Watching Slc Vs. Rockwall

MeanMag

If he doesn't have the size and strength to play D1 ball, why is he the #58 recruit in the state? There are only 57 kids in Texas with the right size to play D1 and Riley is best of the rest?

He was the 5A offensive player of the year and QB'ed a state champion last year. 5A football in Texas is the best competition you can get on a weekly basis. He can throw the football, and he is smart and quick. I bet we could find a spot for him without getting caught up in if he's 5'10, or 5'11, or 6'0. Like that makes a difference. It would be nice if he were 6'5, but he seems to be doing fine as it is.

flame away, but I think there's something to this part of the statement. I've seen him at various events. He's not a big guy... at all. Not a chance he's 6'. He'd be lucky to be 5'11. Like it or not, he's going to have issues getting the ball over 6'5" guys with their hands in the air.

And here come the "what about Doug Flutie" comments...

What about Drew Brees?

I can think of no examples of short guys who didn't make the NFL I never heard of - the logic is fool proof!

True, he's not. Beating Rockwall and other suburban schools like it hardly qualify as collegiate level. Again, Mack Brown was recruiting him as an athlete for a reason. He won't be big enough or strong enough to play FCS/D-I ball at QB. He would have stood on Texas' sideline for most of his career before finally getting on the kickoff team or going in to play safety during blowouts like Mack has done with other similar "athletes" in the past. We can only hope his TD can admit that to himself over the next few years. Otherwise...we'll have problems as he sits legitimate college QBs in favor of his little boy.

Your logic is amazing.

Beating Rockwall or other suburban schools hardly qualifies as collegiate level. Therefore, we cannot take into consideration any games against suburban schools in assessing the talent of a high school player. Ignore all games against Plano, Plano East, Lake Highlands, Duncanville, Southlake, Allen, etc., etc., etc.

Riley cannot play FCS-level football. Therefore, we can assume that Mack Brown is an idiot for attempting to waste a scholarship on Riley. Or was he just doing that as a favor to Todd? And we can assume that the various scouting services are idiots for ranking him among the top players in the region and state.

True, he's not. Beating Rockwall and other suburban schools like it hardly qualify as collegiate level. Again, Mack Brown was recruiting him as an athlete for a reason. He won't be big enough or strong enough to play FCS/D-I ball at QB. He would have stood on Texas' sideline for most of his career before finally getting on the kickoff team or going in to play safety during blowouts like Mack has done with other similar "athletes" in the past. We can only hope his TD can admit that to himself over the next few years. Otherwise...we'll have problems as he sits legitimate college QBs in favor of his little boy.

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING? The kid was the State 5-A PLAYER of the YEAR, and has a STATE TITLE, and you have questions about his ability to play QB at the Division-I level somewhere? I guess guys like Doug Flutie and Senaca Wallace show how tough it is for shorter guys to play in college... Let's not take into account that this kid has faced the best defenses at his level, played hurt, sick, and came back into games to win them? Nope, no character or skill needed there? Let's just be real for a moment... There is NO WAY a kid with Riley's talent sits on the sidelines in ANY college program? Riley would have to play another position with some programs, sure... but he would certainly be on the field. Most Division-I programs would kill to get him as a QB, just not a program like UT. As for coming to North Texas... I'll take a kid with that kind of heart over most of the larger QB's out there?

Jeesh....

GMG!!!

Talked to an LSU-grad co-worker this morning; he saw the game and was impressed with Riley and the others, like Cantu. Too damned bad we can't get him away from Oregon.

In watching that game I couldn't help but think that I might be watching the precursor to our game tomorrow night with FAU. Don't know if I could take a game like that without some additional Shiner; think I'll throw a few extra cans in the cooler.

Riley cannot play FCS-level football. Therefore, we can assume that Mack Brown is an idiot for attempting to waste a scholarship on Riley.

At QB, no he can't. And, again, that's why Mack didn't recruit him to play QB. Finally, rivals.com and other recruiting services list him as athlete and not QB. He's not going to get a look at QB anywhere but UNT. Everyone but the Southlake kool-aiders that post here know that.

