40 Minutes Left Before Dancing

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn,

When did this board become Scotty's? No offense Scotty, I always lurk on your board. But I'm getting called an idiot and people are getting all ticked off. I don't get it. I fashion myself as a guy who knows basketball pretty well and those are my opinions. If you don't like them fine, but I think a lot of NT homerism is being shown here. I'm guilty of being a homer at times as well, but again in watching the game today I kept saying the same thing to my buddy, this team isn't very good.

And I still want to know what's the deal with the Artie's balls?!?!

Just gone final NT plays Arkansas State tomorrow.

GMG

with love,

The idiot who's mother posts on the board.

Damn,

When did this board become Scotty's? No offense Scotty, I always lurk on your board. But I'm getting called an idiot and people are getting all ticked off. I don't get it. I fashion myself as a guy who knows basketball pretty well and those are my opinions. If you don't like them fine, but I think a lot of NT homerism is being shown here. I'm guilty of being a homer at times as well, but again in watching the game today I kept saying the same thing to my buddy, this team isn't very good.

And I still want to know what's the deal with the Artie's balls?!?!

Just gone final NT plays Arkansas State tomorrow.

GMG

with love,

The idiot who's mother posts on the board.

I've learned to accept that you're not going to win anyone over by trying to yank off their goggles.

I never got the Arties balls thing either. So don't fret. I think it's just a funny quip for those on the inside?

There's an old sports saying: They don't ask how, they ask how many.

Last time I checked, the Mean Green are in the SBC Tournament finals, with a chance to make it to the NCAAs, which doesn't exactly happen every year around here. Why not let the results speak for themselves and enjoy this and support the team without passing judgement on how good they really are, or how good they would be if they had better opposition?

Can we just be thankful for the accomplishments with picking things apart? In 24 hours, with any luck at all, the Mean Green will be one of the last 65 teams left standing this season. Enjoy the moment.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Beat the Indians!

They do when they count wins against teams like Jarvis Christian and Bellwhatever. Folks both of those teams counted our game with them as exhibitions, yet we count them as wins.

Please, please, for the love of all that's holy, stop repeating this non-fact. Yes, we count Jarvis Christian and Belhaven as wins. So does the NCAA. Go look it up. Their web site, not updated yet with tonight's game, lists UNT as 21-10 as of March 4.

The vast majority of NCAA schools play from 1 to 4 non-D1 games per year. It is less common in the top-ranked schools -- 17 of the top 50 RPIs played at least one non-D1 this year; Butler (RPI 31), powerhouse of the Horizon conference, played two, and won both.

The NCAA ranks 325 teams nationwide on 15 statistics. Before tonight's game, for the season, we are in the top 10 percent in two: rebound margin (6.4 more per game than the opponents, 18th nationwide) and scoring offense (78 per game, ranked 26th).

We're in the top 20 percent in blocked shots per game (4.5 per game, ranked 49th).

We're in the top 30 percent in scoring margin (65th), field-goal percentage (96th), field-goal percentage defense (83rd), 3-point percentage (86th).

We are ranked 131st in 3-points per game, 165th in steals per game, 219th in assists, 236th in scoring defense, 255th in turnovers per game, 256th in free-throw percentage, and 269th in personal fouls per game.

Every category puts us in the upper two-thirds, which is OK, not great. But some of those categories look darn good -- upper third nationwide.

And here's the one I want to burn indelibly into your brain: We are 67th nationwide, out of 325 ranked teams, in won-loss percentage: 67.7 percent. That's 21-10. Again, our official NCAA record -- not what you incorrectly regard as some hometown cheerleader cheater's view -- is, as of tonight, 22-10.

Our record is 22-10. Repeat that over and over. Because it's the NCAA-certified fact.

How about we just all say we're thrilled with this season and this situation and we hope to high heck we can pull this off tomorrow. These are good, good times to be a Mean Green fan, an alum, a student, whatever.

We're all on the same team. Let's just be happy and support these guys. Win or lose, I'm pretty damn proud right now.

Here's the highly ranked Texas A&M schedule. Seems to me they played a few "Bellhaven's and Jarvis Christian's" themselves before their Big 12 schedule.

