Basketball Success

drex

For us to really attract the kind of Division one talent for football, we need to have a real Division One basketball program. How impressive is it for recruits to visit the Super Pit during football recruiting and see 1,000 people watching JJ's team struggling to polish off the mighty University of New Orleans (or others)? Of course, it could be worse, he could bring the recruits to the early game when the women will be roaming aimlessly around the court trying to hang in with one of women's basketball's bottom feeders in front of 200 fans. When we had Hayden Fry and Bill Blakeley, they often mentioned that each team's success helped the other team's recruiting. Villareal needs to admit that he knows little about basketball and defer to someone to bring in some real coaches for the basketball teams.

He would love some of the Money that Basketball can help to generate.

We need basketball to have success, but look up how many of the D-IA programs make a full year profit some time before this starts becoming gospel truth....

I don't think TD needs basketball sucess but I know NT does.

I agree with this assessment. If successful basketball resulted in successful football, then how do you explain the following football powerhouses?

Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Indiana, etc...

Yes, North Texas does need a successful basketball program, but TD doesn't need it to be successful in football.

We need basketball to have success, but look up how many of the D-IA programs make a full year profit some time before this starts becoming gospel truth....

Why??? There are plenty that do make a prifit. They make it to the NCAA tournament on a fairly consistent basis.

Why don't you go and see how much more money an appearance in the NCAA Basketball tournament nets the UNT vs winning the NO Bowl.

I dont know the numbers myself as UNT is my adopted school (becaues I live in Denton). But I can tell you that I have been told it takes 2-3 bowl game wins in football to equal 1 win in the NCAA basketball tournament at my Alma Mater. Financially, a loss at the NCAA tournament is better then a win in the bowl game for our conferences top Bowl Game (which is a non BCS Bowl) But does pay higher then the NO Bowl.

Why??? There are plenty that do make a prifit. They make it to the NCAA tournament on a fairly consistent basis.

Why don't you go and see how much more money an appearance in the NCAA Basketball tournament nets the UNT vs winning the NO Bowl.

I dont know the numbers myself as UNT is my adopted school (becaues I live in Denton). But I can tell you that I have been told it takes 2-3 bowl game wins in football to equal 1 win in the NCAA basketball tournament at my Alma Mater. Financially, a loss at the NCAA tournament is better then a win in the bowl game for our conferences top Bowl Game (which is a non BCS Bowl) But does pay higher then the NO Bowl.

Why? Because it would verify what you are saying to look it up. Why are you responding to me with anger - you could probably have gotten the information in the time it took you to type that.

I'm sorry you went to a school that didn't teach you how to research, but I'm very glad you are aligning yourself with UNT. You did learn the value of good decision making however you got here.

I'm glad you can tell me what you have been told - what I am asking you is too look at the entire picture. I could make $50,000 one weekand you could make $20,000 that same week, but if at the end of the year, I have a net loss of $70,000 and you make $100,000 (these are all random numbers BTW), it is not hard to see who did better.

If you don't want to look it up fine, but don't restate your original statement and what you heard to respond to a simple "Why doesn't someone look it up" question. Pretty please.

I won't bag on anyone unless they either repeatedly snap at me or just continue to spout crap continuously (it's the Quoner Qode!) so we can either agree to disagree or we can grab the numbers, and all is cool.

Why? Because it would verify what you are saying to look it up. Why are you responding to me with anger - you could probably have gotten the information in the time it took you to type that.

I'm sorry you went to a school that didn't teach you how to research, but I'm very glad you are aligning yourself with UNT. You did learn the value of good decision making however you got here.

I'm glad you can tell me what you have been told - what I am asking you is too look at the entire picture. I could make $50,000 one weekand you could make $20,000 that same week, but if at the end of the year, I have a net loss of $70,000 and you make $100,000 (these are all random numbers BTW), it is not hard to see who did better.

If you don't want to look it up fine, but don't restate your original statement and what you heard to respond to a simple "Why doesn't someone look it up" question. Pretty please.

