Doubt About Future Of Cusa ?

MeanGreen61

Post from the Big East board.

While it may not have a direct impact on the Big East, you may find the following of some interest as this relates to college football and the possibility of a new all sports conference.

The future of Conference USA may be in some doubt. The reaons are as follows:

1. ECU has notified C-USA that we are starting to explore the possibility of leaving the conference for football independent status. This is a multi year process because of the Conference rules and the NCAA basketball tournament money. ECU basketball and Olympic sports would go to the Southern Conference

2. So Miss, UAB, Marshall and ECU (Memphis views on this are unknown at this time, as they are keeping their powder dry) are in initial talks about possibly leaving C-USA as a package. Tulane has indicated that they are happy where they are.

3. Initial discussions between the schools above include the possibility of forming a new all sports conference. Schools being talked about as possible new conference members include Troy, Fla Atlantic and Fla International. In addition, UT Chatt has indictaed some interest in upgrading to D-1 status. App State may be interested in the new conference along with a couple of the geographically approriate schools in the MAC. If there are eight schools willing to make the move it could be sooner rather than later.

4. Why? The answewr is two fold. The first and most important is that the Texas schools plus Tulsa have taken command of the conference and are pursuing policies that ECU, Marshall, USM and UAB view as being biased against the non-Texas schools. The old South West Conference mentality is starting to reemerge. That plus the enormous time and expense of sending teams from ECU and Marshall and to a lesser extent UAB and USM to Texas are driving factors. For example, the ECU basebal team flys by charter to most games and can be away from classes for up to four days. It is taking a toll on both the student athlets and the budget.

5. The notice that ECU may be leaving C-USA may also be part of the ongoing off the record contacts between ECU and the Big East about the possibility of ECU joining the Big East if a split does occur.

6. Prelimanary discussions are on going with no dead line for any action.

It will be interesting to watch. 66PIRATE

DOUBT ABOUT FUTURE OF CUSA ? THREAD

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/bigeast/phpb...pic.php?t=23252

Edited by MeanGreen61

----Travel could be a big problem with baseball in that league (and most leagues)... Most NCAA teams play a ridiculous 60 games... Sometimes you wonder if they are students at all or just another form of a minor league system.

---It would not surprise me if the Belt and CUSA "eventually" switch a lot of teams around to become more regional.. I am not guessing when or which ones other than UNT, ULL, and even La Tech would fit well with the western CUSA group.

Guest GrayEagleOne

It's no secret that both ECU and Marshall would like to be in the Big East and are trying to open the door. But, a new conference? That loses all of the validity of this rumor.

In all of the ramblings where did they mention UCF? They, too, would like in the Big East as a partner to South Florida.

---To me Memphis is a Tiger among a houseful of pussycats. They would be the obvious Big East Team for football ---if they were located closer the the rest of the league. ..Who knows what will happen. It may be better to reign in Heaven (CUSA) than serve in Hell (the Big-East) at least basketball-wise. Baylor is learning the same thing...unlike TCU which was not accepted by the Big-XII but is competing quite well in their conference.. Baylor is usually getting clobbered in their conference (excluding women's sports). You have to be careful for what you want, you may get it.....a constantly losing men's program.. Would it be better to be the doormat of the Big-XII or win elsewhere.?? ...good question.

---I am still not convinced the Big East is all that stable because it contains a lot universities that play basketball but have no football programs. It is also way too large it seems (16 basketball teams, one champion). Those two groups could get crosswise with each other because they they don't always see their future the same way....that is largely what happened to the old MVC when we were a member and many left (Louisville, Memphis, UNT, Cincinnati) . The restructuring is far from over.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

A this and that post...to the idea that Baylor might be better off in another league...no way. Just being able to advertise in student recruiting that you compete in the BigXII is a HUGE drawing card. That's the reason all the SWC doormats were so depressed in being kicked out of the SWC. Even though they only won 1 out of 10 years, the publicity was worth it to them.

