End Of Year Predictions ?

NT03

I don't know about you guys , but Ive never been more excited about a BB WIN than I was the other night when I listended to the WKU game. I knew that game would be a true test for our men. It takes something special to go on the road vs. the best of the SBC , being without your top scorer and coming off a heartbreaking OT loss to NO. My expectations have know risen. Since there are no longer polls :angry: just wandering everyone else's crystal ball.

SBC Champions , going to the BIG Dance

NIT bound , lose in SBC tourney , finish w/ 18+ wins

NIT snub , even with the 18 + wins

@ Home , go on drought finish around .500 again

JJ's gone , we go on horrible losing streak finish under .500

Edited by NT03

As much as I want to see us in the BIG DANCE , I think we will land in the NIT. I hope to HELL I'm wrong , but I wasn't expecting to get my dancing shoes on till 08.

To the peeps on here who have followed NT BB for awhile , have we ever been in the NIT ? I know we went to the BIG DANCE in the mid 80s vs. UNC and that our women went to the NIT a few years back , but have the Men ever been in the NIT ??

Whether it's the BIG DANCE or the NIT , can't wait to get a party bus together and make a road trip!!!

I think we win about 20 games, and goto the NIT.

And I don't believe we've ever gone to the NIT. I actually think it might be better for us to goto the NIT, because we'd have a better chance to win a round or two and learn how to win in postseason play - to prepare us for the next year when we DO goto the Big Dance. ;)

I think we win about 20 games, and goto the NIT.

And I don't believe we've ever gone to the NIT. I actually think it might be better for us to goto the NIT, because we'd have a better chance to win a round or two and learn how to win in postseason play - to prepare us for the next year when we DO goto the Big Dance. ;)

Great Point!

I say we finish 22-9 and are NIT bound!!!

Where's all this negativity coming from with ruling out the NCAA's? We just beat our main competition a few days ago on the road without our #1 scorer! I would say our chances are a solid 50/50 of winning the SBC tourney. Our team certainly is talented enough, and it might just finally be our time for a little overdue luck.

Where's all this negativity coming from with ruling out the NCAA's? We just beat our main competition a few days ago on the road without our #1 scorer! I would say our chances are a solid 50/50 of winning the SBC tourney. Our team certainly is talented enough, and it might just finally be our time for a little overdue luck.

The team may be good enough but JJ has yet to make much noise during the Conference Tourney. He has to prove to me he can coach a win during that time before I will start thinking NCAAs.

It's coming from people who have watched the team the past few years. It's amazing how people can be called negative for not putting UNT into the NCAAs when JJ's teams fizzle out half way through every season and have done absolutely nothing in the conference tournament, even when we hosted it. Newsflash for you, but in order to make the NCAAs we will have to win the conference tournament. Take a look at the conference tournament results since JJ has been here. It's not negativity, it's being realistic.

It's coming from people who have watched the team the past few years. It's amazing how people can be called negative for not putting UNT into the NCAAs when JJ's teams fizzle out half way through every season and have done absolutely nothing in the conference tournament, even when we hosted it. Newsflash for you, but in order to make the NCAAs we will have to win the conference tournament. Take a look at the conference tournament results since JJ has been here. It's not negativity, it's being realistic.

You said it. I agree that we can WIN the SBC and go onto the BIG DANCE because we have the talent to do so. But , until this team can string a few WINS together during the most crucial time of the year ( SBC tourney) we will be at best be playing in the NIT.

Edited by NT03

Until we win more of the games we're suppose to win (UNO and UTA), I don't have these little butterflies in my stomache telling me we're going to get more then 2 rounds in the conference tourney. I still want to wait to see how we'll do for the remainder of the regular season before I make any bold predictions of NCAAs and NIT bids.

I love how our "fans" are so optimistic about our chances.. this board makes me sad to be a UNT fan

I do agree with you about the never ending pessimism among some on this board. Some people seem to think that past performance is always indicative of future results which is simply not true. To say that we can't win the SBC tourney simply because we haven't beat every team that we were supposed to beat (N.O. and UTA) is like saying that Kansas can't win their tourney because they lost to Oral Roberts (5-6) and Depaul (8-5). It would be great if we could win them all, but that only seems to work for the truly great teams.

I've been following this team since the late 70's so I've had plenty of disappointments to deal with in my time. At the very least, this team looks to me to have more relative talent than any since the Blakeley era, so I'm not about to say we can't win the tourney simply because JJ hasn't taken us anywhere during his tenure. Not only is this a new year and a different basketball team, but there's no doubt that JJ has had to deal with a bit of a learning curve in becoming a D1 head coach. Just how much he has learned at this point is certainly a matter for debate. We shall see over the next couple of months. Merry Christmas!

I would consider an NIT bid a success IF, AND ONLY IF, North Texas were to secure a first round game at home.

Being shipped off to be somebody elses fodder in the first round does NOTHING to build the program. We need some home events to jump start the basketball program. We need BIG events, with everything (and I do mean everything) possible done to fill the entire arena with fans. The perception of North Texas basketball can change almost instantly if we let it.

Speaking of that, when has North Texas hosted an NIT tournament game in basketball (or even back in 1AA football playoffs for that matter)? It seems North Texas has historically taken the easy cash and sold the game to the opponent, and subsequently never wins.

So waiting for JJ to show he can do something in the second half of the conference schedule and in the conference tournament before putting UNT into the NCAA tournament makes people pessimistic and negative? How many seasons has he had? Didn't we recently have the conference tournament at home and still lose in the first round? And someone said he is taking this team to the Sweet 16?