Our Future

Guest GrayEagleOne

We have done nothing in the SBC in football in several years. We won the basketball tourney last year but we did that as the 4 or 5 seed. The NIT appearences should not be what you hang your hat on. It should be going to the NCAA tourney. The softball program is not great either. If you are not great in Football you need to be really good in all the other sports. UNT right now is not that at the current moment. I hope that one day UNT can compete with the big boys but right now we are not at that level. If you think we are then i beleive your jsut being a homer. Again I want the best for UNT athletics but im also realistic in the fact that in this age of college sports we are a have not. I dont use that as an excuse for our programs that is just the way i see it. I feel that even after all the big schools take the kids that are supossed to be great there are plenty of players in the state of Texas for UNT to be sucessful. We may never compete with Texas or Oklahoma on an every year basis but wouldnt it be great to do it once in a while.

I understand the point that you are attempting to make. However, when you look at logical expansion candidates within the Sunbelt conference, a couple jump out as front runners. NT, Troy, MT, and FAU. It's pretty common sense, and quite a bit of what these programs offer (POTENTIAL) does not have anything to do with recent success on the football field or the basketball court. NT does have as good or better credentials than any of the other teams that I mentioned. To summarily dismiss us as a possible candidate for other leagues based on our last couple of years of football is naive. How did Rice & SMU get into CUSA? It certainly didn't have anything to do with production from their athletic programs. None of the points I made make me a homer (which I proudly am), they make me a realist. I never said that we are the only logical candidate for expansion, just one of a few intriguing candidates.

The argument of whether to move from the Sunbelt to another non-BCS conference is something else all together. I'm just saying that in the next round of conference shake ups, NT will be considered by other leagues. We already were last time. It is common knowledge.

Edited by Green Lantern

How about a conference without snooty private schools ? Can schedule them for OC games. Some good rivalries in this mix.

West

North Texas

UTEP

New Mexico State

Houston

Louisiana-Lafayette

Louisiana Tech

East

Arkansas State

Memphis

Southern Miss

Troy

UAB

Middle Tennessee

I think this makes the MOST sense. I don't understand all the posters who dismiss this thread by saying that we need to win our own conference before we can start dreaming. I saw the original post by NT80, I think, a couple of days ago and responded with something similar to what '61 has here. The thing is, I don't think this is even dreaming all that much. All this supposed new conference does is removes the privates from the regional equation and takes the best(and south-centrally located) from CUSA and Sun Belt and merges them together. What school in here wouldn't jump for this RIGHT NOW if not for the NCAA basketball tourney exemptions?? There are only 2 schools that I know of that might object to other schools in that list. LaTech doesn't like LaLa and Memphis may object to MTSU. So we drop LaTech if they strongly object to this plan b/c LaLa has closer ties to all the schools listed here anyways. Memphis and MTSU is a tough one, but I would guess that Memphis would win out simply---which would be a shame b/c I am really starting to like our rivalry with MTSU---that or Memphis may think they're above everyone. My guess is that this situation probably unravels if Memphis pulls out (I think you'd immediately lose SMiss, UAB, UTEP and Houston). My question is how could we move to this situation in a phased approach--so as not to lose the bball exemption?

There are only 2 schools that I know of that might object to other schools in that list. LaTech doesn't like LaLa and Memphis may object to MTSU. So we drop LaTech if they strongly object to this plan b/c LaLa has closer ties to all the schools listed here anyways.

The "LaLa/LaTech" thing isn't that big a deal (this coming from a Cajun). We have a VERY long history with Tech (think we've played them 80+ times in football). Tech's big deal is they don't want to be in the Belt with the Cajuns. Sure, some fans still have separation aspiriations - - the feeling that they have left all but LSU in the state behind; but really that is a minority. Now, ask them to join a conference with ULM and you will get some real adament objections.

P.S. I don't think you would get too many objections to this recommended alignment from Cajun fans. Good regional grouping, old and new relationships, etc. UL fans like Rice for baseball; but that's about it for other considerations.

Edited by Shof

Bottom line is that the schools are getting their first chance in Div. I. The schools here have zero tradition...just look at their names ULamo, Ulafayette, Florida International, Florida Atlantic...it's pathetic. Troy will be the first school out and if not them then Ak St.

Just to clarify....Lafayette was never in 1-AA like we were. They have a win over Texas A&M in the not too distant past(1996, a week later we were annhilated 55-0 by the same Aggie team). Monroe? They went back to D1A before we did.

Florida Atlantic has never lost to us.

Edited by CMJ

This thread is interesting and good food for thought for the future and totally appropriate for this board, so that's what I say to all of the "purists."

Here would be my game plan. After we win 2 more conference championships in a row, and assuming we have built a new stadium by then, I (RV and the Pres)...would arrange for private meetings with the AD/Pres of SMU, TCU, Tulsa, Memphis, Southern Miss, Ark State, LaTech, Utep, Houston, Rice, and maybe New Mexico State.

I would have my ducks in a row in terms of data to show the benefits of controlling travel costs and the possible revenue from a solid regional TV package that would surely come from such an arrangement. I would talk about the benefits of regional rivalries for midmajors and regional bowl games. I would discuss the advantages to the fan base of each school and the INCREASED attendance that could come from having close alliances. I would discuss the academic advantages for student athletes in having games that don't require overnight travel, and missing classes for many consecutive days (think B'ball here). I would talk about the increased media coverage in the region driven by increased fan interest and attendance.