On CUSA...I think it is only a matter of time before that league reorganizes again. It's just not a powerful enough league to justify all the travel and lack of familiarity (sp) with opponents for very long. I know that the WAC idea was the same deal...though I was for it as a temporary landing spot to build our program, it too would have been too far flung. I would not be surpised if that reorganization didn't happen sooner rather than later. Let Memphis go to where they really want to be and regionalize the leftovers with the SBC players that are ready to make the jump. Then you have a viable conference that will be stable for a very long time.

Edited by the real grad88

A this and that post...to the idea that Baylor might be better off in another league...no way. Just being able to advertise in student recruiting that you compete in the BigXII is a HUGE drawing card. That's the reason all the SWC doormats were so depressed in being kicked out of the SWC. Even though they only won 1 out of 10 years, the publicity was worth it to them.

On CUSA...I think it is only a matter of time before that league reorganizes again. It's just not a powerful enough league to justify all the travel and lack of familiarity (sp) with opponents for very long. I know that the WAC idea was the same deal...though I was for it as a temporary landing spot to build our program, it too would have been too far flung. I would not be surpised if that reorganization didn't happen sooner rather than later. Let Memphis go to where they really want to be and regionalize the leftovers with the SBC players that are ready to make the jump. Then you have a viable conference that will be stable for a very long time.

--I suppose the defenders of the Alamo could have advertised that they were going to eliminate a lot of the Mexican army and be famous --- but the fact is they would not live over it.... that doesn't appeal to a lot of people...now or then. No one wants to lose as much as Baylor does but since it is a free education, they accept those scholarships... Those with NFL aspirations will chose to go elsewhere for sure. I am not so sure many would chose Baylor over TCU for solely football reasons (which was the point of the comment of which conference) .... maybe for other reasons however. If we get to the point we are winning a lot and competive against good competion, we will outrecruit Baylor for many players. Players like to win and the extrememly good ones would to go where they have a better chance to play and make the NFL. A lot of NFL players come from non-BCS colleges that won a great deal.

I believe the CUSA changes will begin with problems or changes in the Big East. (my opinion)

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

--I suppose the defenders of the Alamo could have advertised that they were going to eliminate a lot of the Mexican army and be famous --- but the fact is they would not live over it.... that doesn't appeal to a lot of people...now or then. No one wants to lose as much as Baylor does but since it is a free education, they accept those scholarships... Those with NFL aspirations will chose to go elsewhere for sure. I am not so sure many would chose Baylor over TCU for solely football reasons (which was the point of the comment of which conference) .... maybe for other reasons however. If we get to the point we are winning a lot and competive against good competion, we will outrecruit Baylor for many players. Players like to win and the extrememly good ones would to go where they have a better chance to play and make the NFL. A lot of NFL players come from non-BCS colleges that won a great deal.

I believe the CUSA changes will begin with problems or changes in the Big East. (my opinion)

As far as the Baylor/TCU comparison, if anyone would get the record books out, Baylor's previous 25 before getting the Big 12 nod was much, much better than the Horned Frogs previous quarter century (especially on the gridiron and that was the engine that drove the new Big 12 formation train).

The unfortunate part of this whole thing for TCU was all that school endowment they had been sitting on during most of that 25 years yet................ spending so little of it for athletic venues improvements. Grant Teaff of Baylor seemed to see this split coming well before former TCU AD Frank Windegger (who got caught with his finger stuck in his left nostril concerning the impending SWC break-up). Fact is and from some Horned Frogs I've spoken to, many TCU'ers never forgave their ex AD for much of what he probably had little say in, such as spending some of that TCU endowment for improvements with their overall athletic venues that might have made a big difference had all that been done before the SWC imploded and the Big 12 formation.

I guess one might say UNT can even learn from TCU as far as what facilities can do (or not do) for your school when conference re-alignment time is on the near horizon? :no: TCU was said to have not been considered for the new Big 12 because of their overall facilities and their apparent not wanting to improve them, either (except by lip-service, that is). :rolleyes:

I know I may be in the minority on this, too, but UNT should get that 40,000 seat football palace built ASAP and push like hell to become TCU's travel partner in the Mountain West Conference. That would be better than what is going to (eventually) be left of what will become the former CUSA which will (in essence) be a bunch of maids-in-waiting ex SWC schools living in the past who still cannot draw flies if they were a horse shit factory.

