2009: A Big Year For Denton

Actually I've heard that he offerred the donation several years ago when the new stadium wasn't even on the horizon. It wasn't a matter of baseball program vs. football stadium. I believe it was the Helwig administration that turned down the baseball offer, most likely because they didn't want to fall further out of Title IX compliance by adding another men's sport while we were still out of compliance (Something the RV administration has corrected. Its often overlooked and even mentioned less but this was a tremendous obstacle that RV and staff had to overcome and they've done a great job to get UNT past this. People often forget that this HAD to be done before we could ever think about getting a stadium.)

Good point.

I think you are right too about the baseball offer probably being before RV.

BTW, NT does have a quality club baseball team. The current Plano West baseball coach (now in HS playoffs) played on NT's club team many years ago and talked fondly about playing well against funded programs.

Edited by NT80

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fry Street project does not make the list?

The Fry Street Project is a disgrace. The entire Fry street project consists of a new CVS and thats basically it.

What they should have done was remodeled the entire area. Add a second or third floors to some parts and make those apts or lofts. This would be super popular for residents. THen open up new sections to be leased out as new bars or clubs. Make the eccentric scene stronger and allowed to thrive not die.

from an article this past basketball season:

Thanks Adler

I think that article was printed in the DRC in the early part of 2007, I wouldnt say that is an old topic by any means. Actually a eye-opening one that requires some discussion, such as why didn't you take his money. We seriously ended up with the booby prize if that is the case.

Playmaker has chosen to get people thinking and the ball rolling by challenging what is going on and not being afraid to stir the pot. As long as his facts are straight and he's not farting random numbers in our general direction, I have no problem with it. However, many of his posts do have a tinge of personal or unfounded attacks. For example, the Arkansas stereotypes. I could do without all of those, but I'm learning to deal with it as should you.

It's the internet. grab your controller and brace yourself. If you get to the end of it, the bad guy is really hard. It might even be Playmaker himself.

Edited by greenminer

Thanks Adler

I think that article was printed in the DRC in the early part of 2007, I wouldnt say that is an old topic by any means. Actually a eye-opening one that requires some discussion, such as why didn't you take his money. We seriously ended up with the booby prize if that is the case.

All you gotta do is read the post several up from yours to find your answer. This kind of "rehashing" of pseudo-controversy may be what UNTfan23 is talking about. Just a guess.

Edited by emmitt01

Guest GrayEagleOne

The Fry Street Project is a disgrace. The entire Fry street project consists of a new CVS and thats basically it.

What they should have done was remodeled the entire area. Add a second or third floors to some parts and make those apts or lofts. This would be super popular for residents. THen open up new sections to be leased out as new bars or clubs. Make the eccentric scene stronger and allowed to thrive not die.

Good thinking. That's also what the developers had in mind as I understand it. If this were basically a CVS, it would have to be the most expensive one in their chain.

Why are national chain stores opening such a big deal?

I dont think its so much that it is a CVS, but rather the location of it. Opening a store like that in what has become the 'heart' of NT is probably a waste of space. There are a ton of better things that could have been planted in that space that would attract much more students, money, and better the image of Fry St., and I hope there will be more than just that. I do not believe that a CVS on one of the most popular streets will increase the demand to go to Fry St., but rather kill it.

If any of the things that you listed DON'T happen in 2009 are you going to be all over who ever put out this information? No, I don't think so. But, if UNT put out information said that there would be a stadium in 2009 and it didn't happen, they'd never hear the end of it.

WHEN THERE IS SOMETHING TO REPORT YOU'LL HEAR ABOUT IT. Until then, they have a fund-raising firm working on it as hard as they can. After all, much of their livelihood may depend on it. Until then, why this drivel of incessant complaints?

Why have quarterly meetings if all that's going to do is invite criticism if it doesn't happen on schedule? You bring up the baseball stadium debacle. Whose fault was that? We had a signed deal and the other party didn't hold up their end.

Yes, this and all such threads are dumb threads. They're provocative alright. They provoke those of us who understand the problem to anger over the constant harping about something that none of us can affect.

Yes this truly is a dumb thread and counter productive. I have at times talked about the realities of fundraising and the difficulties of a project of this kind at a place like UNT, but never one that degrades the effort or persons involved. RV is a class act all the way and has done more for athletics at UNT than all of the ADs combined before him. They are working on it. It is going to be a long haul. It may not happen when we want it to happen, but grow up and get over it. He does not owe anyone a quarterly meeting, especially if there is NOTHING NEW to talk about. To do so would only start gossip of how "nothing is happening." AD and staff work hard. The fundraising firm is working hard. Just occupy your mind on other things and get ready for FOOTBALL.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again because I think it is relevant to the "new stadium" discussion. I've been to fouts a handful of times where the attendance was over 25K. You know what? Fouts didn't seem all that bad. It is when I go to games with less than 17,000 or so when I think about how crappy the stadium is. Funny how that is, isn't it?

I dont think its so much that it is a CVS, but rather the location of it. Opening a store like that in what has become the 'heart' of NT is probably a waste of space. There are a ton of better things that could have been planted in that space that would attract much more students, money, and better the image of Fry St., and I hope there will be more than just that. I do not believe that a CVS on one of the most popular streets will increase the demand to go to Fry St., but rather kill it.

I meant towards the original topic about Denton getting a Staples and a Circuit City and some shopping centers. Like somehow that officially brings Denton out of the dark ages.

If you're a resident living on campus with no other means of transporation, save walking (this applies to many of our IELI students), then a CVS isn't such a bad idea. It's a heck of a lot easier to walk back to Fry Street and get your camera/shampoo/quick snack/medicine than trying to find someone to take you to Wal-Mart.