I think that common sense is going to rule at some point, and I think the time is coming in which the above institutions are going to want to put more of their money into facilities and not to the airlines!

This thread is interesting and good food for thought for the future and totally appropriate for this board, so that's what I say to all of the "purists."

Here would be my game plan. After we win 2 more conference championships in a row, and assuming we have built a new stadium by then, I (RV and the Pres)...would arrange for private meetings with the AD/Pres of SMU, TCU, Tulsa, Memphis, Southern Miss, Ark State, LaTech, Utep, Houston, Rice, and maybe New Mexico State.

I would have my ducks in a row in terms of data to show the benefits of controlling travel costs and the possible revenue from a solid regional TV package that would surely come from such an arrangement. I would talk about the benefits of regional rivalries for midmajors and regional bowl games. I would discuss the advantages to the fan base of each school and the INCREASED attendance that could come from having close alliances. I would discuss the academic advantages for student athletes in having games that don't require overnight travel, and missing classes for many consecutive days (think B'ball here). I would talk about the increased media coverage in the region driven by increased fan interest and attendance.

I think that common sense is going to rule at some point, and I think the time is coming in which the above institutions are going to want to put more of their money into facilities and not to the airlines!

I agree with you...mostly. I'd just rather cut the privates out of our party. All they do is stir up trouble anyways. SMiss is already complaining about the privates in CUSA after less than 3 years! Better to have a group of state institutions with similar academic standards and all around funding.

I really think that the only shake up from CUSA will be 2 schools (ECU and UCF) leaving for the Big East. Those slots will most likely be filled by ASU and Troy. There has already been a good deal of talk about Troy. Remember that the core group of CUSA (the football teams from the old Metro Confernece) teams try to be the 2nd SEC. Troy has that same mindset just look at their schedule. ASU is positioning very well by playing 3 CUSA teams this year and beating 2 of them. I still think my Eagles will beat ASU (assuming no more injuries). I dont hear people talking about Middle Tennessee.

I do hear talk of UNT. Because of the market share and number of students. But UNT must do more with what they have in order to make a move. If that happens look for Tulane to go to the East with Troy and UNT to take the Tulane spot in the West.

I think that CUSA has been a little unstable because of the teams leaving for the Big East. TCU (the only team to leave for another Mid Major) left because they did not want to be in the same conference as SMU. I do think that we should have kept TCU and not taken Rice and SMU. The conference would be much stronger.

Bottom line is that the schools are getting their first chance in Div. I. The schools here have zero tradition...just look at their names ULamo, Ulafayette, Florida International, Florida Atlantic...it's pathetic. Troy will be the first school out and if not them then Ak St.

Teams in the Sun Belt (and their fans) should spend more time building up the Belt and less time looking for the exits. One of the reasons North Texas has so little football tradition is because we keep moving conferences. The Belt is built the way a mid-major needs to be built -- it's regional and it has a marquee location for its bowl game. Give these teams another 5-10 years together, and we'll all have fans who are excited to have conference rivals coming to town. I'd rather see UNT stick with the Belt than go to another mid-major.

Seems to me that the belt is a it to young to think about breaking it all up. Yeah thte extra money and exposure and all that will be nice if we ended up in cusa, which is they only place i think that we should move to if we move. But I believe that those things will come to the belt the more recognition that we get. To get that recognition we have to win though, beat our ooc rivals, gain respect on a national level, and the belt is just beginning to do that. As soon as we can show that there is quality then the coverage will come.

The Belt is built the way a mid-major needs to be built -- it's regional and it has a marquee location for its bowl game. Give these teams another 5-10 years together, and we'll all have fans who are excited to have conference rivals coming to town.

?? Regional? The Belt goes from Denver to Miami...2000+ miles. Oh, football? Denton to Miami, only 1500+ miles. There are no other teams in Texas, and only one within 300 miles. We need out of this orphanage!

?? Regional? The Belt goes from Denver to Miami...2000+ miles. Oh, football? Denton to Miami, only 1500+ miles. There are no other teams in Texas, and only one within 300 miles. We need out of this orphanage!

You make it sound like the Big West.

The Sun Belt in football stretches from Texas to Florida, the football-rich southeast with the best TV game times for DFW viewers. We've got two conference foes in Louisiana and one in Arkansas, and could get teams likle Louisiana Tech and Texas State in the future. If this conference can put together two or three solid mid-major programs, it is in a better position than some of the conferences people keep hoping we will join.

I expect I'm in the minority, but I think it's better to stick around.

I would rather kick ass in our own backyard than go elsewhere and get it kicked by someon bigger. What sport has UNT actually execlled at long enough to garner any further requests for entry? Football? Basketball? Tennis? softball? Volleyball?

You make it sound like the Big West.

The Sun Belt in football stretches from Texas to Florida, the football-rich southeast with the best TV game times for DFW viewers. We've got two conference foes in Louisiana and one in Arkansas, and could get teams likle Louisiana Tech and Texas State in the future. If this conference can put together two or three solid mid-major programs, it is in a better position than some of the conferences people keep hoping we will join.

I expect I'm in the minority, but I think it's better to stick around.

Other conferences stretch nearly as far as ours but they play in divisions so it's not as much travel. If the SBC could add in La Tech, Texas State, and perhaps NMSU again sometime plus dump the non-football schools and go to divisions it would help our "rivalry" situation. I don't think it will ever evolve into that. Next best would be an eastern WAC some have suggested. CUSA would be the best for us, four Texas schools plus Tulsa and Tulane in the west division, much better for fan travel and true rivalries.