Vitto Blog, Quinn Has 2 Year Deal With Signing Bonus $3000

OldTimer

A few notes on Quinn and the Bills

I just got off the phone with North Texas wide receiver Johnny Quinn and his agent, who talked a little about how Quinn ended up agreeing on a two-year free agent contract with the Buffalo Bills.

Quinn said the Bills were among the teams that expressed the most interest in signing him in the months leading up to the draft. Quinn's agent had a contract offer from Buffalo just minutes after the draft ended.

Quinn received a two-year deal with a signing bonus of $3,000 and will report to camp in mid-May.

Quinn's agent said he studied the rosters of all of the NFL teams carefully and liked the chances for UNT's all-time leading receiver best in Buffalo. The Bills did not draft a wide receiver and put a premium on special teams, where Quinn excelled in college.

To read about Quinn's reaction to signing with the Bills and what his agent had to say about the process, be sure to see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle or check our Web site late tonight.

Unfortunately, Johnny will have to use the $3k to get to training camp and cover some expenses while he tries to make the team.

Good Luck Johnny!

The Bills are picking up Johnny's expenses. I didn't get this from a friend of a friend of a cousin or a girlfriend. I got this from Johnny's mother.

NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, per the collective bargaining agreement between the Leauge and the Players' Union. So, a player or prospect can sign a deal for a year or one hundred years. It doesn't mean anything in the way of permanent job security.

When you read the CBA, you realize it's basically a right-to-work deal: a team can cut a player at any time for any reason. Guys sign deals all of the time, especially free agents. Teams bring them into camp, basically as fodder, then cut them. It takes a while to hang on and make something of it.

http://www.nflpa.org/CBA/CBA_Complete.aspx

A palrty $3G signing bonus, cmon. I know guys that got a bigger signing bonus than that for signing with a different telecomm companies! This is the NFL, JQ deserved more! I'm very confident he makes the team.

I don't think Johnny is worried one bit about what his signing bonus was. Ever seen The Rookie? "Brooks, we get to play baseball today!"