Question For The Masses

Cr1028

We have quite a few people wanting Woody to switch positions. I would like to know how you guys could convince him to do this? The man came to North Texas over ARKANSAS for the sole reason of being a QB. He is from Fayetteville, AR, he could have played for a BCS team in the SEC with at least a shot at a national title. He would have played with McFadden and gotten a more expensive education(not to say it is any better) for free. Why in the wide world of sports would he play DB for us? If I was him and you guys asked me to be a DB for North Texas, I would have Houston Nutt on the phone before you could finish your sentence.

We have quite a few people wanting Woody to switch positions. I would like to know how you guys could convince him to do this? The man came to North Texas over ARKANSAS for the sole reason of being a QB. He is from Fayetteville, AR, he could have played for a BCS team in the SEC with at least a shot at a national title. He would have played with McFadden and gotten a more expensive education(not to say it is any better) for free. Why in the wide world of sports would he play DB for us? If I was him and you guys asked me to be a DB for North Texas, I would have Houston Nutt on the phone before you could finish your sentence.

Houston Nutt's line is probably busy right now, with all the Arkansas players using it to call USC (Mustain being the latest).

He if loses out on the QB battle and refuses to switch positions and be a " TEAM PLAYER " then Arkansas is the perfect fit for him.

I would love to see WW start , but if it's for the benefit of the team that he moves to DB or WR then he should do so. Gain the respect of your teammates , be a leader . No "I" in TEAM. Paul Thompson at OU is a perfect example.

If I were WW , I would want to switch positions. If he has dreams of ever playing in the NFL , he will not get there by being a QB.

Edited by NT03

Dodge will certainly give WW a shot at QB, as he will the others too. TD develops QBs. Woody will either play QB, back up a QB, hold a clipboard, or switch to another position to get PT. It all depends on himself and TD's evaluation. This new offense has to be a potential QB's dream offense.

I, for one, would not ask Woody to switch. I think he was the best QB we had on the field last year -- at least I feel he gave us the best chance to win games last year. It may have been nerve racking at times, but also exciting. Unfortunately DD felt otherwise and pulled him in so many directions that he probably didn't know which way was up. As a result that talent was wasted on the sidelines. Woody is one of those QBs you have to take the reigns off and let him do his thing. DD didn't know what to do with him.

Keith

I, for one, would not ask Woody to switch. I think he was the best QB we had on the field last year -- at least I feel he gave us the best chance to win games last year. It may have been nerve racking at times, but also exciting. Unfortunately DD felt otherwise and pulled him in so many directions that he probably didn't know which way was up. As a result that talent was wasted on the sidelines. Woody is one of those QBs you have to take the reigns off and let him do his thing. DD didn't know what to do with him.

Keith

I think you are spot on. Woody isn't Vince Young but he's a simliar QB. Texas won and won big when Mack Brown stopped trying to reign in Young's game and told him to "go out there and create."

He would have played with McFadden and gotten a more expensive education(not to say it is any better) for free.

Is that so? A more expensive education in ARKANSAS than a college in TX...DFW Metroplex, no less??? :shocking::shocking:

Hey, at least we NT graduates no the difference between lose and loose!!! :thumbsup:

I actually think Woody will be the starter this year. He has more athleticism than any of the other QBs...which I think that fits Dodge ball very well. Dodgeball is not a Pro-type offense. I think it requires a mobile QB...who can run and throw.

The TD press conference had comments about the qualities TD wants in a QB: quick release, and good decision making. So the question comes down to; which of the 4 has those 2 qualities? That's probably where Meager has the best chance. And the slow release is probably what gives Phillips the worst chance.

The TD press conference had comments about the qualities TD wants in a QB: quick release, and good decision making. So the question comes down to; which of the 4 has those 2 qualities? That's probably where Meager has the best chance. And the slow release is probably what gives Phillips the worst chance.

You might think that Phillips has a slow release, but his throwing mechanic is ironically the best of the QBs. He has had a tendency to hang on to the ball instead of dumping it off, though he actually got better at that last fall. Once he makes up his mind to throw, he can get the ball out in a hurry.

Meager's release is actually the slowest one because of the way he cocks his arm back to throw. Watch him next time in practice: instead of the roughly circular traditional delivery, his is more linear, closer to a shotput motion.

I am not sure where the "more expensive education" comes from between Arkansas and UNT. The only difference is the out of state tuition, which he would not have had to pay that since he was from up there.

Houston Nutt's line is probably busy right now, with all the Arkansas players using it to call USC (Mustain being the latest).

or all of the alumni calling to ask him to leave. Houston Nutt is our version of DD. He will get you some good seasons ever so often, but will never take you to the level.

Woody Wilson will not play at North Texas except as a QB.

If he is the third or even fourth QB once the season starts, and he is not willing to move to get either more playing time or to help the team out, then so be it. The simple fact that we were the only school willing to put the guy on scholarship to play QB in D1 should tell you something about his ability to play QB.

The simple fact that we were the only school willing to put the guy on scholarship to play QB in D1 should tell you something about his ability to play QB.

He did more in one game and showed more in one game than any of the other QB's on the roster combined. Sad, but true.

So what does that tell you about the QB situation at NT??

You can look at it two ways:

1. The QB corps is really bad.

2. WW is really raw but has potential.

Take your pick.

