Heroes/goats

mad dog

I'm a bit too exhausted still to want to talk about this game, but it was just so disappointing on so many levels. Maybe it was because I felt that we could surely step up and play a team that is more on our level. Maybe because I my expectations were unfairly blown out of proportion by a 600 yard passing game. Whatever the reason, I had that old familiar Dickey-Ball feeling last night. The only difference was how hard the guys were trying.

Heroes:

Jamario Thomas - Looked like the Jamario of old all game long. Why he didn't get 15 more carries, I have no idea. Must have been the hamstring. Because that was the one thing the defense kept giving us, was the run.

The new recruit section - Actually led the Alumni side in cheering for the last defensive series.

Maurice Holman - If we could clone this guy and put ten more just like him on the field, we'd have a great defense. He was everywhere.

Goats:

(get ready)

Offensive line - We all knew this would be the weakness of the team, and it is showing. If one guy started making plays, another would hold, clip, false start, or just whiff on blocking assignments. I'll get to Daniel Meager later, but the big guys up front did a pretty good job of digging holes all night long.

Ron Mendoza - Were it not for a half dozen drops by FAU's receivers, there's no way this is even a game going into the fourth quarter. On every single play, there were options available. No pass rush all night long. Scare blitzing. Shaky coverage. Tackling was better than last week, but playcalling really wasn't. I have no idea why Schnelly didn't throw deep more. The deep routes were open all game long. Just seems to me like if you're not going to blitz, you should play guys deep to let your corners take some chances jumping routes. It didn't show on the scoreboard, but this was not a very good defensive performance.

Brock Stickler - Aside from the one miracle catch (?) there at the end, he dropped everything thrown his way. In key situations, too.

The bubble screen and quick throw - There's a saying in football about going to the well one too many times. This well was bone dry by the end of the game, and nearly got Korey Washington killed.

Daniel Meager - I don't really count OU, because there's not too much you can tell against a team that much better than you. I think he had a stellar game against SMU. I think he hit a rough patch this game. The only two times he threw deep this game, it was forced. I believe that Brandon Jackson didn't do enough to play DB and keep the ball from getting picked off. But, then again, he's a WR, not a DB. The picks all fall on Daniel's shoulders. To me, he has had one bad game and one good one. How he responds in the next few weeks will tell me more about where he stands in the long term. But, as far as last night, it was bad.

Punt protection - Just awful.

Officiating - Losers complain about officiating. Well, we lost, so I can complain. I want to see in the NCAA manual where it says that a partially blocked punt can't be muffed. If that's on the books, it needs to be taken off in a hurry. Wherever the opposing team touches the ball on a punt, it should be considered a live ball.

Final Thoughts

In a game like this, all we had to do was keep from dumb mistakes, and it should have been an easy victory. But we couldn't do much right. The one thing I think FAU's defense gave us was the run, and, when given a chance, I don't think Jamario did too bad. He's got the speed still, and should have gotten 10-15 more carries, especially with the passing game struggling.

FAU had us scouted perfectly. They were jumping routes all night and were in perfect position. They knew how to stop what we wanted to do and, once they figured it out, they locked down on us like a pitt bull's jaws. They were getting pressure with their front four (front THREE!!!) and played a terrific game.

I think Medpilot said it best. I still believe Daniel Meager is the best quarterback on this team. I'm not going to debate stats with anyone, that's just how I feel about things. But I think he should have been pulled last night in the fourth quarter. He was shell-shocked and gun shy, probably from getting hit or sacked and picked off whenever he tried to throw deep. He's our starter and I support him, but I think you can ruin kids by playing them like Coach Dodge did last night. Leaving him out there when he's hearing footsteps on every play is setting up your rattled QB for failure. I understand loyalty, but in my own uneducated opinion, I thought the player would have better been served by letting another guy finish out the game. Let Daniel get back on track for Arkansas.

I found myself caught up in overinflated expectations based on last game's offense, and thinking that we should be able to at least match that going forward. I need to understand that this is still a transition year. I just feel like we've been "rebuilding" since 2004, and I'm more than anxious to actually have something to feel good about on Sunday morning. Like the team does. Like the coaches do. Like all of you do.

Just a win.

Please?

Illuvious, I like some of your post. However, The best QB on the team is Giovanni Vizza, problem is that he is only 18 years old and right out of high school. Unless you see him day after day in practice, you would not know that. If you ask the team, giovanni is just waiting his turn because TD promised Meager that he would be his guy and give him every chance to succeed. One or two more losses, and Vizza is in the game for the rest of the season. Giovanni is a tremendous talent with sick competitiveness and a proven winner. He just needs his opportunity at the next level.

Welcome to the Board. I know you've been on for a while, but I just haven't seen you post yet.

I think Giovanni obviously has talent. Nevada wouldn't have offered him if he didn't. I don't think WE would have offered him if he didn't. I don't think that fact can be disputed, at least at this point.

But I will only go off of what I can see. You might have watched him play, heck, you might know the guy personally. But I don't. All I have seen of the guy is one touchdown pass and a lot of high school film. When and if he steps in and plays well for North Texas, I might be more inclined to agree with you. One day, he might be our starter, and I'll support him. But that is not this day.

However, if Vizza happens to be the starter someday and some young upstart kid full of P&V comes knocking for the starting job, I'll probably say exactly the same thing. It goes both ways.

