NT great Zeke Martin passes away

SUMG

Hey North Texas Fans,

I just saw that Zeke Martin passed away, and my heart sank. Back in 2000 when my wife Tara and I were wondering what we were going to do for our honeymoon, Zeke and his wife offered us a week at one of his time-share locations. Tara and I spent our honeymoon at Fairmont Hot Springs up near Banff in Canada. We have always thought the world of them for that kindness.

Also, just saw him back in early October at the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. It was a joy to shake his hand again and see that smile. I'll sure miss seeing him around when I make it back in town.

Oh yea, I hear he was some-kind of quarterback, too.

Mitch Maher

As always, it's wonderful to hear from "Air" Maher. Boy we could use some of your spirit to rub off on our current offense. I would imagine fans/alumni would have a lot of questions for you as the process changes from our run based offense to a pass(assuming we do that).

I have one question myself. What is your oppinion of, and what was it like to play under Todd Dodge. Anything you have to offer would be appreciated.

Don't be a stranger here at GMG.com.

Rick

I've always wondered if "Zekes" was owned by Zeke Martin. It was located directly across from the old lab school, where the athletic department had it's offices. One time back in 72 while I was working for the University, we took a break at Zekes. Rod Rust came over to get a soda and visited with us for a while.

I never got to meet Zeke Martin, but I've heard a lot of very good things about him.

Big loss for the school.

Edited by SilverEagle

Hey Rick,

Coach Dodge is great—a great coach and a great man. He was actually one of my groomsmen in my wedding.

Even in those early days of his coaching career he was a great teacher, intense motivator, and the second most competitive person around (2nd only to me!).

I think he would do a great job at North Texas, and as I told him, I'd love to see him up in Jonesboro every other year!

We'll see what happens.

Take care,

Mitch Maher

Hey Rick,

Coach Dodge is great—a great coach and a great man. He was actually one of my groomsmen in my wedding.

Even in those early days of his coaching career he was a great teacher, intense motivator, and the second most competitive person around (2nd only to me!).

Oh Man! This is sounding better and better all the time.

Mitch, as far as being "competitive" I'd put you right up there with my favorite...Jordan Case.

My all-time list of competitive QB's at North Texas.

1. (tie) Jordan Case and Mitch Maher

2. Scott Davis

3. Scott Hall

4. Greg Carter

Shocked to see Mitch Maher on the board, wow how have you been are you residing in Arkansas now....

I was in Middle School in Denton at the time you were playing QB at NT and breaking records, you were my all-time favorite QB at NT. I remembered the stats you put at that time and also keep reminding myself that we could always use a little more Mitch Maher here at UNT.

Great hearing from you, you are defiantely a class act and a person I would love to see as a QB's coach under our new head coaching staff.

Take care and feel free to drop as often as you can. MEAN GREEN FOREVER!!!!!

Like Playmaker, I remember reading about Mitch in the DRC and listening on the radio(I was in Jr. High and HS). I believe I only saw him play in person 2 times unfortunately, but he lit it up both times(though we lost both games IIRC).

Truly great to see him on the board!

Hey Guys,

I always appreciate the encouraging stories.

1. I'd love to see Coach Dodge gets the job.

2. But, I was telling my wife, all of my passing records will be gone shortly!

3. Playmaker, if Coach Dodge is around, you don't want anybody else coaching QBs.

I've been watching the board lately to keep up with the Coach Dodge buzz and felt compelled to post about Zeke Martin's passing. What a great man.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement, and I'll be anxious to see who gets the head coaching job.

Mitch Maher

Mitch could be the team chaplain and the QB coach.

Mitch Maher-

Mitch grew up in Plano, TX, attending First Baptist Church of Plano. Through that church and a great home, Mitch came to know Jesus Christ as Savior when he was 12 years old. Mitch moved on to the University of North Texas in Denton where he quarterbacked the football team and earned a Bachelor in Business Administration in 1995. Because of a passion for ministry, he began Dallas Theological Seminary in the fall of 1995 where he earned a Masters of Theology (Pastoral Leadership) in 2000. From 1996 to 2001 Mitch worked with the Young Singles Ministry of Denton Bible Church, serving as the Director for over three years. With a passion for the local church, communicating God’s truth, equipping believers for the ministry, and raising up young men in the faith, Mitch eagerly accepted the opportunity to join in planting Fellowship Bible Church of Jonesboro.

Back to Zeke Martin. When Gene Stallings spoke at the Superpit to the Mean Green faithful, Zeke spoke and said that it was Stallings that caused him to quit coaching at Denton High School because they were beat so bad by the team he played for (I think it was Paris High School). He subsequently founded Eagle-Martin Oil which continues to be a big supporter of the Mean Green.