and seemed to not have grip on things. You have to remeber, his main resposiblity was the quarterbacks and look at how that situation progressively got worse over the years (i.e Byerly not staying involved in school and Meager's lack of development). And it was my understanding that Flanigan had full reign on the play calling the last two or three years he was here. Overall, Dickey was good coach and did great things for the program. At least we knew how to play defense while he was here.

Losing the class of 1999 to graduation and Gary DeLoach to UCLA had the most to do with the decline. I will always have a hard time believing that RF was ever fully in charge of our offense because we ran very much the same style of offense and in fact called the very same type of offense etc in 2006 as we did in 1998. Very little changed in my oppinion. When our top 10 defense declined that's when we stopped dominating people in the Belt and couldn't make a showing against the better money teams.

I don't think people here truly understand how damn good our 2002 defense was. It was as if we rellished the idea of giving teams the ball all day to simply see if they could move it on us. It was an amazing thing to see and I'll never forget it.

In 2002's opening game our defense held tU's Cedric Benson to 49 yards on 18 carries and overall as a team held the Longhorns to 28 net rushing yards after sacks. Texas finished the season 11-2. A couple of weeks later despite turnovers on their end of the field the defense held a 10-3 Alabama squad to 19 first half points and 315 total yards for the game in a 33-7 loss. The next week the defense held a 10-2 TCU squad to a 3-3 halftime tie and 178 total yards in a 16-10 loss. READ THAT AGAIN....HELD A 10-2 TCU SQUAD TO 178 TOTAL YARDS IN THEIR HOUSE?????:blink::o:blink: Later on in Sunbelt play we held ULL scorless in a 27-0 win. I can't find the stats for that game but the writeup say's ULL only had 3 scoring chances the entire game which was played in Lafayette.

That's the kind of defense we had when Gary DeLoach was running that side of the LOS. Can you only imagine........?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

That's the kind of defense we had when Gary DeLoach was running that side of the LOS. Can you only imagine........?

Rick

Add Dodge's Spread attack which will only get better with time, and you've got a team that can compete. Not against Troy and FAU, but against Texas, OU and other large Univerities we usually play money/body bag games against.

...you've got a top 25 team and a BCS party crasher.

...yet some want to keep Mendoza around for another year... ...to see what he's REALLY got.

Add Dodge's Spread attack which will only get better with time, and you've got a team that can compete. Not against Troy and FAU, but against Texas, OU and other large Univerities we usually play money/body bag games against.

...you've got a top 25 team and a BCS party crasher.

...yet some want to keep Mendoza around for another year... ...to see what he's REALLY got.

So I assume you can have Dodge let Mendoza go and find another coach?

So I assume you can have Dodge let Mendoza go and find another coach?

Why are you responding? It's not like it changes anything.

Why do we even watch sports? It's not like we can do anything except cause a delay of game if we get loud?