I won't bag on anyone unless they either repeatedly snap at me or just continue to spout crap continuously (it's the Quoner Qode!) so we can either agree to disagree or we can grab the numbers, and all is cool.

My intention was not to come across as being angry. I was not angry and I do appoligize for the confusion. I do not, however, appreciate the comment about my school especially when I support yours. That did kind of make me angry considering you asked me to look something up first. But this does tell me a lot about you.

I am not going to spend my time looking up something that is basic Athletics Department 101. This school needs desperately to get to an NCAA Tournament. And the math is simple... How much money do you get for winning 1 game in the NCAA tournament vs travel costs. And no it is not about just one trip but the added fan support the following year etc. If you can't see how a trip to the NCAA basketball tournament would benefit ALL of UNT athletics (including football) then fine. That too tells me something about you. If you want to call that a disagreement then fine.

If we were talking in person I would probably say something like "do you want to step outside". Of course I would have a smile on my face and you would be able to tell that I was joking. It is a little more difficult for me to communicate via blogging vs verbal conversation. But I assure you I am not mad.

My intention was not to come across as being angry. I was not angry and I do appoligize for the confusion. I do not, however, appreciate the comment about my school especially when I support yours. That did kind of make me angry considering you asked me to look something up first. But this does tell me a lot about you.

I am not going to spend my time looking up something that is basic Athletics Department 101. This school needs desperately to get to an NCAA Tournament. And the math is simple... How much money do you get for winning 1 game in the NCAA tournament vs travel costs. And no it is not about just one trip but the added fan support the following year etc. If you can't see how a trip to the NCAA basketball tournament would benefit ALL of UNT athletics (including football) then fine. That too tells me something about you. If you want to call that a disagreement then fine.

If we were talking in person I would probably say something like "do you want to step outside". Of course I would have a smile on my face and you would be able to tell that I was joking. It is a little more difficult for me to communicate via blogging vs verbal conversation. But I assure you I am not mad.

For starters, I'm pretty much always kidding.

My response was based on my background and research. Unless something has changed since I researched all of this at the graduate level, about 25-30 athletic departments in D-IA make money and most of them are on the back of football. Football is the most profitable and is usually tasked with covering the others. (Men's) Basketball is profitable at less than 20 schools and almost never covers other operating costs. Basketball will never be our cash cow unless we sell out every game and make the tournament every year. Anyone who doesn't want that is an idiot - we can agree on that.

Yes, I want the basketball program to be successful - my point was not to debate you on that. I like basketball more than football I think when I strip it down, but more NBA than college. I do care about this team and have beat my head against the wall following it since I was a student here. It would be great to have this program so successful that it was simply paying for itself, let alone bringing in a ton of money. That is EXTREMELY hard to do though, and I don't think enough people on here appreciate that. My frustration that came at you is more a general annoyance of when people here call out marketing, pr, how to fix things, etc. with no real concept of what actually does what. I'm by no means a schill for the AD (pretty sure they fear the homo-bit, plus if I get a cut I might be contagious or something), but I do stick up for people when I feel it's appropriate.

Maybe RV sees the overall b-ball situation and thinks I'll commit more to this when I see more fans or more demand. I criticise him all the time, but I see why he would think this way, even if I don't agree.

On a larger scale, It'd be great to have all our sports winning. I may not care about soccer, tennis, volleyball, etc. in general. but if it has an NT on it anywhere, I support it and I am in.

Yes, the NCAA tournament is profitable and I would kill to see this team go, even if it was just to be UNC's bitch in round one.

My disagreement was over a couple of games on their own changing anything, but even in your answer you elaborated enough where you pretty much meant the same thing I did.

In summation - no harm intended by the "your school" crack, go team go, and winning = good.

Handshake? Manly side-arm hug? Can I be so bold as to request a kiss on the lips?

Handshake? Manly side-arm hug? Can I be so bold as to request a kiss on the lips?

WOW... I was ok with the Manly side-arm hug but based on the last question... (no I cant even type it) I will settle for the handshake.. I will be washing my hand after the shake. :rolleyes:

And i will check to make sure that I still have my watch. :lol: