Todd Dodge has defensive coordinators

Green Grenade II

Poor defensive coordinators. I watched Southlake Carroll. Every time they went to the line of scrimmage on offense (always in the shotgun and with no huddle), they would line up in formation (with wide receivers sideline to sideline)...then they would all (at the same time) turn and look over at Coach Dodge...he would make several hand signals, etc...then they would run the play. My favorite was the shuffle pass. Allen Eagles never figured it out. Southlake Carroll ran them ragged with it all day.

It was 31-0 at haltime...38-0 final score....and it wasn't that close. Allen Eagle fans found an early exit. Had to do some Christmas shopping

We are in for some really exciting football at North Texas.

GO! MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!

Poor defensive coordinators. I watched Southlake Carroll. Every time they went to the line of scrimmage on offense (always in the shotgun and with no huddle), they would line up in formation (with wide receivers sideline to sideline)...then they would all (at the same time) turn and look over at Coach Dodge...he would make several hand signals, etc...then they would run the play. My favorite was the shuffle pass. Allen Eagles never figured it out. Southlake Carroll ran them ragged with it all day.

It was 31-0 at haltime...38-0 final score....and it wasn't that close. Allen Eagle fans found an early exit. Had to do some Christmas shopping

We are in for some really exciting football at North Texas.

GO! MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!

I have a feeling the casual fans that we have had during the DD era will be very confused early on this year laugh.gif

It will definitely be interesting. But quite frankly, there are many HS programs using variations of this offense. I watched a HS game last month between Lake Worth and Castleberry. Castleberry runs almost exactly the same offense, with the QB looking to the sideline before the snap, and the coach signaling the play.

No huddle. Spread formations.

They did not have a lot of success in the first half, as Lake Worth jumped out to a 3 score lead at the half. Castleberry found some success in the second half, but they lost, 30-something to 20-something. Bullfrogs used a lot of pro sets, and I, and ran and dinked it down the field.

TD will definitely bring a fresh approach. I look forward to seeing how well he utilizes the talent UNT has. That will be part of the fun next year, for sure.

It will definitely be interesting.  But quite frankly, there are many HS programs using variations of this offense.  I watched a HS game last month between Lake Worth and Castleberry.  Castleberry runs almost exactly the same offense, with the QB looking to the sideline before the snap, and the coach signaling the play.

No huddle.  Spread formations.

They did not have a lot of success in the first half, as Lake Worth jumped out to a 3 score lead at the half.  Castleberry found some success in the second half, but they lost, 30-something to 20-something.  Bullfrogs used a lot of pro sets, and I, and ran and dinked it down the field.

TD will definitely bring a fresh approach.  I look forward to seeing how well he utilizes the talent UNT has.  That will be part of the fun next year, for sure.

Discipline and repetition are also keys to TD's offense. It was mentioned in an article that at one practice they had to run a certain play perfectly 10 times before practice was ended. ohmy.gif

Would you believe the Carrol staff inserted their no huddle play calling after attending Andy McCollum's summer coaching camp back in '02? In the 4 years since whenever I have had a chance to watch them play I have never seen Carrol even come close to getting a Delay of Game penalty. Not once.

Huddle or No-Huddle isn't what causes delay of game penalties. The penalties are caused when the Qb looks over for the play, and the OC is too busy yelling at a fan or trying to choke another coach.

In the 4 years since whenever I have had a chance to watch them play I have never seen Carrol even come close to getting a Delay of Game penalty.  Not once.

You mean you haven't seen them get a "delay of game" penalty, then call a TO, and then right out of the TO, they get another "delay of game?"

What about game after game of "unsportsman like" penalties?

You probably haven't seen them do too many draws on 3rd and 40 either I guess.

laugh.gif

You probably haven't seen them do too many draws on 3rd and 40 either I guess.

ph34r.gif Ahhh I will miss that.........NOT!!! laugh.gif

I believe SLC Coach Ledbetter ran in new backs and recivers every play against Dangerfield in the late 80s or early 90s with no huddle.  Dangerfield had no clue what to do in about a 49-0 playoff beating.

...........at Texas Stadium I might add. That night I watched the 3A Dynasty torch being passed on. Speaking of Daingerfield, there will never probably be a more dominating HS football team than the '83 Tigers went 15-0 without being scored on enroute to a 16-0 season. And that includes any class.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I saw the Tigers play a couple of years ago against Midland Greenwood? at Coppell and Thomas Everett was on the sidelines helping out. He's done so ever since he retired I believe.

If you put in a search for "Best Ever Texas HS Team", or something of that sort you will get a lot of HS message boards with a similar debate of "Best Ever" and it's hands down that the '83 Daingerfield Tigers were one of, if not the best. This one team placed several players in D-1 programs and I believe 3 players into the NFL, all from a school that had roughly 500 kids total. I was very fortunate to have had one of my closest friends from HS and future NT roommate whose fathers' family from Daingerfield. Towards the middle of that '83 season he started getting calls from them telling him about how amazing this team was. So when we could we got in the car and started to go watch, especialy during the playoffs. They played the semi final game against Post at Fort Worth's Clark Stadium down on South Loop 820 near Tarrant County Colleges' South Campus. Post had at the time, the state's leading rusher I believe, and the current all time 3A leading rusher that night. He ended up with negative yards by the time Daingerfield was through with him. I remember Dale Hanson was there to do a story on the team and the town because the success of the team was part of the healing process the town had been going through from lost jobs, a horriblly declining economy and mostly a church that was previously shot up, killing many by a local college professor gone mad.

In regards to the '83 (3A) Daingerfield team, 16-0 with 14 shutouts doesn't tell the whole story. Their defense was never scored on. Interestingly the team(Carthage) that did actually score a TD on them by returning an interception for 6, finished 11-3 and made it to the 4A Semifinals. Seeing them play, and seeing how they made it look rediculous towards the end of that season is why they would have beaten most team in any classification, including the 5A teams.

Daingerfield 35 Kilgore 2 (4-A Kilgore secured a safety against Daingerfield's offense)

Daingerfield 14 Gilmer 0 (6-4 3-A team)

Daingerfield 10 Carthage 6 (4-A State Semifinalist Carthage (11-3 record) intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown. Extra point no good)

Daingerfield 27 Linden-Kildare 0 (Linden-Kildare 7-3-1 3-A playoff team)

Daingerfield 42 Omaha Paul Pewitt 0 (Paul Pewitt finished 3-7 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 32 Hughes Springs 0 (Hughes Springs 3-7 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 76 Queen City 0 (Queen City 0-10 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 48 DeKalb 0 (DeKalb 6-4 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 45 Hooks 0 (Hooks 5-5 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 56 New Boston 0 (New Boston 6-4 in 3-A)

The Playoffs

Bi-District: Daingerfield 43 Clarksville 0 (Clarksville 4-7)

Area: Daingerfield 22 Robinson 0 (Robinson 11-1)

Regional: Daingerfield 46 Kaufman 0 (Kaufman 12-1)

Quarterfinal: Daingerfield 51 Gladewater 0 (Gladewater 12-2)

Semifinal: Daingerfield 42 Post 0 (Post 13-2)

State Championship: Daingerfield 42 Sweeny 0 (Sweeny 12-2-2)

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I saw the Tigers play a couple of years ago against Midland Greenwood? at Coppell and Thomas Everett was on the sidelines helping out.  He's done so ever since he retired I believe. 

If you put in a search for "Best Ever Texas HS Team", or something of that sort you will get a lot of HS message boards with a similar debate and it's hands down that the '83 Daingerfield Tigers were one of, if not the best.  This one team placed several players in D-1 programs and I believe 3 players into the NFL, all from a school that had roughly 500 kids total.  I was very fortunate to have had one of my closest friends from HS and future NT roommate have all of his fathers family from Daingerfield.  Towards the end of that '83 season he started getting calls from them telling him about how amazing this team was.  So when we could we got in the car and started to go watch, especialy in the playoffs.  They played the semi final game against Post at Fort Worth's Clark Field down on South Loop 820 near Tarrant County Colleges' South Campus.  Post had the state's leading rusher I believe, and the all time 3A leading rusher still that night.  He ended up with negative yards by the time Daingerfield got ahold of him.  I remember Dale Hanson was there to do a story on the team and the town because the success of the team was part of the healing process the town had been going through from lost jobs, a horriblly declining economy and mostly a church that was previously shot up, killing many by a local college professor gone mad. 

