New Off-season Poll

UNTLifer

You know...you could've stretched this into two different polls if you would've split corners and safeties...maybe even three if you went strong and free safety. Mine has gotta be Jeremy Pearl...who almost single-handedly is responsible for me setting the vertical leap record at the Superdome...and I did it about 30 times...following his 27 yard interception return for a touchdown against Cincinati. A close second is the most -flamboyant personality I've ever known to where Green...the great Don McGee.

Carl 'Spider' Lockhart, who played in the early 60's. He played for the New York Giants for years and years. One of the North Texas coaches told me that Carl felt like he could cover the 'Good Lord' if asked to.

Guest GrayEagleOne

This may show the age range of this group. I've seen almost all of them and I give that nod to Spider Lockhart. He was fantastic at North Texas and maybe even better in the pros. He played 11 years for the NY Giants and intercepted 41 passes, at least 1 in every year with a high of 8.

Not far behind of the oldsters list would be Chuck 'Hatchet' Beatty. He was a Craig Jones type of hitter, maybe even harder who played 4 years with the Steelers. Another outstanding defensive back was J.T. Smith. John Thomas was switched to wide receiver in the pros but he would've been outstanding as a DB if the Cardinals had chosen to play him there.

Of the more current players, I'd pick Jonas Buckles. Not quite as hard-hitting as Craig Jones but extremely gifted all-around; great on coverage and a sure tackler.

Some others who were outstanding were Len Dunlap, Hurles Scales, Bernie Barbour and Billy Ryan (for whom a Denton high school is named).