Ot: Parcells Resigning

Here is Parcells' full statement:

"I am retiring from coaching football. I want to thank Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones for their tremendous support over the last four years,” Bill Parcells said in a statement.

“Also, the players, my coaching staff and others in the support group who have done so much to help. Dallas is a great city and the Cowboys are an integral part of it. I am hopeful that they are able to go forward from here.

"I am in good health and feel lucky to have been able to coach in the NFL for an extended period of time.

"I leave the game and the NFL with nothing but good feelings and gratitude to all the players, coaches and other people that have assisted me in that regard."

Edited by TicketJohn

this is great news for the cowboys. In my opinion, Parcells refusal to adapt to the way the game is played these days and his disinterest in developing a QB have hurt the Cowboys the last few years.

Found this off SI.com. looks like the Arkansas connections are very much alive and well

Rumors have persisted for months that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones might consider hiring Houston Nutt in some capacity, either as a coach or front office executive.

-- Northwest Arkansas Morning News

Purely a rumor, but interesting nonetheless.

Bob Stoops is another intriguing name. I have heard that the Cowboys job is one of the only NFL jobs in which he would have interest.

Edited by Eagle1855

this is great news for the cowboys. In my opinion, Parcells refusal to adapt to the way the game is played these days and his disinterest in developing a QB have hurt the Cowboys the last few years.

Found this off SI.com. looks like the Arkansas connections are very much alive and well

Purely a rumor, but interesting nonetheless.

Bob Stoops is another intriguing name. I have heard that the Cowboys job is one of the only NFL jobs in which he would have interest.

I think Parcells was an excellent coach. It was genius in developing Romo and taking a risk on naming him starter. He was smart in moving Ellis to LB. The defense was just fine till that point. I think what success was received by this team this year is due to his decisions.

Edited by Travis

I think Parcells was an excellent coach. It was genius in developing Romo and taking a risk on naming him starter. He was smart in moving Ellis to LB. The defense was just fine till that point. I think what success was received by this team this year is due to his decisions.

I don't think Parcells had any choice but to try Romo as the starter with the level of awfulness Bledsoe was bringing to the table, but thats just my opinion. Romo wasn't exactly "brilliant" the last 4-5 games as a starter. In fact, he looked very pedestrian. Sometimes backups enjoy a lot of success because teams dont know a lot about them. once they figure out how to frustrate the QB, you see what the guy is really made of. I think Romo is a fine QB, I just wouldnt call the move "genius".

I think a lot of the success the team enjoyed this year was due to the fact that the Cowboys have a very talented team and the case could be made that they actually underachieved this year.

Because we all know how hiring an OU head coach works for the benefit for the Cowboys. I wonder what Stoops' hangun collection is like...

I vote for Jerry Jones to bite the bullet, apologize, and bring back Jimmy Johnson.

Parcells did not get it done at Dallas for one reason...Terrell Owens. Jones bringing Owens in destroyed the chemistry on the team and made the whole season about himself. There is a reason that Owens can't make it work anywhere, and he should have never been brought to Dallas. He has wonderful physical tools but a selfish and sucky attitude that divides the lockerroom psyche. Team chemistry is a must if you are going to be a playoff contender. We don't have it.

Parcells did not get it done at Dallas for one reason...Terrell Owens. Jones bringing Owens in destroyed the chemistry on the team and made the whole season about himself. There is a reason that Owens can't make it work anywhere, and he should have never been brought to Dallas. He has wonderful physical tools but a selfish and sucky attitude that divides the lockerroom psyche. Team chemistry is a must if you are going to be a playoff contender. We don't have it.

That is way too simplistic. Don't buy into it. I agree Owens was annoying and a distraction. But don't let Parcells off the hook for his failures to solve the QB problem, build both lines, and fix the defense. He lucked into Romo. There isn't one Parcells draft pick on the starting O-line. We have complained all year that the D-line can't put pressure on the QB.

I can't stand Owens either, but to say that he is the sole reason that Parcells could not win a playoff game in 4 years is off the mark.

That is way too simplistic. Don't buy into it. I agree Owens was annoying and a distraction. But don't let Parcells off the hook for his failures to solve the QB problem, build both lines, and fix the defense. He lucked into Romo. There isn't one Parcells draft pick on the starting O-line. We have complained all year that the D-line can't put pressure on the QB.

I can't stand Owens either, but to say that he is the sole reason that Parcells could not win a playoff game in 4 years is off the mark.

very true would have been nice for Newman and Williams to actually have played some sort of pass defense over the second half of the season and then maybe the Cowboys could have been playing at home rather than up in the NW. Also if Owens would have caught half the balls that hit him in the numbers maybe 1-2 more important games could have been won. Oh well now we get a long off-season to watch JJ screw up this hire.

Others being mentioned on ESPN. Bill Cowher, Charlie Wies, Bob Stoops, Norv Turner.

Alway's liked Norv Turner.

Rick

My money is on Norv Turner being the next Cowboy's head coach. I'm not saying that I think that's a good or bad thing... but I don't see Jones bringing in a college head coach, and I head that Norv Turner had already been contacted as a candidate.