In regards to the '83 (3A) Daingerfield team, 16-0 with 14 shutouts doesn't tell the whole story. Their defense was never scored on.  Interestingly the team(Carthage) that did actually score a TD on them by returning an interception for 6, finished 11-3 and made it to the 4A Semifinals.  Seeing them play, and seeing how they made it look rediculous towards the end of that season is why they would have beaten most team in any classification, including the 5A teams. 

Daingerfield 35 Kilgore 2 (4-A Kilgore secured a safety against Daingerfield's offense)

Daingerfield 14 Gilmer 0 (6-4 3-A team)

Daingerfield 10 Carthage 6 (4-A State Semifinalist Carthage (11-3 record) intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown. Extra point no good)

Daingerfield 27 Linden-Kildare 0 (Linden-Kildare 7-3-1 3-A playoff team)

Daingerfield 42 Omaha Paul Pewitt 0 (Paul Pewitt finished 3-7 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 32 Hughes Springs 0 (Hughes Springs 3-7 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 76 Queen City 0 (Queen City 0-10 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 48 DeKalb 0 (DeKalb 6-4 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 45 Hooks 0 (Hooks 5-5 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 56 New Boston 0 (New Boston 6-4 in 3-A)

The Playoffs

Bi-District: Daingerfield 43 Clarksville 0 (Clarksville 4-7)

Area: Daingerfield 22 Robinson 0 (Robinson 11-1)

Regional: Daingerfield 46 Kaufman 0 (Kaufman 12-1)

Quarterfinal: Daingerfield 51 Gladewater 0 (Gladewater 12-2)

Semifinal: Daingerfield 42 Post 0 (Post 13-2)

State Championship: Daingerfield 42 Sweeny 0 (Sweeny 12-2-2)

Rick

Those are some sick definsive numbers, and I for sure didn't see that team, but there is huge difference between 3A and 5A. I trust you though, if there was a team that could do it, I suppose it could have been this team.

Those are some sick definsive numbers, and I for sure didn't see that team, but there is huge difference between 3A and 5A.  I trust you though, if there was a team that could do it, I suppose it could have been this team.

That was the beauty of this team, that they were being compared with the top teams in the upper classes, and shortly after the season was over there was talk of the town trying to convince the UIL to allow them to do a fundraiser game against Permian that year. Considering I saw Permian play that year I would have placed my money on Daingerfield. The funny part was that the teams that passed couldn't get a pass off and any chance to run against them was as I said, just rediculous. Also, this team had no kicker. They missed most of their PAT's and usually would simply go for two. They would kick off a squibber every time and the other team would often times fall on it with good field position. 3 plays later they were nearly punting out of their own endzone. I never understood that how so much talent on one team didn't have at least one kid who played soccer?

Like I said, I'm very fortunate enough to have seen them play as I would have never believed how good they were had I not of. And to think that after 23 years they are still remembered by so many who did as well leads me to believe that was one of the most special teams in history.

Rick

By the way, I was at the Carthage/Dangerfield game in 83. Still the best High School football game I have ever seen. And I have seen a bunch! Dangerfield scored thier TD on a double reverse pass.

Also, I now coach in Carthage (well at least as of now) and one of the guys on our staff played for that Dangerfield team.

Best High School defense ever, period.

BTW, I am excited by the TD hire, he was at NT when I was there and he is a great coach and a great guy. Stick behind him and support him and there is no telling where he will take us.

I remember I was once told that they had 10 DI players that year. You have any idea if that's true or not ?

It could have been that many? I can't remember. I do however remember that in the 90's when Everett was with the Cowboys that in one game he faced another Daingerfield teammate who played for the Packers. Two guys from the same 3A school playing against each other has to be fairly rare.

Rick