Who Will Score Our First Touchdown?

On third and 12 from the North Texas 28-yard line, Jamario takes a draw up the gut, breaks free, and goes the distance.

And far away, in a distant office in Utah, a piercing voice is heard to scream, "See! See! I told you! I knew it would work!"

Probably would work if the opposition were actually expecting some other play instead of that one.

This thread seems awfully familiar? Oh well, what the hell... it's slow.

(The "predicted" play-by-play of George Dunham and Hank Dickinson during the OU game)...

GEORGE - "Second Mean Green possesion has them 2nd and 4 at the 26 yard line. Jamario runs off and Cam Montgomery runs into the huddle. Meager breaks the huddle with Montgomery in the backfield, Marcus King and Casey Fitzgerald wide left, Sam Dibrell and Brandon Jackson wide right. Meager points across the line and may be calling an audible... the Sooners are showing blitz...now they backs out. There's the snap and it's a four man rush by the Sooners. Meager hands off to Montgomery who runs into the line, stops AND PITCHES THE BALL BACK TO MEAGER...It's a Flea Flicker! Meager steps up and fires the ball deep!... he's looking right for Jackson...who MAKES THE CATCH at the 25....Jackson sprinting to the 15..the 10..the 5...TOUCHDOWN NORTH TEXAS!!!! OH what a GUTSY play-call by offensive coordinator Todd Ford! Coach Dodge said play calling against OU would be more aggressive and they show it right there!"

HANK - "It looked like Danny Meager saw a blitz coming and was changing the play, but the Oklahoma defense backed out of the blitz? Meager saw the mis-match when the other receivers took their men inside leaving Brandon Jackson alone with the safety on a GO-route. B-Jax will win that matchup nine times out of ten. Look at last year's opener and ask the Texas Longhorns what happens when Brandon Jackson has the safety man on man? The same thing that just happened here... You know Todd Dodge has to take some extra satisfaction out of doing that to the Sooners. Some rivalries never die... "

GMG!!! ;)

Probably would work if the opposition were actually expecting some other play instead of that one.

That's the sad thing about all those third-and-long draws the last few years. When you're in a run-first offense, the defense is looking for the draw. But the third-and-long draw will probably work better in the spread offense, with fewer defenders at the line and maybe a linebacker or two replaced by defensive backs.

Edited by Smitty

UNT wins the toss and defers their option until the second half. OU takes the opening kick out to the 32. Allen Patrick takes 5 hand offs and picks up 3 first downs down to the UNT 24...Joey Halzle then hooks up on a slant to Juaquin Iglesias to the UNT 13...then a stop route to Joe Jon Finley to the UNT 2. First and Goal. Toss right to Patrick is blown up by a great hit on the corner from Colt Mahan. Second and Goal from the 4...Halzle throws a fade for Quentin Chaney which is deflected away by Latif Nurudeen. Third and Goal. Halzle runs play action...Aaron Weathers slips and Joe Jon Finley is wide open in the end zone...but Dominique Green who came on a blitz hits Halzle and the ball pops loose and scooped up by Brandon Monroe who takes off in towards paydirt. He reaches the 50 and the play is blown dead...and the Big 12 refs call a clear fumble an incomplete pass. Garrett Hartley kicks a 22 yard field goal.

Micah Mosely then returns the ensuing kick off 97 yards for a touchdown

There, I fixed it for you! :)

(The "predicted" play-by-play of George Dunham and Hank Dickinson during the OU game)...

GEORGE - "Second Mean Green possesion has them 2nd and 4 at the 26 yard line. Jamario runs off and Cam Montgomery runs into the huddle. Vizza breaks the huddle with Montgomery in the backfield, Marcus King and Casey Fitzgerald wide left, Sam Dibrell and Brandon Jackson wide right. Vizza points across the line and may be calling an audible... the Sooners are showing blitz...now they backs out. There's the snap and it's a four man rush by the Sooners. Vizza hands off to Montgomery who runs into the line, stops AND PITCHES THE BALL BACK TO VIZZA...It's a Flea Flicker! Vizza steps up and fires the ball deep!... he's looking right for Jackson...who MAKES THE CATCH at the 25....Jackson sprinting to the 15..the 10..the 5...TOUCHDOWN NORTH TEXAS!!!! OH what a GUTSY play-call by offensive coordinator Todd Ford! Coach Dodge said play calling against OU would be more aggressive and they show it right there!"

