Boomer The Cannon Update.

FirefightnRick

No arguement here. I am talking about the early 80s. Obviously a University Campus is dynamic and things change rapidly. However, with the changes that took place in the late 70's the organization has never been the same. I encourage everyone to look at the Talons (talk to alums etc) of the 70s or other groups ie Texas Tech Saddle Tramps, Texas Cowboys, Oklahoma etc. These groups don't compare to the Talons. I am willing to do whatever I can to promote , encourage and support the Talons as much as I can so that the Talons can be compared to the Saddle Tramps.

I think the early- to mid-80's Talons fit the characterization of a somewhat exclusive group (I had a very good friend in Talons and attended some social events with the group, but still felt like an outsider). I never bothered to try pledging (and believe me, I was/am no slouch on UNT history) because it just seemed too clickish (is that a real word?). I think it had gotten down to a pretty small number during that period because of that attitude.

Hopefully, that remains old history and the current Talons and their successors will continue to thrive.

I think the early- to mid-80's Talons fit the characterization of a somewhat exclusive group (I had a very good friend in Talons and attended some social events with the group, but still felt like an outsider). I never bothered to try pledging (and believe me, I was/am no slouch on UNT history) because it just seemed too clickish (is that a real word?). I think it had gotten down to a pretty small number during that period because of that attitude.

Hopefully, that remains old history and the current Talons and their successors will continue to thrive.

i was in the mid to late 80's crowd and it wasn't so bad when i first joined - at least i didn't really notice but we did have a problem mixing with outsiders. I always thought the perception then was not so much clickish but "gee what a bunch of losers" which is the reason, I belive, we didn't play well with others which kept the perceptions going. self fulfilling propecy. Then it just became a huge party group, that was about the time I graduated. I think and hope that, while small, they are going back to what it should be and are doing good work but not having any contact with many of them now, don't really know for sure.

I like hearing about how Talons was in the past from those that were there. The few stories I've heard at Bonfire and the like are mostly from the 90s and forward. It might have been in a decline in the 80s, but none of the more recent members know about that. How many of you will make it to Bonfire/burnout?

I like hearing about how Talons was in the past from those that were there. The few stories I've heard at Bonfire and the like are mostly from the 90s and forward. It might have been in a decline in the 80s, but none of the more recent members know about that. How many of you will make it to Bonfire/burnout?

My question is...how many are gonna put some time in and help build?

As for getting in, it's really been about passing the tests about UNT/Talons history and at least making an effort to show up for everything Talons is involved in. It can be like having a second job, but probably one of the most rewarding ones. The main reason I've seen people turned away was that they couldn't pass the tests or because they didn't show up for enough events OR they didn't at least notify the people in charge they couldn't make it for whatever reasons. I have seen this semester's class and it looks strong, lots of people stepping up for Cannon Crew and more than enough to carry flags, and Cannon Crew is probably the most demanding thing a new member can do short of Bonfire week. That's a good sign.

I would like to extend an open welcome to all Talons Alumni to come and build bonfire, especially those who built at Eagle Point Golf Course. There is a possibility that this will be the last Bonfire on that location. Due to new construction and the rapid growth of the University especially the athletics complexes, to return to a full size 40x40 Bonfire we will have to move locations most likely next year. This years will be slightly larger than lasts at 31x31 but I am looking forward to getting back to the full size largest hand built man made bonfire in the state.

I would like to extend an open welcome to all Talons Alumni to come and build bonfire, especially those who built at Eagle Point Golf Course. There is a possibility that this will be the last Bonfire on that location. Due to new construction and the rapid growth of the University especially the athletics complexes, to return to a full size 40x40 Bonfire we will have to move locations most likely next year. This years will be slightly larger than lasts at 31x31 but I am looking forward to getting back to the full size largest hand built man made bonfire in the state.

I hope there is more to this post and "construction" than you said. :)

Where might bonfire be moved in the future? The lakeside location is currently about as remote as you can get anywhere on campus.

I hope there is more to this post and "construction" than you said. :)

Where might bonfire be moved in the future? The lakeside location is currently about as remote as you can get anywhere on campus.

The discussed new location is in the larger open space south of the practice fields, just north of the tennis complex. There will be better parking there as well so even though I have always loved the lakeside location, once the stadium gets built this move was going to have to happen anyway.

See y'all tonight.

Rick

I know. That's why I prefaced with "my question is". I'll be around Thursday night, and I'll be around Friday, too. Can't miss the inferno across from the pond.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will be able to make it. This will be the 1st bonfire / homecoming I have missed since joining Talons in 1987. Keith may fly in but hasn't looked into yet so I wouldn't count on it. He hasn't missed a bonfire since he was a little kid in the 70's along with his brother Sherman. Maybe I can talk him into it.

Great job on the cannon I could feel it all the way in Section H!!

Any one catch the nice smoke circle that appeared upon one of hte firings after a TD. That smoke ring made it all the was y to the 20yrd line on the south end. I had my camera in hand, but by the time I had it ready to get a shot off, it had dissapeared into oblivion.

Rick -- great job in getting the cannon back to it's top form. I nearly fell out of my seat when it was first fired. GREAT JOB!

Any one catch the nice smoke circle that appeared upon one of hte firings after a TD. That smoke ring made it all the was y to the 20yrd line on the south end. I had my camera in hand, but by the time I had it ready to get a shot off, it had dissapeared into oblivion.

Rick -- great job in getting the cannon back to it's top form. I nearly fell out of my seat when it was first fired. GREAT JOB!

Thank you, I appreciate it. But know that the Talons Cannon crew are the ones that deserve the accolades. I was very impressed with them being able to fire and reload fast enough to get a second shot off after the extra point. Smoothbore muzzleloaders are difficult at times and to do it that quickly took experience and practice, and the practice from Wednseday is paid off as I don't remember a single fizzle the entire day, including last nights pepralley at Clark Park.

Rick

Thank you, I appreciate it. But know that the Talons Cannon crew are the ones that deserve the accolades. I was very impressed with them being able to fire and reload fast enough to get a second shot off after the extra point. Smoothbore muzzleloaders are difficult at times and to do it that quickly took experience and practice, and the practice from Wednseday is paid off as I don't remember a single fizzle the entire day, including last nights pepralley at Clark Park.

Rick

Team effort. That's what it's all about. BRAVO to Rick and THE TALONS!!!!!!!! Btw, Rick, I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to you last night. I'm not really sure what's going on but it sounds very inapprorpriate and highly unprofessional and esepcially in front of your kids is uncalled for. Hang in there!