Dissapointing Loss

Cooley

Metroplex Champs (2002-2003)

Oops, SMU just got another rebound! Guys we need help bad under the boards. Outstanding game by Jerome Rodgers. This kid grew up tonight. Clearly, the best point guard on the floor. Good game by SMU's Q. Ross, the only legitimate pro prospect. (Dallas Kimball )

I won't name names, but I was truly dissapointed in 3 of our guys.

Oops! UNT just commited another foul.

Ill add my two cents to this.

First of all, its too bad we lost. Im no basketball expert, but it seems to me our guys werent being too aggresive. It seems as if they were playing tentatively and werent getting close enough to the basket. Too much passing back and forth.

The refs werent good either. That was a blatant show of favoritism. Oh well I guess you have to deal with that when you come in contact with rich people.

I hope our boys play better at future games, or I dont know if I am gonna be there......the excitement level needs to be raised. Not enough action tonight.

No we didn't get a call, but we never will against smuuu. Rebounding was the difference. Davis and Hopkins could have made a few shots in crunch time to help out a little.

One thing that made me realize is how great the Super Pit is. Moody was way smaller, with much worse sightlines and even the scoreboards were inferior.

Where were the smuuu cheerleaders?? Dance team?? Why were there multiple senior citizens in thier pep bad?

I listened to the game with my four month old. Yes, I am trying to brainwash him in to the Mean Green Nation! I would agree with everyone's assessment of the game. One question, how many fans did we have there, and how many total fans were there? Okay, that was two questions, and come to think of it, I have one more. What is the capacity of Moody?

I'd like to see Barnett get some playing time. In the few minutes he played in the first half, he seemed to show some tenacity in the post. I've pretty much given up hope of Masters developing into anything.

They announced the crowd at 4,087 (capacity 8,990). The holiday weekend probably hurt attendance for both sides.

I listened to the game with my four month old.  Yes, I am trying to brainwash him in to the Mean Green Nation!  I would agree with everyone's assessment of the game.  One question, how many fans did we have there, and how many total fans were there?  Okay, that was two questions, and come to think of it, I have one more.  What is the capacity of Moody?

I think Moody holds around 9,500. There were probably about 3,500 total there, mostly older adult smu fans, few students. About 500-700 UNT fans were scattered around, not a bad showing by us for a holiday, just wish the result could have been different, I hate to lose anytime to uppity smu.

Moody holds a little over 9,000, it changed this year when they added all those seats on the floor, and it varies depending on how much of the bleachers behind the team benches they pull out, so I couldnt say exactly.

The cheerleaders and most of the students were still gone for Thanksgiving. The "senior citizens" were from the Alumni band. The Alums fill in during holidays when the students are gone.

I'm not going to apologize for the officials, home court officiating happens everywhere. Its not a new phenomenon, and every team at some point will be victim and beneficiary. I'm a little surprised to see it so blatant in our first 2 home games (with 2 different crews of officials) because Moody has never been that big a home court advantage before, but its not as bad as I've seen in some other places. Hawaii in womens ball may be the worst. Only a couple of the refs from our first 2 games looked even vaguely familiar, I think they were all from the Big 12.

Great game by Jerome Rogers, he was on fire for awhile. good luck the rest of the season.

That was a pathetic display of fundementals in basketball. I have seen HS teams that pass, rebound, and shoot free throws better. I give SMU only a little credit for that. There is no question NT is as good as SMU. That is coaching. When there is a lack of fundementals it is always the coach's fault. I AM NOT calling for JJ's head, but more time needs to be spent on the fundementals. BTW. Roniger has a bright future, that kid can play.

Well, here is what I saw: 1 - Chris Davis looked like he was in a fog all night, barely drew iron on many shots, and made some horrible passes; 2 - Degrate wasn't so; 3 - We scored when we got ball movement around the perimeter (three passes at least), got stuffed when we tried to freelance; 4 - We never mounted a run of any kind, which would have won the game for us in the second half; 5 - Yeah, we got homered by the refs; and 6 - We looked like the team that just played two days before, not much energy or legs.

JJ and staff were coaching the hell out of them (my seat was right above the bench) but the guys didn't respond in the stretch. They were clearly not able to execute what JJ wanted done. Jerome Rogers picked up where he left off last year, Leonard Hopkins played a good game, and the freshmen all looked like they belonged out there. The leadership from the veterans was a no show in an important game; they were disappointing.

NT was off to a great start, but then the refs went on a brazen run that left our guys in a daze. The momentum shifting call was when the tall, bald ref awarded SMU the ball after one of their defenders tackled Lee Green while he was dribbling down the sideline. I didn't have a big problem with the officiating after SMU took the lead.

In the second half, it seemed our guys didn't play with their usual aggressiveness on offense. Also, with the exception of Masters, our guys had trouble rebounding against SMU's taller and heavier players.

You have to give SMU credit. They look like a good team.

Give NT some credit for not completely falling apart on an admittedly bad night. SMU had just a 5 point lead with 5 minutes left. It went down hill in the final minutes as NT made mistakes caused by a desparate effort to get back in the game.

The three freshman that played made some big time plays to go along with some errors. Rogers had a good shooting night and Masters got his share of rebounds.

I'm not too worried about the 9 of 15 free throw shooting. Combine that with 25 of 29 vs SMS and NT is shooting an excellent 77%.