Football Is Getting All The Attention From Saturday

OK...show me the Student Only portion of this board and I'll gladly go bitch there as well.

This board isn't just alumni...plenty of students on here as well...and I am calling out anyone who has ever posted on here complaining about fan support...anyone who has ever claimed to be a UNT athletic supporter...and it belongs on this board because this is where most of you I'm so angry at reside. Those of us who post regularly on the basketball board who could attend...were there. It is just ridiculous to me that only 12% of the football crowd were able to find the large, flat-roofed building with the flashing marquee directly across the street from their car.

And, no, I didn't go to either game...as regretably I live 1663 miles away from the Super Pit and decided that the one trip home I could afford this year was two weekends ago for homecoming...anyone who wants to challange my loyalty though...feel free.

I challenge you to a thumb wrestle.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let's see, that's abour 11 football posters who usually post on the football board that seem to be saying they went to the basketball game.

Again, bitch at the students. They get in free all the time. They see it when they pay their bills and they don't have a long ass drive home afterwards.

Rick

OK.... 11 posters on the football board are claiming they went to the basketball game....

How many posters went to the football game?

Just Curious....

I bet it waaaaaaaay more than 11. Just a guess tho... havent researched.

Where is the support for our defending conference champions?

I think your questions are rhetorical in nature, but just in case, I will try to give an honest answer. You are not considering one very important postulate regarding our basketball attendance in general:

Football > Basketball.

That said, I was there, and will be there Wednesday.

I was there and talked two others into coming as well. It was a great night, but look at my wifes' point of view that we faced with our 6 year old who went with me saturday.

My point? Again, if you want to be pissed off at someone for not showing up at the basketball games, don't bring it here on the footbal board, be pissed at the students. I would say over half of those in attendance at the Super Pit were alumni, maybe more, maybe less. Either way that's pathetic for a student body population of our size.

Rick

---You are 100% correct... Basketball support has to come from the students, not alums.. They play a lot of games and most are on week-nights and alums are for the most part not close by.... many students are.

---I still fondly remember the MVC days (while I was a student) when Cincinnatti, Lousiville, and a lot of ranked teams were coming to town. Students get out of school what they put into it. In order to enjoy life people have get off the couch and butt and do something... Those type of things (games) can creat a lot of good memories. The "Snake Pit" (old Men's gym) was not a nice place to play but it was loads of fun and had a lot of meaningful, fun, games to look back and remember. My favorites are beating Cincinatti who had been the National Champ two years earlier and one against Wes Unseld and Lousiville. You never know which ones will be etched into your memory... you would never expected the Navy game this week to be a "record setter" or the FIU game last year to have so many overtimes. Just go and have fun... win or lose.

--Too bad so many students don't have the same attitude that we did then... Go to games and have some fun.... they will remember many of them the rest of their lives...especially if a lot of people show up and it becomes as wild and crazy as it was then.

----I just hate people who sit around and complain that there is nothing to do... really.!!!.. just get up and find something to do... life will be more interesting. My kids often comment that I can come up with more goofy stories.... well the reason is... I get up and do things and go places... Sitting around and watching TV rarely creates interesting stories or great memories....well sometimes maybe ..like watch a later famous game but not otherwise.

--For any students reading this... get out and enjoy life which includes a few basketaball games... some will be great some won't.. but at least you will have "something" to fondly look back on...Sometimes it will be the game, sometimes events that occur in stands or the goofy people that show up. Get out and enjoy life some..

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---You are 100% correct... Basketball support has to come from the students, not alums.. They play a lot of games and most are on week-nights and alums are for the most part not close by.... many students are.

---I still fondly remember the MVC days (while I was a student) when Cincinnatti, Lousiville, and a lot of ranked teams were coming to town. Students get out of school what they put into it. In order to enjoy life people have get off the couch and butt and do something... Those typ[e of things (games) can creat a lot of good memories. The "Sanke Pit" (old Men;s gym was not a nice play but it was loads of fun asnd hasd alot of meaningful, fun games to look back and remember.

--Too bad so many students don't have the same attitude that we did then... Go to games and have some fun.... they will remember many of them the rest of their lives...especially if a lot of people show up and it becomes as wild and crazy as it was then.