Any of you want UNT to be part of a vibrant conference that can produce a Bowl Championship Series bowl team or (rather) with a bunch of schools who are still living in their glorious SWC past and those schools that were part of the main reason that the SWC imploded in the first place and now their seeming to be in the fore-front of all this latest discontent among other non-Texas CUSA schools? Sure, our being in with those Texas CUSA schools would fit in some of your little conference re-alignment fill in the school puzzles or potential conference lists of schools and we could all bask in their glorious SWC pasts (as they continue to do).............

.................but anyone want to venture a guess as to which one of those Texas CUSA schools would step up to sponsor UNT when its been like pulling teeth in the past to get them on our football schedules for more than just 2 game series? :ph34r: Hellsbells, some of that ex SWC group refuse to join this present milleneum, ie, this present era of reality and still think we are a teacher's college with about 5,000 students at our main campus. :(:)

FWIW, there have been previous rumblings from those eastern bloc and non-Texas CUSA schools before and I don't think we've heard the last of any of those rumblings, either. CUSA is not a stable league. Funny thing is that the SBC might be more stable (even with all its problems of few of its members wanting to be in bed with each other).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

---I do agree that Baylor was the better team to pick as a Big-II member over TCU.... but my point was which would you rather be now... a successful winning team in the Mountain West that has been to some Bowl games or the constant doormat of the Big-XII?? Baylor got what they wanted and also got into a league that they struggling (in men's sports) . If they can improve they will be better off but in 10 years they haven't. That is what I meant by be careful for you ask for.

---Agree we really do need to improve our football stadium situation. The problem is not age as much as modernization and overall set-up. Parts of Texas Memorial and Kyle Field are even older BUT... ours is a bad design to start with with too much space between the field and the stands. ie. Start over and soon.

---I favor CUSA ONLY because of regional match-ups... long term it would not surprise me to see the Belt the better conference. The West-CUSA group contains a lot of small private schools that are not likely to improve much...Houston and UTEP might.... the Belt contains teams that will improve and maybe greatly. I still think the Big East will change up some which will become an domino effort and could change CUSA and the Belt and maybe even the WAC if some if LaTech and NMSU come East again. LaTech is out of place and NMSU would like to in the same conf as UTEP and maybe even us. NMSU is in a tough spot because the Belt is now very far East and the WAC is very far West. They thought they were joining UTEP but then UTEP left the WAC.

---I was proud of our basketball win against LLU last night and the tournament looks wide open with 5-6 teams as possible winner...BUT.... I was really disappointed at the turn-out by fans... especially students who are on campus. They need to realize to sports success and fan support is one indication of being considered a major university. Attendence was much better when we were much smaller ( even in the 60's when we had 13,000 students) ....someone on campus need to get students involved somehow and wake them up... Meanwhile the Texas/A&M game on TV was likely turning people away from the door.... students should realize what this means other than just rankings. We just won 20 games for the first time in nearly 20 years --- to get respect in the state as a university (not just in sports) we need student support especially plus more alum support.

"I know I may be in the minority on this, too, but UNT should get that 40,000 seat football palace built ASAP and push like hell to become TCU's travel partner in the Mountain West Conference"

I would not be opposed to this in the least. B) I do think that could be a possibility, if we keep building our program.

On attendance last night...I agree with the above comment. It is so sad that basketball has fallen so much in attendance. We also had much better attendance in the 80s during the playoffs...remember Tony Worrell (sp) and company. We had 4000-5000 fans at several of those playoff games....mosty students. Where are the students for basketball?