11/1 Midwestern State X W 79-54

11/3 Lithuanian Academy X W 113-74

11/10 Prairie View A&M W 81-49

11/17 Lamar

Shelby Metcalf Classic W 94-60

11/18 Louisiana Tech

Shelby Metcalf Classic W 75-59

11/19 Saint Louis

Shelby Metcalf Classic W 69-33

11/25 Idaho State W 74-44

11/27 Arkansas-Little Rock W 75-35

12/2 Pacific W 74-62

12/5 @ LSU (9) L 52-64

12/9 vs UCLA (1)

John R. Wooden Classic L 62-65

12/12 Fordham W 84-61

12/16 Jacksonville W 97-58

12/22 @ Auburn W 87-58

12/28 Grambling State W 101-27

1/2 Winthrop W 71-51

1/6 Kansas State* W 69-65

1/9 @ Baylor* W 61-51

1/13 @ Colorado* W 87-69

1/20 Oklahoma State (12)* W 67-49

1/24 @ Texas Tech* L 68-70

1/27 Oklahoma* W 70-61

1/31 Iowa State* W 73-49

2/3 @ Kansas (6)* W 69-66

2/5 Texas (25)*

State Farm Lone Star Showdown W 100-82

2/10 @ Nebraska* W 66-55

2/13 Texas Tech* L 75-77

2/17 @ Oklahoma* W 56-49

2/21 @ Oklahoma State* W 66-46

2/24 Baylor* W 97-87

2/28 @ Texas (15)*

State Farm Lone Star Showdown L 96-98

First off...

Tell me the last time we had the oppurtunity to win a Championship in basketball... SHUT THE HELL UP ND ENJOY IT. How would you feel to be Harold Stewart who has played his damn ASS off this tourney and if they win is derserving of Tourney MVP, and you just happen to jump on GMG.com and you see a four page thread started by an ALUM of his school talking about how bad his team is just hours after winning the second biggest game fo the season with tomorrow being the most important.... We bitch about Dickey's negativity and yet its present RIGHT here

Timing is ALL off on this thread South.

And basing off what you saw tonight with so many forces against them is not fair to the guys to say they are a bad team. I will admit I was NEVER comfortable until the clock showed zeroes.... I didnt like the way the game was going one bit.

WE ARE PLAYING FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP TOMORROW... Forget the negativity...

See ya'll at Fox N hound tomorrow.... If we show up in force the Mavs won't be on... We took over the Burgandy room tonight even though someone was watching some other spare game.

I kept saying the same thing to my buddy, this team isn't very good.

I don't remember anyone predicting us to make it to the final 4?

With that said, our university will be repped on national TV tomorrow night for the first time in 12 years by our BB team. At this time, if anything else is a concern to someone I suggest they call:

1-800-WHOGIVESASHIT?

It's All GREEN and ALL GOOD!

Rick

I am constantly amused to no end by all of the talk of "going to the next level" and whether JJ is the guy to take us there. A quick refresher for those playing at home.

If you're a perennial NCAA tournament participant the "next level" is...the final 4.

If you're perennially on the cusp of being in the tournament the "next level" is...the NCAA tournament.

If you are perenially bowing out in the quarterfinals of your conference tournament the "next level" is...the conference final.

If, like NT, you haven't been in a conference final in over a decade and your last trip to the NCAA tournament was 1988 then the "next level" is...SHUTTING THE HELL UP AND ENJOYING IT.

How do we know this isn't year 1 of an annual trip to the NCAA's? Oh sure, we can assume it's not but let me remind you of a little exchange that took place often on this exact forum just a month or two ago.

Person A: "Hey look, we're winning tonight!"

Person B: "Don't worry, JJ's teams always choke in the end"

20 minutes later

Person A: "We won"

Person B: "We can't keep this up, JJ's teams always choke in the end"

Five games later

Person A: "We've got a chance to win 20 games."

Heading into the conference tourney

Person A: "We've got a first round game on our floor tonight"

Person B: "We'll lose in the first round like we always do, JJ's teams always choke in the end"

After that game

Person A: "I wonder how deep we can go in the tourney?"

Person B: "We'll lose now that we're away from home, JJ's teams always choke in the end."

And now, headed into the conference final, "JJ's teams always choke in the end" has been forced into the revision of "We're not that good of a team."

Pathetic.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

OK, tonight's strategy didn't make for a pretty game, but it produced a big win against a team that just beat a very good team. It could have ended up the other way, so everyone be happy about it. I feel like a chump not being in Lafayette but the work this week will not allow for it. It was great to be able to see North Texas basketball on TV (CSS in the Memphis area). Looking forward to tomorrow night's on ESPN2.