I understand that weekday...or even weekend basketball games throughout the season are difficult to attend...and I don't expect anyone to have the same passion that I had for UNT basketball while I was in the area...but I'm not talking about next months game with Hartford...or even Weds. game with OSU...I'm talking about a game that was 500 feet away from a football game attended by 26 thousand people...and 3000 of those can make it over? For a conference championship banner raising? I guess in the end I should be happy...because all weekend I was upset thinking that I chose the wrong weekend to come back in town...I thought Homecoming was great...but I was thinking I missed the most exciting football game UNT has ever been apart of...and then right after I was going to have to book it over to the Pit for what had the potential to be a sold out basketball game...I was really upset I was going to miss it. I feel better knowing I only missed another weeknight basketball game against Jarvis Christian.

While I was disappointed in the turnout for the basketball game as far as numbers go, but i thought that those that were there were really into it. As far as me I had a great Saturday. Got to the parking lot at 8am, cooked up some beacon for breakfast, went on to cook up a bunch of sausage for lunch, went in to Fouts and saw a great game, after the game cooled down a bit, walked over to the Pit, ran into an aquaintance of my wife's (not to mention i was able to drag her around with me all day) and was able to sit down on the floor right behind Rick V. It was also great to see both Rick V. and Dr. B. at the basketball game and really getting into it. There are defintly some positives going on here, and hopefully the students will take notice and get behind this basketball team like they seem to be for the football team.

See yall Wed. for Okie State

Scott

----I teach at Midland College... My son who lives in Allen went to the football and basketball game and said he talked to the Midland College basketball team. MC was in the area at a tournament and were invited to attend. They are the defending national JC Champions. This was a great move on the part of the UNT coaches to make contact and show them the place and atmosphere. (wish it had been better) One UNT player (McCoy?) attended MC last year. A couple of them are now in my class and I plan to mention it to them tommorrow. One of my student is scoring double digits for MC. JC players in basketball can be very good, better than most HS kids since they will have had a lot of experience against very good competition. This is much more true of basketball than football. We have produced several NBA players here including Mookie Blaylock and Spud Webb.

---I suspect it did not hurt any to have a big name college team (Navy) playing football across the street when they visited.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

For the record, I went to both games Saturday. However, I don't think a strategy of shaming or challenging someone that has little interest to become a NT basketball fan is going to be successful. The only ray of hope I see is the vast improvement in football attendance that as occurred despite the very sub-par teams the last few years. The same thing can happen in basketball. This is a very interesting team and has a chance to be one of the very best in NT history.

These is no logic that dictates a football fan should be obligated to be a basketball fan anymore than becoming an ardent supporter of softball. To be truthful, NT needs all the fans it can get. It doesn't matter if that is for one sport, that they don't cheer up to some standards, or that they are critical of the program or rock solid supporter of the athletic administration.

I have never understood why students who have already paid do not go to events, why the staff of the university is not more supportive, why Denton residents don't embrace the local university athletic programs, or why so few of the thousands of local alumni bother to support NT in anyway. Of course my opinion is coming from someone that had rather go to a NT basketball game or football game then have free tickets to the Mavericks or Cowboy's. The vast majority of people could either careless about sports. or are so sold on pro sports or pro like mega college programs that they become a major challenge to convert to NT supporters.

Well, make it 12 posters that walked across to the Super Pit to see the game. And I bought reserved seats weeks ago, too, just for this opportunity. Eaglette was with me, her first trip to the Super Pit. Her comment was "They don't support basketball too well, do they?". I told her I had seen smaller crowds.

We're both going to use vacation time just to be able to get to Denton for the 7:00 p.m. tipoff Wednesday with Okie LIte. But you will not see me for basketball during the week again this season. The reason is in the first sentence above. Half an hour later would make all the difference.

For the record, I went to both games Saturday. However, I don't think a strategy of shaming or challenging someone that has little interest to become a NT basketball fan is going to be successful. The only ray of hope I see is the vast improvement in football attendance that as occurred despite the very sub-par teams the last few years. The same thing can happen in basketball. This is a very interesting team and has a chance to be one of the very best in NT history.

These is no logic that dictates a football fan should be obligated to be a basketball fan anymore than becoming an ardent supporter of softball. To be truthful, NT needs all the fans it can get. It doesn't matter if that is for one sport, that they don't cheer up to some standards, or that they are critical of the program or rock solid supporter of the athletic administration.

