Evyn Roman

tommyp

The poor kid cannot cover a beached whale. I give him credit for his effort but he plays 15-20 yards off the reciever. This is not JUCO San Mateo buddy, either step up or turn it in! And that is not the worst part of it all. Yes we did go 99 yards on that drive but on 2 seperate occassions he called for fair catches at the 20 and let the ball land right behind him during punt returns. This could of been detrimental if the SMU defense was not so horrible. There has to be someone better we can but pack to return punts. Sooner or later this kid is going to kill us in key conference games!

On a good note, the offense looks great! I think they will be very explosive come conference time! Our defense had signs of improvement (big hits, deflections, int's, run defense, etc) but it is still miles from okay! I see this thing coming around but we HAVE to do something about our DB play or else every team we play will torch us on the pass!!!

GO MEAN GREEN

The poor kid cannot cover a beached whale. I give him credit for his effort but he plays 15-20 yards off the reciever. This is not JUCO San Mateo buddy, either step up or turn it in! And that is not the worst part of it all. Yes we did go 99 yards on that drive but on 2 seperate occassions he called for fair catches at the 20 and let the ball land right behind him during punt returns. This could of been detrimental if the SMU defense was not so horrible. There has to be someone better we can but pack to return punts. Sooner or later this kid is going to kill us in key conference games!

On a good note, the offense looks great! I think they will be very explosive come conference time! Our defense had signs of improvement (big hits, deflections, int's, run defense, etc) but it is still miles from okay! I see this thing coming around but we HAVE to do something about our DB play or else every team we play will torch us on the pass!!!

GO MEAN GREEN

I was waiting for this to come up. Really, you can't put all of this on him. We are getting no defensive pressure. He made a tackle where he up-ended the offensive player. Might have been one of the best hits of the night. He chased down a receiver to the 2 freaking yard line, when the rest of our defense was sucking wind because they got burned so bad and he was on the opposite sideline. I don't know if anyone remembers that play, you know, the one where their WR caught it and froze the db in their tracks and out ran the rest of the defense.

If all of our players had his heart we could be scary.

Edited by MeanMag

GO MEAN GREEN

I assume you can cover a beached whale? Oh and I like how you place all the blame on one guy... you are a natural Joe Theisman ( I don't like him as analyst because he is an idiot ). You know, you need to go if you are not going to support one or any of our football team players!

It's easy to call out a player on a message board. Give the guy a break , if he's not our best option then our coaching staff is the one who should be called out. If he is our best option , what can you do ?? Be Glad he's here or it could be even worse.

A DB's best friend is DL pressure , so he's not exactly getting help and we seem to be playing back soft ( which would be a coach's call)

The kid hustles from what I've seen and is giving it 100%. 2 games in is not enough time to already want someone gone. Things will get better, Hopefully the WHOLE D as a team & staff.

Edited by NT03

I do support our team but I am a realist. I do not know about you but I want to win! I am sick of our fans saying "Dodge will save the day" lets give everyone a second, third, fourth chance. "atleast they gave ter all". Do you think they say that at TCU, Texas, Tech, etc? If we want to start winning we need to start thinking like winners. I might be a little harsh but after seeing the past two games I just do not have any confidence in the kid, especially returning punts. He did make a fantastic play on the stop at the 2 yardline but we need to face the facts. I do not blame him for everything. Our whole team made mistakes..

Fitgeralds drop in the open field that would of put us up 21-10

Meagers bad throws

Our stupid defensive penalties

These all played huge rolls in the loss.

I do support our team but I am a realist. I do not know about you but I want to win! I am sick of our fans saying "Dodge will save the day" lets give everyone a second, third, fourth chance. "atleast they gave ter all". Do you think they say that at TCU, Texas, Tech, etc? If we want to start winning we need to start thinking like winners. I might be a little harsh but after seeing the past two games I just do not have any confidence in the kid, especially returning punts. He did make a fantastic play on the stop at the 2 yardline but we need to face the facts. I do not blame him for everything. Our whole team made mistakes..

Fitgeralds drop in the open field that would of put us up 21-10

Meagers bad throws

Our stupid defensive penalties

These all played huge rolls in the loss.

Gary Patterson started out at TCU 6-8 in his 1st 14 games( Including a loss to IAA NorthwesternSt.). We all want to win right now too , but things do take time. Now look @ Patterson's Frogs , something we want to model ourselves after.

Edited by NT03

Yes we did go 99 yards on that drive but on 2 seperate occassions he called for fair catches at the 20 and let the ball land right behind him during punt returns.

