Stone Cold And North Texas

There is an article in this mornings ST with Steve Austin. Dave Thomas asks him specifically about his interest in North Texas football, and hints to him that he might want to contribute to a new stadium. I can't find the on-line link to the story.

Answers?

1. He only follows North Texas football as long as the football score crawls across the ESPN screen. His main memories of his playing days was North Texas regularly getting it's ass kicked.

2. He just purchased a ranch in South Texas, so he has no disposable income to contribute to the stadium.

I think that everyone that has been wishing and hoping that "Stone Cold" will become involved in the program, can just focus on someone else now.

His main memories of his playing days was North Texas regularly getting it's ass kicked.

...........and that it looks as if nothing has changed since then? What the hell? His team beat TCU as a 1-AA program. That in itself stood for nothing I suppose? And it appears he's clueless about any previous success the past 6 years as well.

Thanks Steve!!!! The Metroplex Alumni will truly appreciate the laughter they will recieve today at work. <_<

Rick

Let's see, according to our '06 media guide, Steve Williams only lettered in 1985, which isn't entirely correct as I know he played in '86 as well. He recovered the final of 7 TCU fumbles that day to seal the victory and his photo of doing so was on the front page of the Startlegram Sport page the next day. If you take into account those two years, his Mean Green went 10-10-1 and included wins over TCU and Kansas State, and loses to Oklahoma State by 1 point, and a 4 point loss to TCU the previous season in '85 and a 1 point loss to UNLV in '86. Other notable losses were against Arkansas State, La Tech, Texas A&M and Texas Tech, all as I said before, as a 1-AA program.

Rick

This was a full page of the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram with the huge headline of "Mean Green to Stone Cold" at the top of the page. There was a big picture of him that took up about half the page. One additional comment from him was "Sometimes it looks like they're about to turn the corner but they haven't made it yet" That is sad, but true.

This was a full page of the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram with the huge headline of "Mean Green to Stone Cold" at the top of the page. There was a big picture of him that took up about half the page. One additional comment from him was "Sometimes it looks like they're about to turn the corner but they haven't made it yet" That is sad, but true.

I realize the guy was kinda a celebrity for a while and he's got more money than me, but seriously, does he have THAT kind of money, like to be a major contributor to a stadium?

"UNT welcomes you to The Mean Green Stone Cold Coliseum" Damn, and that sounds kinda cool too.

You know what? Forget about Stone Cold! We have a very proud alumni in Kevin Vonerich (spelling?). Another wrestling legend. Or As he is known Kevin Atkinson. I don't think any of these guys have the funds to fund a Stadium or anything but I know one thing for sure. It would be great for attendance if one of these guys stepped up and made an public appearance at a game. I say one of these guys because Kevin already does come to games. I would see him in the alumni lounge after I graduated. Come on Stone step up and help us "turn that corner".

I realize the guy was kinda a celebrity for a while and he's got more money than me, but seriously, does he have THAT kind of money, like to be a major contributor to a stadium?

"UNT welcomes you to The Mean Green Stone Cold Coliseum" Damn, and that sounds kinda cool too.

Probably not. How about we worry less about how much money this guy has and how much we think he should put towards a stadium...and maybe concentrate our efforts on winning him back as a fan.

Like him or not, the noteriety of someone like Steve Austin having ties to NT would likely do more good than asking him to make a one time donation. Same goes for all of our "celebrity" alums...what are we doing to win some of these folks that could shine a little extra light on NT?

Nora Jones? Where are you? (well she didn't graduate from here).

Dr. Phil? Where are you? (Crap he won't even show up for a banquet where he is honored).

When we get in the national spotlight, that's when these guys will show up. It doesn't benefit them to be assoaciated with a program that isn't winning on a regular basis. If they went to Texas or USC you would see them everywhere.

Although she didn't give NT one ounce of credit in front of the world during her 7 trips to the podium during her Grammy grab, Nora Jones did stepped up a bit in that she helped the Exes with their calender last year and was involved in the "Save Fry Street" campaign. And it's interesting that Coach Archie mentioned the Von Erich's. NT has had a connection with them for years, as early back as the 70's, and it's interesting that in today's article Austin mentions Texas having a strong pro wrestling tradition, mentions the Von Erich's and that he himself got his start in Dallas(considered to be home of the Von Erichs). Could it be, that being given a scholarship to play college football at North Texas possibly opened that door for his pro wrestling carreer? Nah, couldn't be!

For once in the modern era I would like to see/hear one of our fames speak to the public about the positives of North Texas. The only time I recall seeing something like this was the commercial Peter Weller(Robo Cop) did to help NT promote the Centennial Celebration in 1990.

Rick

Nora Jones? Where are you? (well she didn't graduate from here).

Dr. Phil? Where are you? (Crap he won't even show up for a banquet where he is honored).

When we get in the national spotlight, that's when these guys will show up. It doesn't benefit them to be assoaciated with a program that isn't winning on a regular basis. If they went to Texas or USC you would see them everywhere.

Pat Boone??????????? hahaha

And it's interesting that Coach Archie mentioned the Von Erich's. NT has had a connection with them for years, as early back as the 70's, and it's interesting that in today's article Austin mentions Texas having a strong pro wrestling tradition, mentions the Von Erich's and that he himself got his start in Dallas(considered to be home of the Von Erichs). Could it be, that being given a scholarship to play college football at North Texas possibly opened that door for his pro wrestling carreer? Nah, couldn't be!

