This Is Ridiculous

UNTLifer

Not the game, you so called fans.

Dodge arrives to find 5 TE's on scholarship and 3 receivers, no offensive line to speak of and a poor history of recruiting. He brings in arguably our best class in years, starts moving players around, benches our two returning starters on the OL, installs a passing offense with mainly either freshmen or DD's players "recruited" for a running offense and has to face OU in his first game.

Give the man some time to get HIS players and HIS system in place. The OL played better than I thought they would giving the QB time to pass. Only a few of the sacks were on our OL. Either Meager held on to the ball too long or they were coverage sacks. I didn't see us give up even though the game was way out of hand. Have patience folks. We've got a coaching staff that is highly respected and will do a good job, but give them time, support them and the players and realize who we just played.

Dodge arrives to find 5 TE's on scholarship and 3 receivers, no offensive line to speak of and a poor history of recruiting. He brings in arguably our best class in years, starts moving players around, benches our two returning starters on the OL, installs a passing offense with mainly either freshmen or DD's players "recruited" for a running offense and has to face OU in his first game.

Give the man some time to get HIS players and HIS system in place. The OL played better than I thought they would giving the QB time to pass. Only a few of the sacks were on our OL. Either Meager held on to the ball too long or they were coverage sacks. I didn't see us give up even though the game was way out of hand. Have patience folks. We've got a coaching staff that is highly respected and will do a good job, but give them time, support them and the players and realize who we just played.

I agree. Most people are overeacting. It takes time people. I can't recall any situation where a coach was fired (except for Urban Meyer at FL) and the new coach came in and started winning immediately.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Plus, I remember Jimmy Johnson going 1-15....his first season with the Cowboys.

Also, that year that NT beat Tennessee (arguably our biggest win ever)....earlier that season we were beaten by an average Oklahoma State team....61-7.

I'll be at Todd Dodge's radio show Monday night....letting the man know that I STILL BELIEVE IN HIM AND THE MEAN GREEN!

no one has said they don't believe in Dodge, they don't believe in this team, they're not excited about the future.... just that they're mad about being humiliated on national TV to an extent even NT wasn't familiar with. I don't think that's inappropriate.

I believe in Dodge, I'm excited about the future, I'll be there this year and many more.... tonight SUCKED. Tonight infuriated and embarassed me. I expect more. Fair?

Okay--I don't think anyone is calling for Todd Dodge's head. I am confident that he is the man for our program. But there is no excuse for a loss of this proportion. I went to Norman and saw a #1 Oklahoma team beat us 38-10--a drubbing, to be sure, but incomparable to this massacre. Arkansas State hung with Texas tonight, maybe should have beaten them. I am looking up and down at tonight's scoreboard, and no team was beaten worse than our Mean Green. Again, I am not suggesting that coaching changes are in order. All I am asking is--Why?!?

We were whhipped badly. I thought Meager did well considering the def was in our backfield most of the time. This is as bad a loss as I remember - starting following UNT in early 70's, but we have been whipped badly by many teams. OU is big (off Line avg 6ft 7in and 316 lbs) and they are fast. Dodge is a winner, he will review game film, study, fix, and this team will be much better later this year. It hurts, but not as bad as if DD was still at UNT. Firing DD and hiring Dodge tells me a lot about what admin wants to do with this program.....give it time to materialize. I believe we will see a much better game against SMU. I hope so, driving up from Houston and I know others are driving up from Houston as well. GMG

And the question about hiring practically an all HS staff is very valid.

We could have had the Cowboys' coaching staff and it wouldn't of mattered. Could we have played soft zone and ran the ball every down and made the game closer - sure. However, the bottom line is they were bigger, faster and stronger. I like the fact that TD ran his offense the entire game. Our recruiting, as everyone knows, has been horrible the last 3 years. It has and will continue to change and then we'll see the talent level begin to equal out. Then and only then, can a coach begin to game plan a little and try to take advantage of some weakness. But, right now (no matter who is coaching) when NT plays OU, the weakness is NT (in every position)!

...but the question about hiring practically an all HS staff is STILL very valid.

How? If you're going to give TD a year or two or three, then give his entire coaching staff the same. If you want to question TD's decision just to question it, fine. But, we've seen one game and Vince Lombardi couldn't have helped our D tonight. You can't coach against speed, OU has it, we don't! It's not valid until you begin to question whether or not Dodge should be here (unless you aleady do).

Okay--I don't think anyone is calling for Todd Dodge's head. I am confident that he is the man for our program. But there is no excuse for a loss of this proportion. I went to Norman and saw a #1 Oklahoma team beat us 38-10--a drubbing, to be sure, but incomparable to this massacre. Arkansas State hung with Texas tonight, maybe should have beaten them. I am looking up and down at tonight's scoreboard, and no team was beaten worse than our Mean Green. Again, I am not suggesting that coaching changes are in order. All I am asking is--Why?!?

1. New Coach (Hardly any new coach from any level or experience does well in their first game)

2. New System (We've got one year of recruits for this system and three years of recruits (so so at best) from a polar opposite system)

3. A Passing no huddle Offense (When not performing well it stops the clock and gives the other team more chances of scoring)

4. The #8 team in the NATION at one of the toughest stadiums to play at (This is an outstanding team in every position, except qb)

5. Possibly the BEST defense in the nation (Any offense would have a tough time passing the ball against them)

There are other reasons that are slipping my Miller Lite mind right now, but it was basically a perfect storm. And if you think this is the first time that a team could have hung 100 on us your mistaken, someone mentioned taht we took a SBC championship team to Austin and lost 65-0, just 4 points better than tonight. Things are going to get better.