The Mean Green are so close; I really hope they bring it home! It's about time to beat Arkansas State anyway!

I am constantly amused to no end by all of the talk of "going to the next level" and whether JJ is the guy to take us there. A quick refresher for those playing at home.

If you're a perennial NCAA tournament participant the "next level" is...the final 4.

If you're perennially on the cusp of being in the tournament the "next level" is...the NCAA tournament.

If you are perenially bowing out in the quarterfinals of your conference tournament the "next level" is...the conference final.

If, like NT, you haven't been in a conference final in over a decade and your last trip to the NCAA tournament was 1988 then the "next level" is...SHUTTING THE HELL UP AND ENJOYING IT.

Alright then, under this argument - we really should have never let DD go - I mean we went to the "next level" under him because we had not been to a bowl game in 15+ years, and he took us to 4 in a row after all. We are all excited that we are where we are at, there are just some of us that believe we are not that good of a team, just as there are some of you that think it is a good team.....what's the difference? I guess we can't post our opinions if they are not Glowing of JJ and the team?

How do we know this isn't year 1 of an annual trip to the NCAA's? Oh sure, we can assume it's not but let me remind you of a little exchange that took place often on this exact forum just a month or two ago.

Person A: "Hey look, we're winning tonight!"

20 minutes later

Person A: "We won"

Person B: "We can't keep this up, JJ's teams always choke in the end"

Five games later

Person A: "We've got a chance to win 20 games."

Heading into the conference tourney

Person A: "We've got a first round game on our floor tonight"

Person B: "We'll lose in the first round like we always do, JJ's teams always choke in the end"

After that game

Person A: "I wonder how deep we can go in the tourney?"

Person B: "We'll lose now that we're away from home, JJ's teams always choke in the end."

And now, headed into the conference final, "JJ's teams always choke in the end" has been forced into the revision of "We're not that good of a team."

Pathetic.

Regardless of what anyone thinks, let's beat ARKY STATE!! I also expect that we will not have to hear any anti-JJ stuff for awhile. We are one tiny step from the big stage. Even for non-BB fans, this could really plant a seed or two for the next step in our long-term athletic world.

good luck to the team, but damn they are such an enigma. Everything is falling into place for the team.

If JJ gets them to the tourney then he deserves a huge hand for this roller coaster ride of a season.

---Good Grief... ENJOY IT..!!! THIS FUN**..!!

This may not one of the best teams in America (a top ten one) but it is a good one...

A lot of teams would love to win 20+ games and make their tournament finals like we have..

This sure beats what we have been seeing and I hope it is a preview of our future.

Good luck and let us hope they have a good game, win or lose.

___

(some people would gripe if they won a million bucks, they would complain it wasn't more)

**too bad that more students did not go to more games during the regular season,

I guess they thought watching TV or whatever was more fun and created such great memories of their college experience..

15 years years from now they likely won't remember what else they did the night of our playoff game in Denton.. they probably would have remembered the playoff game had they gone..... Think about it.... people should live life and create great memories.

Fooey on the "pessimists" , the "Lazy" , and those who "have no Pride" in themselves and their school anyway..!!!

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

**too bad that more students did not go to more games during the regular season,

I guess they thought watching TV or whatever was more fun and created such great memories of their college experience..

Let's just hope they and alums in the area go more next year. A Tourney appearance should help get it rolling, if we can sustain it. We're losing alot of talent, but we could be pretty good next season as well.

Fell free to rip me, but if today's game is representative of this team then they aren't that good, be realistic.

I mean come on, they have no real offense to speak of. It's pretty much one-on-one and hope somebody gets a shot. They force shots, they have poor spacing, they made a lot of questionable decisions. Those are things you can tell from one game and don't have to see them all season. Maybe today was an off game fine, but it's easy to tell they're not that good. And I don't care about winning 6 of 7, this league stinks.

MTSU is HORRIBLE yet they found a way to stay close throughout. It's ok to take off the green colored glasses every once in awhile.

HOWEVER, let it be known, NT making the tourney will be a close 2nd to the football team winning the New Orleans Bowl.

The Mavs look like sh*t sometimes and get a W, good teams win ugly pal. People like you piss me off. What do you want????? Seriously. A possible tourney bid, probably the furthest this team can POSSIBLY go, and you complain. Go root for someone else....