Interesting...I worked at a bank in Denton about a yr ago and this guy came in to open an account. All the ladies (older ones) started going crazy. I finally calmed them down enough to get them to say that the guy was Kevin Von Erich and a famous wrestler. He was wearing a North Texas shirt. So I went over and talked to him a little bit. He was opening an acct for around $800K and was soon to transfer more money back in. Evidently he sold some rights to his wrestling or something like that. But we talked about UNT and he said he played for them and was going to try to make it out to some of the games.

Sad too as Dr. Phil actually works in LA and lives in Dallas, 25 mintue drive.....up north....hmmmmmmmmm

Dr. Phil does give money to UNT. A lot - maybe not relative to overall net worth, but when was the last time you gave $100,000 for scholarships?

Inhouse Article

From the article:

But there is more good news. I am thrilled to announce another new scholarship endowment aimed at helping students.

The generosity of many supporters of Happy Hill Farm Academy has created a $100,000 endowment to support the Dr. Phil and Robin McGraw Scholarship Fund to benefit Happy Hill Farm graduates who will attend UNT.

Now you all know Dr. Phil. He is a successful UNT alumnus and he is also a dedicated supporter of Happy Hill Farm. Located just south of Granbury, Happy Hill Farm serves as a licensed residential treatment facility and private academy for at-risk students, many of whom have come from broken homes or have been victims of abuse and neglect. These students also will be eligible for Emerald Eagle Scholarships.

My beef was with the issue was that he was a no-show to the awards banquet, which was held on the weekend. From what I heard he lives in North Dallas during the weekends..

I dont think he is one who is ashamed of UNT.

On a related note, when Bill O'Reilly had one of his spats with Dr. Phil McGraw, he wrote in his editorial a few years back that Dr. Phil wasnt a real medical doctor and that he graduated from an unknown university in Texas, name the University of North Texas.

But the guy's an idiot so

Here's the sad and sorry truth of it all. If North Texas were to beat sooner and hawg next year, put up 35 digit victories on pony, sailor, sweep the belt, and lose no fewer than 2 or 3 games every year for the next four years, I think you'd start seeing the Stone Colds, the Norah Jones', and the Dr. Phils of our alumni world on the sidelines.

Stars love the spotlight, but you have to have a safe guarantee that it will be there by the time they step into it. If it is flickering, like it is right now, or not on at all (as it has been for the past 30 years, with exception of 2001-2004), then they're not going to want to be associated with it. That's the draw of a perennial powerhouse, like Texas, Ohio State, or USC. They're always going to have the spotlight on, win or lose, because they have the credibility of YEARS of winning to fall back on.

I read somewhere that once you cross a certain threshold of income, your credit rating just skyrockets. The reasoning being that someone who makes $100,000, at ANY point in their life, is much more likely to continue making that kind of money than someone who makes, say, $30,000. Likewise, once you've had big time success, you can parley that credibility for years. Once you've had big time success for a long time, your credit is virtually unlimited.

We're not there yet, but we are heading in that direction. I believe that the greater goal we are all looking for is handled in the thousands of opportunities we have daily for us to sell our university. Everyone in Colleyville knows how I feel about the mean green (wearing a North Texas polo right now). I don't tell them we should be treated like UT or OU, but I tell them that the North Texas they think they know doesn't exist anymore. I tell them about our Mean Green club subscriptions, the season ticket sales, the media coverage, the national rushing records, the school attendance, the notable alumni, the stellar programs, and what kinds of things lay in store.

As an alumni base (and I realize the few who read this board are not typically at fault for this), we have done a TERRIBLE job selling our university. If we all do our part, and the administration does their part, and the guys on the field do their part, there is nothing (NOTHING) stopping us from being the next Louisville, or Boise State, or TCU. We have the numbers, we have the media market, and we have a terrific product we are selling. We are going to get there.

So let Stone Cold blow us off right now. He's just playing it safe, and not wanting to attach his name to something he views as a sinking ship. Once he wakes up and realizes the yacht he's passing up, he'll come sniffing around again. Believe that.

Celebrities travel as a herd. I witnessed this when Jacksonville got the Super Bowl a couple of years ago when the Eagles played the Patriots. Famous people didn't show up here, outside of well-known NFLers, because there weren't enough of their camera-whoring kind planning to make the trip. The local media was so celebrity starved that Woody Harrelson's appearance was top story material.

If North Texas wants the Stone Colds and Doctor Phils of the world to get involved, they have to find a way to lure them in groups.

Most of the so-called celebs attended NT but didn't graduate. Some of them might feel more attachment if they were asked by Athletics to make PR plugs or appearances for the program. I attended UTA once (for engineering) but feel no connection there. Being from Denton a couple years in high school, I actually followed NT sports while I was at UTA until I transferred to and graduated from NT.

Hey, Pat Boone and the dude that played Teen Wolf's dad showed up to a Kappa Alpha alumni thingie...um...before the KAs got kicked off campus...but maybe getting the Greeks to help out with alums from their respective houses might be a good way to start.

My beef was with the issue was that he was a no-show to the awards banquet, which was held on the weekend. From what I heard he lives in North Dallas during the weekends..

I dont think he is one who is ashamed of UNT.

Perhaps he didn't know it was going on...again, NT isn't known for really advertising events the way it should.