HANK - "It looked like Giovanni Vizza saw a blitz coming and was changing the play, but the Oklahoma defense backed out of the blitz? Vizza saw the mis-match when the other receivers took their men inside leaving Brandon Jackson alone with the safety on a GO-route. B-Jax will win that matchup nine times out of ten. Look at last year's opener and ask the Texas Longhorns what happens when Brandon Jackson has the safety man on man? The same thing that just happened here... You know Todd Dodge has to take some extra satisfaction out of doing that to the Sooners. Some rivalries never die... "

GMG!!! ;)

I'm still holding out hope that I won't have to see Meager "sack" himself by tripping over his own feet or miss wide open receivers on roll-outs and 5-yard flat patterns (all things I witnessed at the Green/White game this Spring). Yes, I know he also had some decent, if not good, passes too.

Yeah... maybe Vizza will come in here and light it up. However, I've never seen the guy play at all. Until I watch him get it going in practice, and then do it in a game, there's no way I'll put him ahead of Meager.

Meager currently leads Vizza in every conceivable category. Passes, attempts, yards, touchdowns, starts, games played, QB rating, and the all important category of having worn a college uniform. Until some of those stats change, or Vizza calls in Uncle Louie from Brooklyn, Meager's the guy.

Incidentally... I'll buy some of that Meager to Fitzgerald Kool-Aid. I think B-JAX is going to have a terrific year, but I think OU will force us to make someone else beat them. That guy is Mr. Spring Game himself.

I will predict that Jamario Thomas will score our first Touchdown--not on one of his

great runs, but, off a pass in the flat, then a 50yd run after the catch!

Like Patrick Cobbs in his first preseason game with the Patriots.

I'm thinking something like the Fitzgerald passes from the Spring Game. Maybe not as long, though.

---Opening kickoff by us..... the ball appears to going out of end-zone but stops a few inches short ..... meanwhile OU players start trotting off field and a member of our kicking team jumps on it...... TD...... NT 6, OU 0

{ I have seen this happen in a HS game, just not the opening kickoff )

Yes! I would like for Woody to line up in the slot WR, and RB, and any other position on the field-The guy can do many things on the field. Coach Dodge likes to mis-match opponents-

Can you see Woody on a reverse-option to run or pass play? If he cannot play QB, I hope the

coaching staff can find a way to get him in on special plays--after that amazing TD run/scramble against the phonies last year, the guy can make things happen!

GEORGE - "Second Mean Green possesion has them 2nd and 4 at the 26 yard line. Jamario runs off and Cam Montgomery runs into the huddle. Meager breaks the huddle with Montgomery in the backfield, Marcus King and Casey Fitzgerald wide left, Sam Dibrell and Brandon Jackson wide right. Meager points across the line and may be calling an audible... the Sooners are showing blitz...now they backs out. There's the snap and it's a four man rush by the Sooners. Meager hands off to Montgomery who runs into the line, stops AND PITCHES THE BALL BACK TO MEAGER...It's a Flea Flicker! Meager steps up and fires the ball deep!... he's looking right for Jackson...who MAKES THE CATCH at the 25....Jackson sprinting to the 15..the 10..the 5...TOUCHDOWN NORTH TEXAS!!!! OH what a GUTSY play-call by offensive coordinator Todd Ford! Coach Dodge said play calling against OU would be more aggressive and they show it right there!"

HANK - "It looked like Danny Meager saw a blitz coming and was changing the play, but the Oklahoma defense backed out of the blitz? Meager saw the mis-match when the other receivers took their men inside leaving Brandon Jackson alone with the safety on a GO-route. B-Jax will win that matchup nine times out of ten. Look at last year's opener and ask the Texas Longhorns what happens when Brandon Jackson has the safety man on man? The same thing that just happened here... You know Todd Dodge has to take some extra satisfaction out of doing that to the Sooners. Some rivalries never die... "

GMG!!! ;)

You had me until the part I put in bold above. TD runs a no huddle system.

You had me until the part I put in bold above. TD runs a no huddle system.

In a huddle offense, a player has to enter and leave the huddle to be eligable to play on the ensuing snap. How do substitution rules apply when you have a no-huddle offense? Does the offense HAVE to huddle in order for new players to take the field and be eligable? Or, if there is absolutely never a huddle, can players come and go as they please as long as there are only 11 on the field at one time?