I Cannot Believe Some Of These Posts!

Charlie NT 73

I have been a NT fan since 1967-- I had to go through the Rod Rust's , Bob Tyler's,

Matt Simon's, and the Dennis Parker teams. Too bad GMG was not around during

these eras. The old timers could see that NT was going no where with these coaches.

I am very disappointed in the knee jerk reactions by NT fans on this board, with the

postings regarding the coaching staff.

I was very excited and happy Coach Dodge was named Head Football Coach-

finally, a coach with a vision for North Texas and instantly gave creditability to

our football program!

I remember how happy many fans were when Mendoza was named Defensive

coodinator, "finally a D coach with fire, can make adjustments, and a real

motivator" were common postings.

Come on, this team refects 3 years of bad recruiting, scheduling, and

the Dickey/Flanigan way of runing a football team.

Give this staff some support, give this staff time to teach their sytem, and

give this staff time to recruit the players needed.

I am embarressed at some of the postings being made on this board.

I can't believe so many are willing to throw these kids under the bus...

"this team reflects 3 years of bad recruiting"

...and give the adults who are PROFESSIONALS and GET PAID for their competencies a complete pass, AND THEN have the grapefruits to criticize others for their posts. :rolleyes:

You are right- Maybe I worded the 3 years of bad recruiting

the wrong way. I was targeting the players that Dickey signed

that did not pan out, like the DL guy from Tulsa OK that dropped

his weight from 300 to 225, or the DL guy from South Grand

Prairie that quit and transferred to OU, the jr college players

that did not show up, or how about 6-5 QB named starting QB

that flunked out at fall 2 adays and left the team with no QB

with experience to start the season. Seems like NT would lose key

players every year that were heavily counted on.

The current players we have, I cannot give these guys enough credit for their

hard work and their efforts. These guys have stayed with the program,

and will always be winners in my book!

I think DD coasted the last few years in recruiting, but I sometimes have a hard time blaming the coaches for Students not taking personal responsibility. DD did seem to run a loose ship and IMO (Flame On) some players left when they figured out their feet would be held to the fire for their mistakes/lack of responsibility.

I think Dodge is doing the best he can but I do not think the players are being used to maximize their abilities, these players are to good to be looking so bad this season on defense, whether is coaching or ability who knows but something is wrong in Denton.

It also hurts that Woody and Loren aren't here.

Both were huge losses. I think Woody saw the writing on the wall and his pride wouldn't let him change positions. Did he really have a shot at QB? It's debatable, but I do wish he would've leant his physical abilities at DB or WR.

Any news on where Woody went?

Democrat Gazette here in Arkansas has him planning to play at UCA next year if he gets academics inline. He took an incomplete during this past summer and that is why he is not with the team. I posted a link in some other post about 7-10 days ago.

Democrat Gazette here in Arkansas has him planning to play at UCA next year if he gets academics inline. He took an incomplete during this past summer and that is why he is not with the team. I posted a link in some other post about 7-10 days ago.

Well I hope he enjoyed playing QB when he was able to play it. I guess playing QB is the most important thing to him.

You Had Me At Hello &.....We Will Win In Denton In Due Time.

Thanks, charlie nt73 for your post. We hear ya'!

Yet maybe its more of a thing that most of us have all been guilty of just having a bit "too much" green in our blood and (thus) a reason we "ALL" want this thing to work out & be successful so damn much in Denton?

We all want this thing up in Denton to be successful for everyone's sake starting with Rick V, the Athletic Dept. Staff who have had to take it on the chin probably much too often from way too many of us (and I'll fess' up....with me toward the top of that list at times)..............we all want this thing to work so much for our bright, innovative and energetic Head Football Coach Todd Dodge (one who has inspired many of us who followed all this for decades to not give up with Mean Green football and that positive thinking and positive doing will soon reign); we want things to work out for Coach Mendoza, too. Put yourselves in his shoes, folks? Would you want more than 5 games before you made it to the Mean Green Day Court of www.GoMeanGreen.com? I sure as hell would (and I'd bet 99.0% of you would, too).

Most of us have made comments about Dickey's recruiting. I think the consensus of that is, though, that Coach DD did recruit some fine D1-A football players, but I think many of us have also said he just didn't recruit the volume of those kind of athletes we needed to win at the NCAA D1-A level and even beyond the Sun Belt Conference (which is what most of us will call real progress for Mean Green football). I've see a few Mean Green football games, too, charlie nt 73, and I just happen to have a gut feeling that the former UT starting QB and now UNT Head Football Coach is just what the doctor ordered for the University of North Texas............