Just my $.02.

I found myself caught up in overinflated expectations based on last game's offense, and thinking that we should be able to at least match that going forward. I need to understand that this is still a transition year.

I don't understand how you can feel that you had over-inflated expectations about our offense. We gained 466 total yards last night. Read that again....and again. We moved the ball at will in the first half and had 2 great possessions in the second half (the very first where we got a field goal and the very last). In between those two second half drives we struggled, but good gosh!....in comparison to DD-ball, we are an offensive juggernaut! Mistakes killed us last night. We played like a young team--when we had them on the ropes, we failed to finish the knockout. The 2 end zone picks came after good, sustained offensive drives. The second led to a huge momentum shift and took the wind out of everyone, players and fans alike.

I came away from this game even more encouraged for the future than before. It is apparent that we have a bona-fide offensive genius roaming our sideline. The defense was better (mainly when Gilmore was in) and will continue to get better. We need help on both lines and Dodge's recruiting is helping to solve that. Add Riley Dodge to this mix and we'll have a stud QB who really runs this offense. The future is bright....

Jamario Thomas - Looked like the Jamario of old all game long. Why he didn't get 15 more carries, I have no idea. Must have been the hamstring. Because that was the one thing the defense kept giving us, was the run.

Two words for you: Todd Dodge. It's pass 1st, pass 2nd, pass 3rd, pass 4th. Run every now and then and try to catch the D off guard, hoping for a homerun ball. I'll give it to Dodge, it worked once last night.

Everyone claims Dodge will take what the defense gives him, including the running game, but if it was an important part of the gameplan he would've done everything in his power to get Cam Montgomery more reps the last 2 games. Bottom line, the running game means very little in this system and the tailback's first priority is to protect the QB.

Bottom line, the running game means very little in this system and the tailback's first priority is to protect the QB.

Jamario Thomas 14 carries for 117 yards.

He better block for the QB. Especially if Venegas is on the Line, because he doesn't block.

How long is it before every sbc team figures out the offense? I didn't get to go to the game and I did not get to hear it, but just by reading the thoughts of some of you it seems as though FAU figured it out in one half of football. Don't get me wrong, I love this fun offense and I love that we are scoring points. I am also on board with TD and am excited about the future. I just wonder how long before the offense is no longer stunning to any opposing teams?

How long is it before every sbc team figures out the offense? I didn't get to go to the game and I did not get to hear it, but just by reading the thoughts of some of you it seems as though FAU figured it out in one half of football. Don't get me wrong, I love this fun offense and I love that we are scoring points. I am also on board with TD and am excited about the future. I just wonder how long before the offense is no longer stunning to any opposing teams?

UNT is putting up points right now, and these aren't even Dodge's players.

I independently had the same thought as filmerj. If I'm TD, the first thing I'm doing today is looking at film to see how FAU adjusted and took away our offense after two quarters of football. If it is our personnel or conditioning, that is one thing; if it was their defensive scheme, that is quite another.

Jamario Thomas 14 carries for 117 yards.

He better block for the QB. Especially if Venegas is on the Line, because he doesn't block.

Thanks for proving the point Illuvius already made in his topic.

He was right on the money, Jmo should've touched the ball 25 times with those kind of numbers. Over 10ypc and he doesn't get 20 touches??

Officiating - Losers complain about officiating. Well, we lost, so I can complain. I want to see in the NCAA manual where it says that a partially blocked punt can't be muffed. If that's on the books, it needs to be taken off in a hurry. Wherever the opposing team touches the ball on a punt, it should be considered a live ball.

SECTION 3. Scrimmage Kicks

Behind the Neutral Zone—ARTICLE 1

Approved Ruling 6-3-1

"III. Players of both teams, attempting to recover a blocked kick behind

Team A’s scrimmage line, force the ball across the neutral zone.

RULING: After a scrimmage kick has crossed the neutral zone, no

Team A player may touch the ball until it has been touched by an

opponent."

The refs definitely got the call wrong. It should have been UNT's ball.

Thanks for proving the point Illuvius already made in his topic.

He was right on the money, Jmo should've touched the ball 25 times with those kind of numbers. Over 10ypc and he doesn't get 20 touches??

I don't know why Jmo didn't get more carries. He looked awesome last night. At Southlake, the offense has always been balanced and TD has been happy to run the ball when the defense commits to stopping the pass.

36% of Jmo's yards came on that 42yd touchdown run in the 2nd qtr. I'd like to see his numbers for the 2nd half. I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but I'm sure there is a good reason for him not getting more touches.

SECTION 3. Scrimmage Kicks

Behind the Neutral Zone—ARTICLE 1

Approved Ruling 6-3-1

"III. Players of both teams, attempting to recover a blocked kick behind

Team A’s scrimmage line, force the ball across the neutral zone.

RULING: After a scrimmage kick has crossed the neutral zone, no

Team A player may touch the ball until it has been touched by an

opponent."

The refs definitely got the call wrong. It should have been UNT's ball.

You hi-lited the wrong part. "After a scrimmage kick has crossed the neutral zone" is the pertinent part here.

The FAU Defensive End made a bonehead play that was thankfully for him nullified by the fact that he was in the offensive backfield, even if only by a few feet. Had he been on the defensive side of the ball (beyond the neutral zone) it would have been a "Leon Lett" play.