I don't disagree with having some eclectic stores that keep Fry Street funky, but to completely dismiss all "chain" stores because they are non-unique is to devalue the importance of nearby stores for residents. In all honesty, if I were a parent taking my kid on a tour of the campus, the CVS would be more likely to make me happy than 4 tattoo parlors and a run-down restaurant.

First of all it's the 2009 season, that was mentioned by officials. Not the year 2019. I think you have mistaken that number with an old Star Trek episode. Stadium talk has been going on for quite sometime, if you followed the Mean Green for more than a few years while you attended school here, you would realize that a new stadium has been on the table for years. This was the case in 1994 when the stadium needed to be expanded, it was the first thing on RV's agenda when the stadium was proposed to students and then got shot down. RV brought it back up after Mean Green Village was created.

This is a popular topic as we havent heard the much anticpiated announcement reagarding the football stadium. Also I was not the one who re-started the stadium talk, it was another poster on another thread. As you can see, goofy, cough. If you felt so strongly about it why didnt you reply to that thread in particular. Why is it that whenever I post anything in particular you seem to be in attack mode.

Considering that you live in Arkansas, where you belong, I can understand the frustrations you have going on in your life right now, but taking it out on my random threads is not the answer. If you don't like em, don't read em and certainly don't post a idiotic response like you always do. You kind of make an ass out of yourself, especially when other people don't agree with you, mmkay.

Also I suggest that you conserve the amount of time you use on the internet, and not waste your time replying to my postings, seeing how internet access over there is still viewed as a luxury and only available as a prepaid type of service.

Just an educated guess, but I'd wager he's quite familiar with the Mean Green. If you'll notice, he's been following them faithfully on this board for two years more than you. As for the incorrect date, you of all people should be able to sympathize with a typo.

Perhaps he wouldn't be in attack mode if you weren't so quick to attack. While your free to spew your opinions on this board, people are much less likely to take you seriously in anything if all you do is post stupid crap and insult people. And since you're so intent on bringing up the negatives of the AD, what are you doing to make things better, other than rant on a message board?

Thanks Adler

I read the whole post and it said that we did accept his donation... How did we mess that up? I'm ready to accept money for whatever cause it is, but if we can get it to fill a more immediate need- do it.

Now if you want to debate whether or not we need a new football stadium, or a baseball team first... that is a good discussion topic, and probably one more worth while than this sad sack of crap that was already discussed in a timelier manner, when it happened.

Just an educated guess, but I'd wager he's quite familiar with the Mean Green. If you'll notice, he's been following them faithfully on this board for two years more than you. As for the incorrect date, you of all people should be able to sympathize with a typo.

Perhaps he wouldn't be in attack mode if you weren't so quick to attack. While your free to spew your opinions on this board, people are much less likely to take you seriously in anything if all you do is post stupid crap and insult people. And since you're so intent on bringing up the negatives of the AD, what are you doing to make things better, other than rant on a message board?

To qualify my commitment, I've been faithfully following the Mean Green since 2001 back before we used the board software we use now.

I was exaggerating. I wanted to blow things out of proportion.

Emmitt is also right. I'm tired of rehashing this topic every other week. It just. Gets. Old.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The real question is what ever happened to Green Grenande?

Both Green Grenade and Margie are alive and well. I talked to him at the spring game. His problem has been his computer which he must replace before he can get back with us on a regular basis.

WOW! By reading some of the comments and responses to this post I feel we are a bunch of fighting women. I can see both sides but this post I think is really nice....this only helps both universities and the city of Denton which frankly needs more than what it has now in my opinion. These are the things that create the face of our school, atmosphere, city etc. UT is PHENOMENAL and all but if you take out the capital and the whole arts thing then you would have another ordinary spared affair town/city with a marvelous school. Being a UNT alum it makes me proud to see good posts like this. Moreover we are almost in June and there just aint a whole heep going on with UNT and what not. Another fact you can put to the list is the RTVF department is teaming/collaborating with the American Film Institute as AFI is opening a big branch in Dallas. Thats huge for the department and huge for the exposure of the school even. Also NT will have its first ever annual like film festival in September in which several big name guests will attend and guess what....its going to be in Denton (Atleast as of last month). To me thats huge news and any good and positive news like this should be commended and though I cant say all of this is new which was posted, we needed to keep on hearing it so it doesnt go away and the fever and excitement will stay. I dont know this is all just my opinion.

Edited by Green Mean

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Both Green Grenade and Margie are alive and well. I talked to him at the spring game. His problem has been his computer which he must replace before he can get back with us on a regular basis.

Thank Heaven it is just technical difficulties. I thought maybe his other dimension had finally claimed him exclusively.

Now I have some predictions for Denton in 2009:

- Walgreens will open across the corner from the new CVS. Then Walgreens will take over CVS, and will change the CVS to a Walgreens, and both Walgreens will continue to operate and thrive.

- Ten new Starbucks will open in Denton by 2009, including one inside each of the new Walgreens, with an additional one on top of the Walgreens that was formerly a CVS.

- The Union will be transformed into a flagship Home Depot. Lowes will enter into talks with the NT administration to acquire the GAB for its new store.

- The first product of a joint venture between Bonefish Grill and Carrabba's will open in the old administration building. Boneabba's will have seating for 1400, so can promise wait times no more than 75 minutes.

- Jiffy Lube and 14 tiny banks with odd names will open in front of the library. Jiffy Lube patrons are confused why they can't open an account or take out a third mortgage.

- An exciting master planned residential community will be approved, to be built around the new retail/lifestyle center taking shape in the center of campus. NT administration will announce plans to move all instructional activities to the new UNT at Dallas. Walgreens/CVS immediately announces plans to open a store at UNT-Dallas.