I have never understood why students who have already paid do not go to events, why the staff of the university is not more supportive, why Denton residents don't embrace the local university athletic programs, or why so few of the thousands of local alumni bother to support NT in anyway. Of course my opinion is coming from someone that had rather go to a NT basketball game or football game then have free tickets to the Mavericks or Cowboy's. The vast majority of people could either careless about sports. or are so sold on pro sports or pro like mega college programs that they become a major challenge to convert to NT supporters.

I agree. Nobody should be attacked for preferring football to basketball. When I was a student I much preferred the bball games to the football games, but we never had good attendance in either sport the entire time I was there. Still, the bball atmosphere is just so much more fun (even with smaller crowds) than the football games. You almost can't go to a basketball game and NOT pay attention to the action...the setting is just so much more intimate than Fouts (and why we need to doze that thing asap)....anyways, back to the topic at hand-->I went to both events saturday (and toted my wife and 3yr old!). This was my first bball game in 3 years. I have 6 tickets to the OSU game but that will probably be the last weekday game I can make this year.

In any event, I mostly wanted to just add that I was IMPRESSED with the student turnout compared to when I was in school. Are the 2 sections right behind the Pit Crew completely filled with just Pit Crew members?...or is that just student seating and only the first few rows are the Pit Crew? It looked to me like those guys/gals are doing a great job in starting to get some students back out to the bball games. What's the story on that group?...it's not a membership group like the Talons, is it?

i've been to every home basketball game since the beginning of last season.. Despite attendance being low, the atmosphere is always better what I have experienced at the football games.. Fans at the basketball games actually pay attention to the game and don't leave at half time.. I just hope the rest of the students will catch on eventually and the attendance for basketball games will rise slowly.. speaking of which, I have seen no flyers, signs, commercials, or any type of announcement for the Ok. State game Wednesday.. this is the biggest game we have had in a long time at the super pit, why does it seem nobody cares?

I was there, and it was a great game. Once basketball is the only major sport to watch, more people will come. We were worn the heck out by the end of the day, but the student section had a decent crowd. The Pit Crew will be in full attendance on Wednesday. Count on it. If you need a green wig or face paint, come find me.

PIt crew was started a few years back by Gak (former poster) and some others and gained popularity but eventually funds ran out and the core of people began to graduate. Last season, Rockguitarist4life and his crew took it back over and got it sponsored and funded by the AD.... Kudos!... and it was back and running. I give them props for keeping alot fo the things the original crew came up with and I am still waiting to see sock puppets and tiki bastardface at a game!

No membership fees.... no dues... just show up be loud and have fun!

Good stuff!

Jesse turn on the ticket NOW... Norm's post game caller is about to be dissected... HILARITY!

Edited by UNT_92_Fan

PIt crew was started a few years back by Gak (former poster) and some others and gained popularity but eventually funds ran out and the core of people began to graduate. Last season, Rockguitarist4life and his crew took it back over and got it sponsored and funded by the AD.... Kudos!... and it was back and running. I give them props for keeping alot fo the things the original crew came up with and I am still waiting to see sock puppets and tiki bastardface at a game!

No membership fees.... no dues... just show up be loud and have fun!

Good stuff!

Jesse turn on the ticket NOW... Norm's post game caller is about to be dissected... HILARITY!

That is awesome! What exactly is funded? Do the members get shirts or anything??

The Pit Crew is now funded out of the SGA budget. I, along with Trey (rockguitarist), Michael, the Talons president (Boomer), and Lance, our SGA Director of Student Affairs, do the planning, the designing, and the ordering. There are new t-shirts this year which will be released on Wednesday. There will also be a section where you can trade in your ID for distracting items, such as green wigs, brick signs, etc. Face-painting will also be available. We're doing two rounds of shirts. This upcoming design is simple, but effective. The shirt next semester will probably be a bit more flashy. We're coming out with guns blazing trying to get people involved. One of our greatest tools, believe it or not, is the Facebook.

B)

Are you for freakin' real?!?!?!?

Dude... I didn't see you at the Soccer game Saturday Morning, you must not be a Mean Green supporter.

...I suppose you've been to all the volleyball games too?