You're kidding right? The two "fair catches you're referring to" were textbook situations where you DON'T field the punt. On one of them he was standing on our 10 and the other one he was standing on near the 20 but had two SMU players standing almost nose to nose with him as the ball came down. On BOTH occasions he wisely got away from a ball that in 95% of situations rolls into the endzone for a touchback.

You can look for places to place the blame for last night...and there are plenty...but this aint one of em.

I assume you can cover a beached whale? Oh and I like how you place all the blame on one guy... you are a natural Joe Theisman ( I don't like him as analyst because he is an idiot ). You know, you need to go if you are not going to support one or any of our football team players!

Don't pull this juvenile crap of if you criticize the team your not a fan. That is utter BS. Not everything is happy go lucky as many want it to appear, but the first two games has shown the Defense especially the DBs to be pretty bad in most instances, with Roamn unfortunately having his name called out in both games. Just because there is criticism does not mean someone is less a fan then some of you high and mighties.

Does Roman need to go? NO because he is a new Mean Green Player just like the Fr.!!

Edited by untbowler

People are entitled to their opinions, even if you don't like them.

My opinion:

I saw great speed on returns, as well as hustling downfield to tackle a guy at the 2 yard line. I'll take a six pack of kids with that kind of heart any day of the week.

You're kidding right? The two "fair catches you're referring to" were textbook situations where you DON'T field the punt. On one of them he was standing on our 10 and the other one he was standing on near the 20 but had two SMU players standing almost nose to nose with him as the ball came down. On BOTH occasions he wisely got away from a ball that in 95% of situations rolls into the endzone for a touchback.

You can look for places to place the blame for last night...and there are plenty...but this aint one of em.

Your wrong, yoy never call for a fair catch on the 20 and do not field it. If the SMU players are in his face that is fine. He can catch the ball and they do not touch him. I did not know you can get tackled during a fair catch? I will give you the first one, he was about on the 14 and the kick was great. The second was was not good! Luckily our offense turned it into a score but 99/100 times that would have killed us. If he is scared to field the ball then he does not need to be back there.

anyway, I do not want to cause a argument, we are all in this for the Mean Green. I just thought it was a fair point!

GMG

Guest JohnDenver

Roman definitely has a good attitude and plays all out... I like his demeanor. He does things that annoy me, but I think it is correctable. EVERY CB was giving up yardage last night. Roman ran down a guy from the OTHERSIDE of the field to prevent the long TD. That was pretty impressive.

Roman definitely has a good attitude and plays all out... I like his demeanor. He does things that annoy me, but I think it is correctable. EVERY CB was giving up yardage last night. Roman ran down a guy from the OTHERSIDE of the field to prevent the long TD. That was pretty impressive.

good point

I was waiting for this to come up. Really, you can't put all of this on him. We are getting no defensive pressure. He made a tackle where he up-ended the offensive player. Might have been one of the best hits of the night. He chased down a receiver to the 2 freaking yard line, when the rest of our defense was sucking wind because they got burned so bad and he was on the opposite sideline. I don't know if anyone remembers that play, you know, the one where their WR caught it and froze the db in their tracks and out ran the rest of the defense.

If all of our players had his heart we could be scary.

Man do I remember it! Honestly, tons of us (including I) bashed Roman last week, for no good reason other than to pick on someone. Guy got burned by OU, but not for lack of effort, but because he was trying to cover basically an NFL receiver.

I COMPLETELY changed my opinion about Roman at this game. Was he perfect? No, but neither was our entire offense or defense. Stop kicking the guy in the nads people. The guy HUSTLES like a son of a bitch. The play where he chased down that receiver and yanked him to the ground by the shoes was impressive as HELL. The punts that he let go by when they falling into wihin the 10 yard line were textbook calls. You DONT return those. If you dont understand this, please go google "football" and read a little. Somebody please tell me how Roman blew this game for us and I'll shut up...

Emmitt is right, Roman did the right thing on both of those.

Football is such a team game, it takes everyone, that is why Dodge emphasizes family and looking each other in the eye and committing to giving their best at all times. One guy can't be a scapegoat, and nobody on this team deserves to GO if they are giving all they have.

If I remember right Roman didn't sign until late June, so he wasn't there for any of the spring practices. Im not sure how many actual practices he had before he even suited up for us. His reward for winning the starting job in week 1 ??? Malcolm Kelly!!! Best reciever we have played against in recent years, will be one of the top 3 WRs taken in next years draft. The kid is probably still learning the defense , ill never bash on a guy who hustles like that.

