Let's Talk College Stadiums Some More....

NT80

I know this is a huge stretch but I say we should build a stadium 40K-45K mainly because we want to be committed to the future and why not start now and get that head start. Even building that stadium, we need to make it so that its expandable to like 80K or even 100K. I know thats a long long way to go but I think we need to start beyond what we need to be committed to this puppy and we can only go forward from there.

Tuck the stadium into a natural hillside over by Eagle Point. White stone facade', seating capacity of 30-40k...one main level with a walkway through the middle ala Fouts...lower level with legit seats, upper level remains bleachers...possibility of expansion on one side ala Amon Carter. Seating in one endzone, bleachers, with UNT painted ala Floyd Casey. The other endzone remains open, a grassy knoll where Mean Green Village can be set up...creating a kick ass party atmosphere in one end zone...either entirely inside the field, half and half or all outside.

We visited Clemson last summer and had to make a pilgrimage to Death Valley. A cool aspect of that on-campus stadium is that the field is sunken, so at street level you can look through the gates and see the whole thing open up -- field, the massive number of seats, and that rock players touch on the way in.

361684265_1a7ee87e14.jpg?v=0

The Stadium should be at least 45,000 in the first phase. UNT has plans to have a Student body of 45,000 by 2015, and I read one piece of marketing that claims 50,000. IF we are going to commit to a solid football program there should be at least enough seats for the student body.

The Stadium should be at least 45,000 in the first phase. UNT has plans to have a Student body of 45,000 by 2015, and I read one piece of marketing that claims 50,000. IF we are going to commit to a solid football program there should be at least enough seats for the student body.

agreed. If you build it, they will come. Think big.

I know this is a huge stretch but I say we should build a stadium 40K-45K mainly because we want to be committed to the future and why not start now and get that head start. Even building that stadium, we need to make it so that its expandable to like 80K or even 100K. I know thats a long long way to go but I think we need to start beyond what we need to be committed to this puppy and we can only go forward from there.

Hopefully this conversation will never take place:

"Daddy, it's my freshmen year at UNT and we set another enrollment record and now have 48,000 students at our main campus here in Denton, but I do have a question for you, pops....................Why did yall back in 2008 finish out our football stadium with only 35,000 seats when yall knew back then what forecasters (for Texas' public universities) told you all how large UNT, ie, your alma mater ( and "MY" school) would grow to today?" :huh:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Tuck the stadium into a natural hillside over by Eagle Point. White stone facade', seating capacity of 30-40k...one main level with a walkway through the middle ala Fouts...lower level with legit seats, upper level remains bleachers...possibility of expansion on one side ala Amon Carter. Seating in one endzone, bleachers, with UNT painted ala Floyd Casey. The other endzone remains open, a grassy knoll where Mean Green Village can be set up...creating a kick ass party atmosphere in one end zone...either entirely inside the field, half and half or all outside.

I like your idea, but remember that one endzone with have the AC in it, so don't expect any seating around the south endzone.

I like your idea, but remember that one endzone with have the AC in it, so don't expect any seating around the south endzone.

Fair enough...lets just copy Amon Carter sans the upper deck (for now) and keep my grassy knoll opposite the athletic center...also I'd prefer the seating go more vertically than most places, like an English soccer stadium.

I really like the rendering of the Colorado State stadium. Lots of seats on the sidelines, with a limited number in the endzone. I'm thinking something like:

20K on one side

14K on the other

4K in the endzone opposite the AC

designed with plenty of opportunities for expansion.

The MAIN thing I am interested in is bringing the fans right up on the action. The best experience I have ever had in that regard was a LONG time ago at Northwestern State...back in the Southland. While that stadium was nothing to brag about in terms of big stadiums, it was wonderful at getting the fan practically ON the field. It was awesome. It was almost like arena ball! That also goes a long way to getting the crowd noise to being a factor in the game. If the stadium is built right, even 20K fans feels and sounds like major college football. Build it as large as you can...but build it close!