Football Is Getting All The Attention From Saturday

Who all made the walk over to the SuperPit to see the banner raising and basketball team win 106-53? If you didn't make it, why not? The crowd was pretty bad for the banner raising and being free for 26,000+ people who were a couple minute walk away. Heck, the basketball team held their opponent to less points than the football team. Where is the support for our defending conference champions?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who all made the walk over to the SuperPit to see the banner raising and basketball team win 106-53? If you didn't make it, why not? The crowd was pretty bad for the banner raising and being free for 26,000+ people who were a couple minute walk away. Heck, the basketball team held their opponent to less points than the football team. Where is the support for our defending conference champions?

I HEAR YA !!!!

If we can't get enough people to come to the OSU game we are in trouble. How can JJ recruit HS players w/ no crowd at all.

Edited by NT03

Ditto what he said.

We made the walk and it was well worth it. Getting to weekday games from the heart of Dallas is tough, but we're going Wednesday. Kind of reminds me of showdowns with Texas, SMU, Kansas State, and DePaul back in the Blakely era (we won three of those four games).

The Pit needs to become the rocking house it was back then. North Texas would build a lead and start running up and down the floor, forcing an opponent to call time out, and then the crowd would chant WELCOME TO THE PIT! over and over. It was so great. It was simple, easy to do, and everyone knew it. The crowd really provided a major home-court advantage back then.

I two was disssapointed with the turnout for a banner raising and a free game at that, if free doesn't work what will???....Lets hope we get another tourney banner this year ..maybe people will make it then... I wish i could make it to osu..but I work nights...stupid media job!!!!

The Pit needs to become the rocking house it was back then. North Texas would build a lead and start running up and down the floor, forcing an opponent to call time out, and then the crowd would chant WELCOME TO THE PIT! over and over. It was so great. It was simple, easy to do, and everyone knew it. The crowd really provided a major home-court advantage back then.

Love it. Pit Crew?

We made the walk and it was well worth it. Getting to weekday games from the heart of Dallas is tough, but we're going Wednesday. Kind of reminds me of showdowns with Texas, SMU, Kansas State, and DePaul back in the Blakely era (we won three of those four games).

Emmitt and I tried to do the "Welcome to the Pit" chant last night because I remembered that story from last year. We did it for about 45 seconds....by ourselves. Oh well. :lol:

The turnout in this thread is about the same kind of turnout at the games. It's the same people who support Mean Green basketball. I don't see too many of the people who have hundreds or thousands of posts on the football board and claim to be huge Mean Green supporters. Again, why couldn't people make the short walk across the street, get in free, watch a banner raising and see their DEFENDING CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS??? If you can make a game to see a 1 win team play, why can't you support the team that has actually done something in recent memory???

I don't know about anyone else, but I am tired of excuses. Because there was no excuse for the crowd at the basketball game on Saturday.

The turnout in this thread is about the same kind of turnout at the games. It's the same people who support Mean Green basketball. I don't see too many of the people who have hundreds or thousands of posts on the football board and claim to be huge Mean Green supporters. Again, why couldn't people make the short walk across the street, get in free, watch a banner raising and see their DEFENDING CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS??? If you can make a game to see a 1 win team play, why can't you support the team that has actually done something in recent memory???

I don't know about anyone else, but I am tired of excuses. Because there was no excuse for the crowd at the basketball game on Saturday.

Ditto to my rant on the basketball board. You have a free ticket to a historic moment for your alma mater and you don't go? There is no excuse for that.

I was there and talked two others into coming as well. It was a great night, but look at my wifes' point of view that we faced with our 6 year old who went with me saturday.

Saturday morning he had a music competition, his first ever at 9 a.m. At 1 p.m. he had a soccer game in which afterward he and I blazed a trail from northwest parker county to Denton to get to the football game late, at around 3:15. Afterwards, past 6 p.m. we played on the football field a bit and then went to the basketball game in time to see the entire show. Left and got home and got him to bed around 11 p.m. The wife was pissed off to no end that I kept him out late at night after having such a busy early day and rightly so. A large portion of alumni, many who post on this board I'm certain were in the same boat I was in with their families, and most were there that I recognized.

My point? Again, if you want to be pissed off at someone for not showing up at the basketball games, don't bring it here on the footbal board, be pissed at the students. I would say over half of those in attendance at the Super Pit were alumni, maybe more, maybe less. Either way that's pathetic for a student body population of our size.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Team looks promising this year. The crowd is a bit disappointing...but considering how bad turnouts are typically at this time of the year, I'm not too pissed. It will get better (specifically after Christmas break) especially if they keep winning. I'd like for attendance to pick up earlier in the season, but that's how it's been in the 10 years that I've been following NT athletics.

There will be a good crowd for the OSU game.

Same argument.... new season...