Did anyone else notice that the clock guy was feeling sorry for us and was running the clock when it should have been stopped?

We could have had the Cowboys' coaching staff and it wouldn't of mattered. Could we have played soft zone and ran the ball every down and made the game closer - sure. However, the bottom line is they were bigger, faster and stronger. I like the fact that TD ran his offense the entire game. Our recruiting, as everyone knows, has been horrible the last 3 years. It has and will continue to change and then we'll see the talent level begin to equal out. Then and only then, can a coach begin to game plan a little and try to take advantage of some weakness. But, right now (no matter who is coaching) when NT plays OU, the weakness is NT (in every position)!

I really like that TD ran his offense the entire game, I could not give two sh*ts if were are blown out by 30 points or a hundred as long as we are learning. The post game show was great, the man is very intelligent. I liked when he said something to the effect that there was no point in bunkering down to save the equipment.

Yeah, what he said. :clapping:

In addition, the new uni's looked great. B)

Tasty,

I agree with your point on questioning the hiring of a HS football coach being valid. As for many of TD's staffers being HS coaches, I guess TD was comfortable working with them and those type of coaches were the only kinds he really knew and networked with. I mean sure he probably knew several college coaches but with him being the coach would a lot of them be willing to be an assistant to Dodge, a HS coach? I wouldnt think they would because I doubt that I would do something like that. So I definitely agree with you nonetheless.

Hiring a HS coach is a nonfactor. Coaching is coaching. You think Stoops is a better coach, because he wasn't a high school coach to begin with? Coaching football is coaching football. The speed of the game changes dramatically and you have to learn to recruit. Well, Dodge and staff have proven to me that they can recruit with anyone. Now they just have to adjust to the speed of the game and put their players in position to make plays. Southlake gave up something like 116 points in a 16 game season last year. That tells me that Mendoza can coach. Dodge and the staff just need time. Be patient and support the program like never before.

This was all about the players. Jamario was ineffective because he was tentative all night long until he finally found the bench. Vizza took on more guys than he did when running. Meager looked like the penquin in Happy Feet - tapping all over the backfield. On one series in looked like they scaled down his reads and he actually set up and threw the ball, but the next series he was right back to dancing. It looks we have some good talent in development, but true freshmen are going to be hard pressed by the #8 team in the nation.

I really like that TD ran his offense the entire game, I could not give two sh*ts if were are blown out by 30 points or a hundred as long as we are learning. The post game show was great, the man is very intelligent. I liked when he said something to the effect that there was no point in bunkering down to save the equipment.

I loved it when he said that. This thing is going to take time. In fact, we probably don't win next week at SMU.

Why the hell did Jamario only play the 1st qtr???? That's what I would like to know.

I have to disagree with this - JT is done. Whatever happened he doesn't run like he did his freshman season. He was totally and completely ineffective while he was out there.

I have to disagree with this - JT is done. Whatever happened he doesn't run like he did his freshman season. He was totally and completely ineffective while he was out there.

I don't know how you can call him done when he had no run-blocking for him, none. When he was able to find a hole or break to the outside he always made the first man miss. The run-blocking for this new offense will take time to develop. Look for JT to break out by conference...

Everyone needs to get off of the HS coaching thing. Coaching is coaching. It all depends on the talent you have to work with. Yes the difference in HS, College and Pro is the speed, but there are other factors. In high school, you play with the kids that go to your school. You can't go out (or you are not supposed to) and pick players outside of your district. In college you have to fight other schools in order to get the best. If your program isn't very good, you get the scraps that the big boys leave you. In the pros it is all about the money, the ones with the most tend to do better. If you took the UNT coaching staff and the OU coaching staff and switched them around the results would be the same. In college, its all about the recruiting. TD is no stranger to recruiting. He and his staff just need time to recruit the athletes that are going to make this thing work. Right now they are not going to be able to get the #1 QB or RB in the nation because our program is not Glamorous or as Sexy as UT, OU, Or USC. Their job is to take the best of whats left and teach them to win. They have already proven that they can teach players to win. Look what they did at SLC. Don't judge TD and his staff on where they coached, judge them on how they coached and their results. Its going to take more than just a few years before we can play on the same stage as OU or UT. But if given a chance, I'll bet that TD and his staff will have us winning consistently and ranked as one of the best Mid-Major schools in the nation. Thats how Boise State started and look at them now. Give TD and his staff a chance to teach the Mean Green how to win and I think averyone will be pleased with the results.

I disagree with UNTLifer and Green CO,

Yes coaching football is coaching football but thats where there are levels, pee wee, junior high, hs, college, professional etc. Yes TD knows everything about football probably but its easier said than done. This level is just very advanced than what TD was coaching last year and what he was coaching as the offensive coordinator in the early 90's. If coaching was coaching why couldnt Spurrier and Saban excel in the NFL? There is more schemes, brainpower and etc from a coaches standpoint.

Afcourse a huge part of everything is talent but you dont ALWAYS have to have the best talent to win or atleast compete. In essence BSU had no business beating OU but they did because of the system and probably passion and heart not to mention good coaches that have had experience in that level for some time.. The Lakers who had the top 2 players in the NBA lost to a Detroit team that had 5 pretty decent players in the 2004 finals and that shouldnt have happened.

Football today is not the same football 20-30 years ago because the landscape and advancement has really changed....that is why you dont really see college coaches make the big jump to the NFL and be successful anymore like you probably once did.....teams go after Offensive and Defensive coordinators.

So if we think that hiring a HS coach has no bearing in his first couple of seasons then I think that is rediculous because there is a huge learning curve.