................ in fact, I'm like SUMG in a post of his yesterday inasmuch as I, too, wish UNT officials would extend Todd Dodges contract now*, make his buyout clause much larger than it is, as well as give him and all his assistant coaches raises to match schools we'd all like our program to be associated with AND........hellsbells! give everyone in the UNT Athletic Dept. raises, too, because they have had to put up & endure way too much bullshit from many of us on www.GoMeanGreen.com. Do any of us get daily appraisings of all of our jobs on an internet message board read by more than anyone of you would believe? (Ask Harry about that one--it staggers the mind). I've been wrong about too many of my own personal assessments of things going on in Denton, BUT...............like most of you, I also do know what I want our program to look like nationally versus the majority of schools in all of NCAA D1-A, too.

GMG!

* When Dallas Cowboy's HFC Tom Landry and his coaching staff all thought they were going to be fired after the 1965 season, "then" Dallas Cowboy owner Clint Murchison shocked the entire sports world and signed Coach Landry to an unprecedented 10 year contract. Folks, that is the kind of confidence many of us wish we would show Coach Todd Dodge.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I can't believe the false sense of out rage over message board posts.

This is statisically the worst defense in UNT history. Roughly the same group of players are doing worst against the same teams they played last year.

With that being said, the offense is much improved and future recruiting is looking up, so maybe things will work out. In the mean time everyone who wanted this coach has to take it on the chin until he proves he can do better than the last guy.

I can't believe the false sense of out rage over message board posts.

This is statisically the worst defense in UNT history. Roughly the same group of players are doing worst against the same teams they played last year.

With that being said, the offense is much improved and future recruiting is looking up, so maybe things will work out. In the mean time everyone who wanted this coach has to take it on the chin until he proves he can do better than the last guy.

Shouldn't We Wait Till The End of Season When All The Results Are In Before We Start Comparing Statistics?

The fact that this entire coaching job is being assessed after only 5 games is what is out-ragous to many.

Hellsbells! DD Ball didn't usually begin its annual miraculous "SBC Ascension" until after he had been in Denton several years with 3 win, 2 win, 3 win and 5 wins seaons before the SBC became an official new conference of (basially) unknown schools (to many of us); and then those bowl years in the fledgling SBC (hardly the SBC of today, either) we would start those first few SBC seasons at 0 & 6, 1 & 5 or 2 & 4, etc, etc, etc, causing some to think we were on the verge of being the next Notre Dame after all those miserable OOC beginnings and then we would (somehow) march thru a new league and win that new league's football championship....

.....BTW and as a reminder--not one of those teams ranked in or even near the Top 25. Sadly enought, that level of Bottom 25 "so-called" success seemed to do it for so many on GMG.com who seem to (presently) be off the DodgeBall Bandwagon, but we all know how fickle Texas college football fans can be, now don't we? (And with that I defter to the "FIRE COACH FRAN" crowd at TAMU as TAMU now stands at the top of the Big 12 South at 2 and 0).

Also, a hardy handful should be reminded that UNT made these miraculous runs thru a "just born" conference of throw-togethers and.................... when UNT had a 6 year head-start of being back at the NCAA D1-A level over most of the rest of the SBC (many of whom just out of NCAA D1-AA. Truth be known, UNT should have been building a true NCAA D1-A program much better than any upstart D1-A SBC program in the league's inception. Anyone really want to question just how bad a league the SBC was in its beginnings? The 2001 SBC versus the 2007 SBC is almost apples and organges and I defer to OOC games schools (except UNT) were winning even during some bowl years). If FAU had officially been in our league, their wins over us would have probably kept us out of at least 2 NO's Bowl games.

Yet again..............when has any football program in the history of the NCAA been judged for its total worth after 5 "freakin'" football games? Sorta' makes some on this message board lose a bit of credibility for what their apparent knowledge of college football at its highest division is truly all about. :(

Did any of you ever get this kind of assessments of doom and gloom from outsiders for your own jobs as quickly as a hardy handful who would not fill 1/3'rd of Section A or Section G (the 2 skinny sections on the Press Box Side of Fouts Field)?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

WORST DEFENSE IN SCHOOL HISTORY. Five games or not, that's what it is.

UL-L, UL-M, & WKY those are the games we are suppose to win. Five games into to the season or not, those are the games we were picked to win.

I'm not saying we should support the coach/team/school, but stop with excuses.

WORST DEFENSE IN SCHOOL HISTORY. Five games or not, that's what it is.

UL-L, UL-M, & WKY those are the games we are suppose to win. Five games into to the season or not, those are the games we were picked to win.

I'm not saying we should support the coach/team/school, but stop with excuses.

And your main point that will inspire all the potential recruits and family's of those potential UNT recruits who (according to former UNT Coach Ramone Archie) do (in fact) read message boards like www.GoMeanGreen.com?

Anyone with some solutions after 5 games, too? I think by now we all know what the problems are (as documented on www.GoMeanGreen.com)? :)