I was not at the game because of a friend being in the ICU but this argument is all to familar. I think you can bring this argument to the football board though because we do have tons of fans on here that claim mean green for life. I see them every saturday at fouts and have never seen them in the Pit. This is a VERY valid argument. FREE GAME, Team that has done SOMETHING recently, and raising the banner. barely 3000... BAD!!!!

Amen. I was disgusted with the turnout at the bball game.

I think thats a bit harsh. We were there, but we were super-tired by the time the game got kicked off. I can completely understand why people would opt to go home after the football game. That's a really long day.

I think that in theory having a bball game immediately after a football game sounds like a perfect scenario for a huge turnout, but it may have actually had the opposite effect. Being at a game 6+ hours (with tailgating, the drive, etc) commands a significant amount of your time. Hard to tack on a couple more hours on top of that for another game...

I was there and talked two others into coming as well. It was a great night, but look at my wifes' point of view that we faced with our 6 year old who went with me saturday.

Saturday morning he had a music competition, his first ever at 9 a.m. At 1 p.m. he had a soccer game in which afterward he and I blazed a trail from northwest parker county to Denton to get to the football game late, at around 3:15. Afterwards, past 6 p.m. we played on the football field a bit and then went to the basketball game in time to see the entire show. Left and got home and got him to bed around 11 p.m. The wife was pissed off to no end that I kept him out late at night after having such a busy early day and rightly so. A large portion of alumni, many who post on this board I'm certain were in the same boat I was in with their families, and most were there that I recognized.

My point? Again, if you want to be pissed off at someone for not showing up at the basketball games, don't bring it here on the footbal board, be pissed at the students. I would say over half of those in attendance at the Super Pit were alumni, maybe more, maybe less. Either way that's pathetic for a student body population of our size.

Rick

This is an appropriate place for these complaints for two reasons: 1. This is easily the most read board. 2. It is the 23K football fans who we're upset with. That goes for students and alumni as both read this board. You've known about the events of this day for a quite a while...plenty of time to make adjustments to your schedules and make sure the wife is happy...spend Sunday cleaning and cooking for all I care...but it was no secret that Saturday was going to be a long day for UNT fans (both literally and figurativly) so I just don't think I've read a viable excuse from anyone who claims to be a loyal UNT Athletics supporter...if you only claim to be a football fan...fine...its Texas and I know any sport other than football and NASCAR is either Yankee or French and thus sissy...but to the majority of you I am thorougly disappointed.

There will be a good crowd for the OSU game.

Yup...and a good majority will probably be wearing Orange.

I'd like for attendance to pick up earlier in the season, but that's how it's been in the 10 years that I've been following NT athletics.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO KNOW WHAT WOULD MAKE MY MEAN GREEN PANTS ECSTATIC AND PRETTY MUCH TAKE CARE OF MY CHRISTMAS LIST FOR THE NEXT TWO DECADES HERE IT IS. GET RID OF THE EXACT ATTITUDE FOUND IN THE SENTENCE QUOTED ABOVE. SO FREAKIN' WHAT IF THIS IS THE WAY THINGS HAVE BEEN FOR A DECADE, TWO DECADES OR A CENTURY AT NORTH TEXAS!!!!

We whine, bitch and moan about how we want to see progress, want to be respected with the big boys (hell, one of you has a signature with a quote by Brad Kasell saying this exact thing) yet when we as a fan base severely underperform we fall back on "well, I'm impressed because it's better than shitty". First off, why are you so easily impressed? Second, no, it's not better than shitty to basically give a big "f.u" to a basketball team that stood on that Fouts Field playing surface in front of 26,000 only to suit up and play for YOUR university in front of 3,000. For Christ's sake people...we can drive umpteen hours away from our homes to see our football team play on the road. We can tailgate for football from the crack of dawn until the end of one of Todd Dodge's 4 hour opuses. But we can't WALK ACROSS THE STREET!? Might I suggest a treadmill or stairmaster if walking is such a difficulty.

So, no, I am not impressed because this time of year most years we would draw a couple hundred to a thousand. No, I'm not satisfied. Most years we weren't raising a conference title banner and weren't asking tens of thousands to WALK ACROSS THE STREET.

I have to admit that my husband and I are some of those people that always make it to the football games but never to the basketball games. Hopefully we have taken a positive step towards changing that this season. :) We took off and went to NO last year to watch the basketball team play in the tourney. It was awesome! We also went this past Sat. for the banner raising and I was surprised at the lack of attendance. I thought for sure there would be tons more like us who would go (free to get in with Navy tix).

We had a good time. Not only is the product on the court amazing but so is the crowd who does show up. It was very very entertaining and we are for sure going back when we can. Hopefully we will see everyone on Wed!!!!!

Yup...and a good majority will probably be wearing Orange.

You may be right. It could be like the Indiana game. That game, however, brought out the best in the Mean Green fans in attendance. They were truly "into the game" that night. As into a game as I've ever seen in the pit. It truly became a "Battle of Spirit" between the Indiana fans and the NT fans. I can say confidently that even though we lost that game, we came together as fans, and gave the BB team the proper support that night. I was actually proud of the NT fans that night.