But, as Howard Schnellenberger said, "The only variable is time."

We'll see. But, don't be upset when the kid isn't behind center. Be upset if he is, we're losing, and a legitimate QB is sitting on the bench.

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING? The kid was the State 5-A PLAYER of the YEAR, and has a STATE TITLE, and you have questions about his ability to play QB at the Division-I level somewhere? I guess guys like Doug Flutie and Senaca Wallace show how tough it is for shorter guys to play in college... Let's not take into account that this kid has faced the best defenses at his level, played hurt, sick, and came back into games to win them? Nope, no character or skill needed there? Let's just be real for a moment... There is NO WAY a kid with Riley's talent sits on the sidelines in ANY college program? Riley would have to play another position with some programs, sure... but he would certainly be on the field. Most Division-I programs would kill to get him as a QB, just not a program like UT. As for coming to North Texas... I'll take a kid with that kind of heart over most of the larger QB's out there?

Jeesh....

GMG!!!

I agree with you for the most part, but..... did you just go to the Seneca Wallace well?? That has to be a first around here, right?? Well played, my friend. Well played.

At QB, no he can't. And, again, that's why Mack didn't recruit him to play QB. Finally, rivals.com and other recruiting services list him as athlete and not QB. He's not going to get a look at QB anywhere but UNT. Everyone but the Southlake kool-aiders that post here know that.

We'll see. But, don't be upset when the kid isn't behind center. Be upset if he is, we're losing, and a legitimate QB is sitting on the bench.

Real Lonnie Finch where are you!?

Talked to an LSU-grad co-worker this morning; he saw the game and was impressed with Riley and the others, like Cantu. Too damned bad we can't get him away from Oregon.

In watching that game I couldn't help but think that I might be watching the precursor to our game tomorrow night with FAU. Don't know if I could take a game like that without some additional Shiner; think I'll throw a few extra cans in the cooler.

We don't need a game like that. I'm not worried about what our offense can do since Dodge will make changes to whatever he gets, but it's defense that concerns me. I hope I don't see the same schemes from that game, vs OU and vs SMU. I wanna see some better tackling too.

You are making pretty bold assumptions. Kids grow a bit from the age of 17/18 to 22, so I think he is far from maturing physically. The same lineman he is lining up behind now will be similar in size to the young men he lines up behind in the future. It is just assinine to make statements such as, "At QB, no he can't." when he has yet to set foot on campus and give it a try.

I also find amusing your comment, "He's not going to get a look at QB anywhere but UNT." Really, seems like a lot of schools had interest in him besides NT and UT.

A Brief List of Successful "Short" College QB's:

Flutie

Kevin Sweeney

Major Applewhite

Drew Tate

Drew Brees

You could even argue that our own Mitch Maher was too small for college ball, but I seem to recall TD coaching him to a near 3,000 yard season a few years back.

That doesn't answer my question. Okay, you don't believe he can play QB at FCS level. I do, but that's an honest disagreement. Some people believed the Cowboys should have drafted Tony Mandarich instead of Troy Aikman. There was debated over Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. Honest football disagreements. However, you previously stated:

"He would have stood on Texas' sideline for most of his career before finally getting on the kickoff team or going in to play safety during blowouts like Mack has done with other similar "athletes" in the past."

If that is the case, then why did Mack Brown offer him a scholarship? Is Brown a poor judge of talent, or was he deliberately wasting a scholarship? And why are rivals.com and other recruiting services listing him at all if he is not FCS-caliber?

It's not a case of drinking any kind of flavored drink (side note: it wasn't Kool-Aid they drank in Jonestown, it was Flavor Aid, but I guess Kool-Aid sounded better to the press) to believe that this kid can play Division I-A quarterback. His accomplishments at Southlake make it legitimate for anyone to hold that opinion, and last night's seven-touchdown performance did nothing to discourage that thought. You disagree - fair enough. But that doesn't mean those that do believe that Riley is an FCS-worthy QB are somehow delusional or blindly following a false guru to destruction, and you do a disservice to your own argument and needlessly insult others by making such suggestions.