Maybe there were commitments made. Maybe there were children to get home. Maybe, just maybe, SOME FOOTBALL FANS GIVE A CRAP LESS ABOUT BASKETBALL!!!!

I went, and it was great, but to say someone who DIDN'T go isn't a Mean Green supporter is about as moronic as it gets.

...my $.02.

Yeah, I'm for real. I had to work Saturday morning. I left work and went to the football game, and then left the football game and went to the basketball game. If there had been a soccer game across the street after the football game that I didn't have to pay for and they were honoring the defending conference champions, I would have been there in a heartbeat. That's the thing, I'm not attacking people who prefer football over basketball, I'm attacking people who claim to be Mean Green supporters and can't make the short walk across the street after the football game, get in free, and see a banner raising and their defending conference champions play. Doesn't matter what sport it is. I don't care if someone hates basketball, if they call themselves a Mean Green supporter then they should have PROVED IT by making the easiest show of support possible that was presented to 26k people on Saturday.

Yup, he's for real. Been doing this stint for years, coming over to the football board, calling out people over there who don't post on the basketball board as poor fans. If you really want to piss him off, just remind him that basketball season starts after the Super Bowl, February 6th. Somehow he continues to dismiss the fact that there's roughly 5,000 students within a one mile radius of the Super Pit who continue to get a pass for not showing up. But if the football team is on a 20 something conference winning streak and another chance to go to a bowl game and it's kept peoples interest a little longer and above the first two or three games of the season against the Cameron's of the world then you somehow don't deserve to call yourself a North Texas sports fan, or whatever it is he claims.

Rick

Yup, he's for real. Been doing this stint for years, coming over to the football board, calling out people over there who don't post on the basketball board as poor fans. If you really want to piss him off, just remind him that basketball season starts after the Super Bowl, February 6th. Somehow he continues to dismiss the fact that there's roughly 5,000 students within a one mile radius of the Super Pit who continue to get a pass for not showing up. But if the football team is on a 20 something conference winning streak and another chance to go to a bowl game and it's kept peoples interest a little longer and above the first two or three games of the season against the Cameron's of the world then you somehow don't deserve to call yourself a North Texas sports fan, or whatever it is he claims.

Rick

Read my post directly above yours. And I need your mailing address to send out an application for my fan club.

Read my post directly above yours. And I need your mailing address to send out an application for my fan club.

Its amazing to me how many people have either missed our point or purposly ignored it. Nobody is attacking the Dallas, Fort Worth or Parker County Alumni who don't make it up for every basketball game...nobody is claiming that if you're not in attendance at every soccer match, swim meet or golf tourney that you're not a loyal UNT supporter...and nobody is saying that basketball is God's gift to sport (though, it is). The people who have been complaining about this issue for two days now are upset that our defending conference champions had 3100 fans to support them as a new banner went up in the Super Pit when an hour before there were 26 thousand fans directly across the street who could get into see the basketball team for free. One night...one night of commitment...one night of an angry wife or bratty kids...one night that you got to Tavern two hours later...one night that you knew months in advance could turn into a long night...even if you would've showed up to see the banner go up, cheer for the first five minutes until the game is out of reach and then head home. That place should've been full when that banner went up...no excuses.

This thread is just borderline lame.

Sorry, guys - you're just wrong. You can't rightfully claim that people who didn't attend this basketball game, no matter how important it was, are not Mean Green supporters. Again, many didn't even know about the game. Very little advertisement of it - the first I heard of it was during the football game over the PA.

...and CBL, we got the point of your posts. You both believe there was no excuse for anyone in that football stadium to miss the basketball game. Again, you're wrong. People who didn't know this game was going on may well have made other commitments that could not be broken. Maybe they honestly don't like basketball. Maybe they had kid that they needed to get home after a long day. Maybe they don't owe either of you so much as an excuse, since you don't think they are Real Mean Green Supporters anyways. ...I'm farily certain 26,000 people were NOT at the Tavern after the Game Saturday. :rolleyes:

[Cartman] LAME!! [/Cartman]

CBL you are still fairly new... to this board... you won't win this arguement because basketball is the ugly stepchild to a sub par football team and always will be.

Ding, Ding, Ding. YOU HAVE THE CORRECT ANSWER.