I choose to lean towards #2.

:shuriken:

Edited by Got5onIt

Maybe so, but if my choice is between a guy that no one wanted to play QB that is raw but has potential, and a player of the year at QB that has potential and knows the offense, give me that guy all day long. I see what you are saying, but I just don't see WW playing QB here....but then again, I never saw DD coaching here 9 seasons either, so what do I know.

He did more in one game and showed more in one game than any of the other QB's on the roster combined. Sad, but true.

So what does that tell you about the QB situation at NT??

You can look at it two ways:

1. The QB corps is really bad.

Take your pick.

I choose to lean towards #2.

:shuriken:

Again, I would like to see what this QB corps can do with an actual coach teaching them.

Maybe so, but if my choice is between a guy that no one wanted to play QB that is raw but has potential, and a player of the year at QB that has potential and knows the offense, give me that guy all day long. I see what you are saying, but I just don't see WW playing QB here....but then again, I never saw DD coaching here 9 seasons either, so what do I know.

You can't teach athleticism, but I agree with you, playing QB involves skill, smarts, & confidence. I think Dodge can bring that to all of our players.

:)

the big question is....how much quality coachign were these guys getting? Were they put in a position to play well and execute. No...not in my opinion...Meager hasn't improved in 3 years, Phillips is slow and doesn't have the cannon that many of you think he has....woody has the best shot but he has to get a ton of reps. The guy hadn't played a ton of football for the past 2 years. He has to come in and learn this crappy offense that doesn't take advantage of his speed. We should've been going 4 wides last year to get all the guys out of the box. Look at his runs against UT and SMU...the guy can flat out do it. We have to give him a legit chance.

Tune...I haven't seen so I can't say.

You can't teach athleticism, but I agree with you, playing QB involves skill, smarts, & confidence. I think Dodge can bring that to all of our players.

:)

----Gordon Wood (Brownwood coach that won 400+ games and 9 state Championships) always said he preferred to have a smart QB over one with perhaps more ability because a smart one will usually make good decisions and the other often won't. The lesser one that makes bad decisions will cost you more games than he wins with his ability. The smart guy also is more likely to earn the respect and confidence of his team mates. I know nothing about WW but it seems that he would be better off playing another position, he came from a JC program and I really don't know why he did not go to D-I to start with. In the JC where I work, some of the athletes are either perceived as not D-I in ability but most seem to have academic problems and may have not met the NCAA standards to play D-I.

---Sam Harrell at Ennis was one of Woods QBs and won state with him. . I think he was also the HS valedictorian..... I know one was and several were close...... and they won ... a lot. Look at most NFL QBs and listen to them talk.... it is obvious that most of them are very intelligent people (especially Brady and Manning). With a passing offense you really need an intelligent guy back there that makes good decisions...... that is not exactly the case when you run all the time because he knows exactly what he has to do... which is likely --- "hand it off to a certain person".

---Trust me, Dodge wins... he will play the guy that will make good decisions and maybe not the best athlete. Turnovers ( especially interceptions) and mental screw-ups lose most games that are fairly close.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

----Gordon Wood (Brownwood coach that won 400+ games and 9 state Championships) always said he preferred to have a smart QB over one with perhaps more ability because a smart one will usually make good decisions and the other often won't. The lesser one that makes bad decisions will cost you more games than he wins with his ability. The smart guy also is more likely to earn the respect and confidence of his team mates. I know nothing about WW but it seems that he would be better off playing another position, he came from a JC program and I really don't know why he did not go to D-I to start with. In the JC where I work, some of the athletes are either perceived as not D-I in ability but most seem to have academic problems and may have not met the NCAA standards to play D-I.

---Sam Harrell at Ennis was one of Woods QBs and won state with him. . I think he was also the HS valedictorian..... I know one was and several were close...... and they won ... a lot. Look at most NFL QBs and listen to them talk.... it is obvious that most of them are very intelligent people (especially Brady and Manning). With a passing offense you really need an intelligent guy back there that makes good decisions...... that is not exactly the case when you run all the time because he knows exactly what he has to do... which is likely --- "hand it off to a certain person".

---Trust me, Dodge wins... he will play the guy that will make good decisions and maybe not the best athlete. Turnovers ( especially interceptions) and mental screw-ups lose most games that are fairly close.

True, but athleticism can make up for bad decisions easier than a good decision can against athleticism. Moreso in High School & College.

the big question is....how much quality coachign were these guys getting? Were they put in a position to play well and execute. No...not in my opinion...Meager hasn't improved in 3 years, Phillips is slow and doesn't have the cannon that many of you think he has....woody has the best shot but he has to get a ton of reps. The guy hadn't played a ton of football for the past 2 years. He has to come in and learn this crappy offense that doesn't take advantage of his speed. We should've been going 4 wides last year to get all the guys out of the box. Look at his runs against UT and SMU...the guy can flat out do it. We have to give him a legit chance.

Tune...I haven't seen so I can't say.

I agree with you on Phillips and Meager. If either one of them ends up our starter, they will have earned it and we will all support them. But, that being said, I think WW looked better last year than the other two. He was more mobile. If he called his own plays, that could be good or bad. It could show his willingness to take control or it could mean he doesn't follow the game plan ( even though i agree with disgust of running it up the gut repeatedly ).