CUSA is not stable because they have programs that are ready to play in a BSC conference and are positioning for that move. Someone mentioned Memphis... Well they only play one game well - Basketball. Probably not what the Big East is looking for. They (big east) had a fairly big showing last year in football and I'm sure that they want to keep this going. If they add another team look for them to be didicated to football and basketball.

If there is to be a move in conferences look for the mid majors to form a super conference. We need that stadium and FAST.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Plumm is pretty much right on in two of his points, build the stadium and push for partnering with (insert name).

The stadium is as near reality as we can get it. If it isn't completed in time for the 2009 season it won't be from lack of effort. I believe that's the target date but it's just not our style to announce anything until we are certain that it will happen. That's not all bad. Maybe we might need to put out reminders occasionally but for the most part we do not need to beat a dead horse. If ground is not broken for the new stadium after this coming season then we should all rise up and offer to volunteer our own services to get it done.

But, the main thought underlying this new stadium is developing relationships with monied people or corporations. We have made good starts with Goldfield, McIngvale and Waranch. Keep it up. When's the last time we saw the Eagle Bus?

The other point was the real gem (no pun intended), partner with someone to get somewhere. In this case, Jim use TCU and the Mountain West, which is probably the best that we could hope to do. I would work hard on that but maybe also try to develop a good relationship with other schools that could help us get to where we want to be. North Texas has had a history of being a Don Quixote. We fight windmills, imagining them to be something that they often are not. Develop friendly relationships wiith with other universities. Network. Partner. Be the good guy off the field. Form rivalries on the field.

The last two months have been eye-opening. I have seen a spirity rising up that I knew was there but wondered if it would ever be developed. The sleeping giant is stirring a little. He may sood be totally awakened.

Plumm is pretty much right on in two of his points, build the stadium and push for partnering with (insert name).

The stadium is as near reality as we can get it. If it isn't completed in time for the 2009 season it won't be from lack of effort. I believe that's the target date but it's just not our style to announce anything until we are certain that it will happen. That's not all bad. Maybe we might need to put out reminders occasionally but for the most part we do not need to beat a dead horse. If ground is not broken for the new stadium after this coming season then we should all rise up and offer to volunteer our own services to get it done.

But, the main thought underlying this new stadium is developing relationships with monied people or corporations. We have made good starts with Goldfield, McIngvale and Waranch. Keep it up. When's the last time we saw the Eagle Bus?

The other point was the real gem (no pun intended), partner with someone to get somewhere. In this case, Jim use TCU and the Mountain West, which is probably the best that we could hope to do. I would work hard on that but maybe also try to develop a good relationship with other schools that could help us get to where we want to be. North Texas has had a history of being a Don Quixote. We fight windmills, imagining them to be something that they often are not. Develop friendly relationships wiith with other universities. Network. Partner. Be the good guy off the field. Form rivalries on the field.

The last two months have been eye-opening. I have seen a spirity rising up that I knew was there but wondered if it would ever be developed. The sleeping giant is stirring a little. He may sood be totally awakened.

I would like to see us get real creative with our scheduling. Is there a way to lure an OSU to play in Denton? Can we structure the contract to get OSU's interested? I think it would be worth our while, even if they get more than they should get.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I would like to see us get real creative with our scheduling. Is there a way to lure an OSU to play in Denton? Can we structure the contract to get OSU's interested? I think it would be worth our while, even if they get more than they should get.

I feel sure that OSU would play in Denton if the money's right. We might have to charge $40 a ticket to meet the guarantee. Until Todd Dodge came along I don't think we'd even consider it, but now they should draw an overflow crowd and still be able to seat 5,000 or so OSU alumni.

GEO, you make some interesting points about the state of the proposed stadium and the attitude you have witnessed recently but are somewhat vague. Care to share some light on your observations of late, or are you not comfortable commenting at this time?

Make no mistake. ECU, Marshall, and UCF are PI$$ED with the current situation.

There is no way that a conference which stretches from the Rocky Mountains of northern Mexico, to the near vicinity of the Great Lakes, to the beaches of southern Florida can stay together much longer.

Sooner or later, the split will happen.