Did they advertise anywhere that you could get in free with your football ticket anywhere? If so, I must have missed it and was very happy to find out that I didn't have to pay for my nephew and I. I think if they would have advertised this a little better there might have been more fans.

I know that they sent out at least one email prior to Saturday and it was mentioned at least twice over the PA during the actual game. Other than that, I'm not sure.

You may be right. It could be like the Indiana game. That game, however, brought out the best in the Mean Green fans in attendance. They were truly "into the game" that night. As into a game as I've ever seen in the pit. It truly became a "Battle of Spirit" between the Indiana fans and the NT fans. I can say confidently that even though we lost that game, we came together as fans, and gave the BB team the proper support that night. I was actually proud of the NT fans that night.

Most of the people at that game weren't really Indiana fans...rather basketball fans who wanted to come see Indiana...when UNT had it close late most who were cheering while Bracey Wright was banking three pointers from everywhere on the court where pulling for UNT in the last few minutes. I'm concerned this game could end up more like the Houston game...OSU has loyal fans who will drive the 2-3 hours from Stillwater and it could end up as Gallagher-Iba South if this sort of UNT fan apathy continues.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO KNOW WHAT WOULD MAKE MY MEAN GREEN PANTS ECSTATIC AND PRETTY MUCH TAKE CARE OF MY CHRISTMAS LIST FOR THE NEXT TWO DECADES HERE IT IS. GET RID OF THE EXACT ATTITUDE FOUND IN THE SENTENCE QUOTED ABOVE. SO FREAKIN' WHAT IF THIS IS THE WAY THINGS HAVE BEEN FOR A DECADE, TWO DECADES OR A CENTURY AT NORTH TEXAS!!!!

We whine, bitch and moan about how we want to see progress, want to be respected with the big boys (hell, one of you has a signature with a quote by Brad Kasell saying this exact thing) yet when we as a fan base severely underperform we fall back on "well, I'm impressed because it's better than shitty". First off, why are you so easily impressed? Second, no, it's not better than shitty to basically give a big "f.u" to a basketball team that stood on that Fouts Field playing surface in front of 26,000 only to suit up and play for YOUR university in front of 3,000. For Christ's sake people...we can drive umpteen hours away from our homes to see our football team play on the road. We can tailgate for football from the crack of dawn until the end of one of Todd Dodge's 4 hour opuses. But we can't WALK ACROSS THE STREET!? Might I suggest a treadmill or stairmaster if walking is such a difficulty.

So, no, I am not impressed because this time of year most years we would draw a couple hundred to a thousand. No, I'm not satisfied. Most years we weren't raising a conference title banner and weren't asking tens of thousands to WALK ACROSS THE STREET.

:D Now thats a fired up post! Glad I could contribute to you letting that out Emmitt. I don't think that basketball attendance is good (for the record). I worked over there for a number of years. I'm just offering perspective on when attendance traditionally picks up.

And Emmitt, you've followed NT hoop long enough to know that a couple of thousand people showing for a game while football season is still going (even a crappy season) is a pretty respectable number early in the year. With the Navy crowd having free access to the game, it is disappointing that more people didn't show up and take advantage of that, but I've sat though so many games over the years with 300-800 in attendance early in the year, it would make you sick. It's just what I've come to expect...and that's not a good thing.

Are you for freakin' real?!?!?!?

Dude... I didn't see you at the Soccer game Saturday Morning, you must not be a Mean Green supporter.

...I suppose you've been to all the volleyball games too?

Maybe there were commitments made. Maybe there were children to get home. Maybe, just maybe, SOME FOOTBALL FANS GIVE A CRAP LESS ABOUT BASKETBALL!!!!

I went, and it was great, but to say someone who DIDN'T go isn't a Mean Green supporter is about as moronic as it gets.

...my $.02.

Well let's see, that's abour 11 football posters who usually post on the football board that seem to be saying they went to the basketball game.

Again, bitch at the students. They get in free all the time. They see it when they pay their bills and they don't have a long ass drive home afterwards.

Rick

OK...show me the Student Only portion of this board and I'll gladly go bitch there as well.

This board isn't just alumni...plenty of students on here as well...and I am calling out anyone who has ever posted on here complaining about fan support...anyone who has ever claimed to be a UNT athletic supporter...and it belongs on this board because this is where most of you I'm so angry at reside. Those of us who post regularly on the basketball board who could attend...were there. It is just ridiculous to me that only 12% of the football crowd were able to find the large, flat-roofed building with the flashing marquee directly across the street from their car.

And, no, I didn't go to either game...as regretably I live 1663 miles away from the Super Pit and decided that the one trip home I could afford this year was two weekends ago for homecoming...anyone who wants to challange my loyalty though...feel free.