The guy has heart and speed, but lacks size. There is always a mismatch with him and the receiver he covers. He will always be picked on. He got burned twice that I can remember at OU, but to me, that is forgivable. He did not get burned last night. Sure, some long passes were completed his way, but he made the tackle every time. He wraps up better than others on the team. His weakness is totally his size. Again, he will get picked on every game because he is small. I don't know if we can ask him to do any more. My preference would be to have another CB who is taller, but if we don't, and Roman is the best we have, then our safeties need to step up and a little on his side.

Disagree completely. There was the one where he called a late fair catch and it rolled to our 1 yrd line. If you know, the point of a fair catch is to prevent this from happening. You call a fair catch and then CATCH the ball not let it bounce behind you when you're standing on the 20 yrd line to roll to the one. The kid froze up and panicked. Many ppl around me had a lot to say about this kids abilities, or lack there of. Perhaps he is the fastest on the team right now, but I assure you that when someone faster comes along he will not see much playing time.

If he would have fair caught the one that ended up on the one, you (and your ppl around you that had a lot to say) would be bitching that he fair caught a ball inside the 10 that was clearly going to be a touchback.

You might also want to blame this on the simplistic cover 1 defensive scheme, and throw in Joey Byerly for good measure.

IT'S BEEN TWO WEEKS!

TWO FREAKIN' WEEKS!

Could we at least hold off on the juvenile belly-aching and run-em-out-of-town mentality for just one season? Or are some of you just too impatient to do that? Are you so blinded by your knee-jerk need for immediate satisfaction that you cannot see that in just two games, the new coaches and system have gotten more out of Dan Meager, Casey Fitzgerald, and a lot of these kids than the previous group did in two years?

Let's just run them all out of town, huh? Put in Vizza, but if he loses his opener then cut loose, too? Same for Riley Dodge? And if Coach Dodge doesn't go to a bowl this year, fire him?

Sheesh.

Guest JohnDenver

Disagree completely. There was the one where he called a late fair catch and it rolled to our 1 yrd line. If you know, the point of a fair catch is to prevent this from happening. You call a fair catch and then CATCH the ball not let it bounce behind you when you're standing on the 20 yrd line to roll to the one. The kid froze up and panicked. Many ppl around me had a lot to say about this kids abilities, or lack there of. Perhaps he is the fastest on the team right now, but I assure you that when someone faster comes along he will not see much playing time.

You miss the point of his fair catch hand motion. He KNEW it was over his head... and he knew there was a SHOT that it would go into the endzone if he could slow down the defender.

1) Signal fair catch

2) When ball hits the ground, you hit the defender to slow his down.

3) Stay away from the bouncing ball.

4) Cross fingers and wait

It is the right way to do it when you know it is over your head.

Guest JohnDenver

The guy has heart and speed, but lacks size. There is always a mismatch with him and the receiver he covers. He will always be picked on. He got burned twice that I can remember at OU, but to me, that is forgivable. He did not get burned last night. Sure, some long passes were completed his way, but he made the tackle every time. He wraps up better than others on the team. His weakness is totally his size. Again, he will get picked on every game because he is small. I don't know if we can ask him to do any more. My preference would be to have another CB who is taller, but if we don't, and Roman is the best we have, then our safeties need to step up and a little on his side.

All of our players lack size ;)

Dom Green lacks size. He has the experience though.

Roman got thrust into the starting job at last moment.. Give him another couple weeks to get used to the whole thing ... then start burning effigies. On second thought, don't do that. He plays with heart. I can support that.

I agree.

Roman is not a guy I want to blame last night's loss on. He's playing out there with a ball of fire in his heart, and some smart decision making in the returns, and he was hitting as hard as guys with 3 extra inches and another 50lbs on them. He's a good player, and with some time and the coaches we have, he'll be a great player.

Tommyp, the defense is still jelling right now, the offense is still jelling right now. Heck, the adhesive on the helmet decals is still drying right now. Here's the thing:

Last night showed what kind of improvement we can look for in the team, and that was just a week bounceback from the loss at OU. This isn't the same team that was in Norman last week. This definitely isn't Dickey's team. I didn't like the loss last night, but I am definitely convinced that Dodge and his staff can do great things with this program, and that's just this season. Frankly, I was as happy with last night's loss...almost as much as a win. I know that the coaches will bring the guys in, get them up to speed on their mistakes and have them correct them ASAP. It's not that us bandwagon-Dodge fans expect him to turn around the program instantly, but that we know he can turn it around, and that he will.