CUSA will look something like this:

UTEP

HOUSTON

RICE

SMU

NORTH TEXAS

TULSA

LOUISIANA TECH

LOUISIANA

TULANE

While the eastern schools will either merge with the rest of the SBC or, more likely, form their own league just like the MWC did.

Make no mistake. ECU, Marshall, and UCF are PI$$ED with the current situation.

There is no way that a conference which stretches from the Rocky Mountains of northern Mexico, to the near vicinity of the Great Lakes, to the beaches of southern Florida can stay together much longer.

Sooner or later, the split will happen.

CUSA will look something like this:

UTEP

HOUSTON

RICE

SMU

NORTH TEXAS

TULSA

LOUISIANA TECH

LOUISIANA (?????????)

TULANE

While the eastern schools will either merge with the rest of the SBC or, more likely, form their own league just like the MWC did.

Would that be Louisiana-Monroe or Louisiana-Lafayette ? There is NO Louisiana listed anywhere at NCAA On-Line, Sun Belt Conference, ESPN,CBS Sportsline, CollegeFootballNews, Yahoo, etc. :huh:

Edited by MeanGreen61

He means Lafayette. Theres a long story on the name of it and how in the 80's they basically called themselvs the University of Louisianna.....however the state made them change that name as it was not official or anything and they had to have it named the University of Louisianna at Lafayette. I kinda wish it was just University of Louisianna but thats just my opinion.

Would that be Louisiana-Monroe or Louisiana-Lafayette ? There is NO Louisiana listed anywhere at NCAA On-Line, Sun Belt Conference, ESPN,CBS Sportsline, CollegeFootballNews, Yahoo, etc. :huh:

That would be THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA at lafayette.

You can learn more at www.louisiana.edu

I'm sorry you are having difficulty with this meangreen.

You see, we are oficially UL-Lafayette, but we are known athletically as the UL Ragin Cajuns, especially locally.

It's a similar situation to the following schools:

UT-Austin(Texas Longhorns)

UC-Berkeley(California Bears)

UN-Lincoln(Nebraska Cornhuskers)

UM-Columbia(Missouri Tigers)

UT-Knoxville(Tennessee Volunteers)

UL-Lafayette(Louisiana Cajuns)

Maybe, over time, you will catch on to this like a lot of other people are.

Thank you for your interest in UL.

He means Lafayette. Theres a long story on the name of it and how in the 80's they basically called themselvs the University of Louisianna.....however the state made them change that name as it was not official or anything and they had to have it named the University of Louisianna at Lafayette. I kinda wish it was just University of Louisianna but thats just my opinion.

It was official.

LSU and their lapdogs in the rest of higher ed. in the state had the law changed retroactively in 1984.

When you hear Cajun fans refer to the university as UL we are only laying claim to what was rightfully ours in 1984.

We will have it again.

You can read the long story of this here:

http://www.angelfire.com/la3/ulragincajuns/battle.html

That would be THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA at lafayette.

You can learn more at www.louisiana.edu

I'm sorry you are having difficulty with this meangreen.

You see, we are oficially UL-Lafayette, but we are known athletically as the UL Ragin Cajuns, especially locally.

It's a similar situation to the following schools:

UT-Austin(Texas Longhorns)

UC-Berkeley(California Bears)

UN-Lincoln(Nebraska Cornhuskers)

UM-Columbia(Missouri Tigers)

UT-Knoxville(Tennessee Volunteers)

UL-Lafayette(Louisiana Cajuns)

Maybe, over time, you will catch on to this like a lot of other people are.

Thank you for your interest in UL.

Comparing Louisiana-lafayette's situation to UT,Cal,Missouri and Tennessee is apples and oranges. Those schools are Flagship schools of larger systems with other schools within their system. Louisiana-Lafayette is a regional school WITHIN a system. A better comparison is UTEP(UT-El Paso); a school within the system. You are recognized athletically as ULL or Louisiana-Lafayette except in Lafayette, Louisiana. The END.

Edited by MeanGreen61