"He's not going to get a look at QB anywhere but UNT"

I am 100% sure that this statement is false. He may not get a shot at QB playing for the perennial top 10 college teams. But, I am damn sure that there is at least several BCS schools that would give him a shot at QB, if Riley had shown any interest at all in their programs.

First of all, I don't think a recent NCAA National Championship Football program (UT-Austin) has even 1 scholarship to throw away on "maybe" athletes who "might" play somewhere.

Second of all, I still stand amazed at those apparently still stuck in our recent past, ie, those who thought (barely) walking thru a (then) throw-together conference & going to that leagues bowl game un-ranked to play another unranked school is their version of NCAA D1-A nirvana. Granted, that era served a definite purpose--mostly to get our football program's head above water and to keep from completely going under and drowning, but its high time for Mean Green football to take the next step foward and upward (the rankings latter).

PS: Former NT Athletic Hall of Famer and NFL All Pro'er Cedric Hardman was (as I recall the story) only about 6'0" 180 pounds when he arrived at UNT. Before he graduated from NT and became an NFL (#1?) draft choice, he had grown to 6 foot 5 inches and 240 (give or take) pounds.

Riley Dodge is a winner at Texas' highest level (5A) and he will be a winner no matter where he is; we all hope Papa Dodge will be recruiting the kind of lineman that will help any of our future backfield in Mean Green Country look good.

PS II: The giant letters are for the many of us who have sat in Fouts Field for 3, 4 and more decades who have a terminal case of eye-strain. :rolleyes:

I WILL LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING MANY OF YOU AT FOUTS FIELD TO WATCH UNT KICK FAU'S ARSE!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'll admit it. I drink the SLC kool-aid. However, I've seen the three QB's before RD and he's is as good as any of them. BTW one starts at Mizzou and one is the back-up at Alabama. This kid is the real deal with tremendous heart and talent. As with the others, he makes his teammates better and I sure that is leadership training received from TD. Will he start at UNT? Lot's of things happen during an athlete's career, but you can be sure of one thing, TD will start the QB that gives the team the best chance to win, and that doesn't necessarily mean the best QB.

UNT count your blessings instead of slamming your recruits. (You know who you are). BTW, being positive about your team is also one thing fans will learn from TD and, it's contagious!

Concerning SLC winning the state championship, they have some big shoes to fill, but they stand on the shoulders of giants. Granted the championship streak has to end some time, but counting them out this early is crazy. They just played heads-up with a super team from Miami and had 5 turnovers and a bad punt snap. As mentioned earlier, they are seldom perceived as the most talented team on the field, but somehow they succeed.

Go Mean Green

Go Dragons

I'll admit it. I drink the SLC kool-aid. However, I've seen the three QB's before RD and he's is as good as any of them. BTW one starts at Mizzou and one is the back-up at Alabama. This kid is the real deal with tremendous heart and talent. As with the others, he makes his teammates better and I sure that is leadership training received from TD. Will he start at UNT? Lot's of things happen during an athlete's career, but you can be sure of one thing, TD will start the QB that gives the team the best chance to win, and that doesn't necessarily mean the best QB.

UNT count your blessings instead of slamming your recruits. (You know who you are). BTW, being positive about your team is also one thing fans will learn from TD and, it's contagious!

Concerning SLC winning the state championship, they have some big shoes to fill, but they stand on the shoulders of giants. Granted the championship streak has to end some time, but counting them out this early is crazy. They just played heads-up with a super team from Miami and had 5 turnovers and a bad punt snap. As mentioned earlier, they are seldom perceived as the most talented team on the field, but somehow they succeed.

Go Mean Green

Go Dragons

:thumbsup:

Welcome To Mean Green Country, Green Squared!

PS: Will we see you at venerable Fouts Field tomorrow for the beginning of what many of us feel will be the most exciting era since Hayden Fry was in town?

I haven't read all this thread , but I think I've read enough...

Would of Riley played QB at UT ?? No , they can get just about any QB in the country and if Riley has the same talent as some kid who is 6'5 230pds , guess who's playing.

With that being said , Drew Brees was told he wasn't big enough to play QB at UT by the coaches..... How's that working for him??